Pointless QB exercise Topic

Eh, in agreement with toddcommish.

How bout we just post a poll with everyone's picks asking for the best group, then the next post can be asking for the worst group.
2/25/2013 12:55 PM
We can do that too.

I'm sure no one on this board would vote one way or the other based on their interactions with the users. 
2/25/2013 1:19 PM
I'll suggest that when we vote for the best group, we have the caveat that we cannot vote for our own.
2/25/2013 1:23 PM
That's hard to police, only whoever makes the poll can see who's being honest.

And yes biases against users will happen. The hope would be we get 50ish votes.
2/25/2013 1:30 PM

The creator of the poll would just have to vote first.   His vote will be registered for someone else and he can see who the rest of us voted for.

2/25/2013 1:31 PM
Alright. I'm cool with voting for someone else.

I still think damag votes for himself that way he doesn't get 0%
2/25/2013 1:37 PM
I thought that was the point.   tec wanted to embarrass damag.
2/25/2013 1:41 PM
Aren't his picks alone enough to embarrass him?
2/25/2013 1:43 PM
1.      Kern82 – Not only did his first three picks win 11 Super Bowls, but they were 11-0. Think about that. A bit of a stumble with Randall Cunningham (Stabler still on the board with a better resume, more playoffs… even Bobby Layne brings more to the table) but overall, the strongest group.

2.      EdSo – Solid credentials here with Unitas, Favre, Moon, and Tittle.  Arguably, the toughest quarterback team with plenty of yards, titles, and variety. Good mix of old school and modern accumulators.

3.      Tec – Started strong with Elway/Staubach, misfired with Warner and his five or six productive seasons, slight redemption on the underrated career of McNabb. If he had picked Rapelisberger in the 3rd round, might have an argument for the 2nd spot.

4.      Burnsy – Started out like a house afire with Steve Young and Otto Graham, cooled a bit with Slingin’ Sammy Baugh (a historical figure more than a quarterback), and went completely batshit with Ken Anderson. Stabler and Anderson were contemporaries; Stabler won more games, more titles, more playoff games, and nailed more cocktail waitresses.

5.      MikeT – The Bart Starr pick is hard to defend, even for this old-timer. Replace Starr with Aikman, and the team becomes better. All the stability and game management of Starr with a much stronger and more accurate arm. The Jurgensen pick seems to be more to make a point about the QBs in the 60’s than a legitimate pick. Sometimes I think he avoided Stabler just because I said he’d take him.

6.      JTP – His pick of Marino is defensible. Taking Fouts at the same time was not. His pick of Rapeslisberger is defensible. Taking Eli at the same time was not.  Eli is an average quarterback except for two postseasons, basically the span of maybe 10 games in his entire career. 8-3 in the postseason sounds good until you realize Eli’s been 1-and-done in the postseason THREE times out of his five trips. The other two times, he ran the table.

7.      Stine – Fran Tarkenton was better than Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, and Warren Moon…? Really? He had the best defense of that generation behind him (hell, JOE KAPP took them to the Super Bowl), and couldn’t win. Gained back some cred with Lenny Dawson matriculating the ball down the field, but Bob Griese was a mistake. Earl Morrall led that team to an undefeated season. Earl ******* Morrall!?!?

8.      Damag – Aaron Rodgers? In the first round? Of historical QBs? Followed by Drew Brees? What are you, fifteen years old? Then he tries to pick someone he’s seen recently with Suzy Kolber to make it seem like he knows “old-school”. Plunkett is a worthy late round pick, but everyone else was overvalued by at least a round (Namath by four or five rounds).
2/25/2013 4:53 PM

Jurgensen-led the league in passing yards 5-6, HOFer and, when he retired, he was #3 in total yards passing.   Dude was good.

Starr, while not a statwhore, led the league in completion percentage and passer rating three times.   Big game player who played his best when all the chips were on the table.  Ultimate gamer.    Also HOFer. 

2/25/2013 5:06 PM
Check out all the black ink here.  Led the league in completion percentage 9 times, yardage 4 times.  6 time Pro Bowler, 4 time First-Team All-Pro.  

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BaugSa00.htm

2/25/2013 5:29 PM
What exactly is so "batshit" about Anderson? He was a much better QB than Stabler, and didn't have the talent Stabler had in Oakland.  I get the impression you rely a lot on wins and championships when rating QBs, and we differ somewhat there.  Anderson led the league in QB rating 4 times, yardage twice, completion percentage 3 times.  4 time Pro Bowler, and 1st team all-pro in 1981.  Website below compares him to Dan Fouts and Joe Montana.

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndeKe00.htm

2/25/2013 5:32 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/25/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):
1.      Kern82 – Not only did his first three picks win 11 Super Bowls, but they were 11-0. Think about that. A bit of a stumble with Randall Cunningham (Stabler still on the board with a better resume, more playoffs… even Bobby Layne brings more to the table) but overall, the strongest group.

2.      EdSo – Solid credentials here with Unitas, Favre, Moon, and Tittle.  Arguably, the toughest quarterback team with plenty of yards, titles, and variety. Good mix of old school and modern accumulators.

3.      Tec – Started strong with Elway/Staubach, misfired with Warner and his five or six productive seasons, slight redemption on the underrated career of McNabb. If he had picked Rapelisberger in the 3rd round, might have an argument for the 2nd spot.

4.      Burnsy – Started out like a house afire with Steve Young and Otto Graham, cooled a bit with Slingin’ Sammy Baugh (a historical figure more than a quarterback), and went completely batshit with Ken Anderson. Stabler and Anderson were contemporaries; Stabler won more games, more titles, more playoff games, and nailed more cocktail waitresses.

5.      MikeT – The Bart Starr pick is hard to defend, even for this old-timer. Replace Starr with Aikman, and the team becomes better. All the stability and game management of Starr with a much stronger and more accurate arm. The Jurgensen pick seems to be more to make a point about the QBs in the 60’s than a legitimate pick. Sometimes I think he avoided Stabler just because I said he’d take him.

6.      JTP – His pick of Marino is defensible. Taking Fouts at the same time was not. His pick of Rapeslisberger is defensible. Taking Eli at the same time was not.  Eli is an average quarterback except for two postseasons, basically the span of maybe 10 games in his entire career. 8-3 in the postseason sounds good until you realize Eli’s been 1-and-done in the postseason THREE times out of his five trips. The other two times, he ran the table.

7.      Stine – Fran Tarkenton was better than Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, and Warren Moon…? Really? He had the best defense of that generation behind him (hell, JOE KAPP took them to the Super Bowl), and couldn’t win. Gained back some cred with Lenny Dawson matriculating the ball down the field, but Bob Griese was a mistake. Earl Morrall led that team to an undefeated season. Earl ******* Morrall!?!?

8.      Damag – Aaron Rodgers? In the first round? Of historical QBs? Followed by Drew Brees? What are you, fifteen years old? Then he tries to pick someone he’s seen recently with Suzy Kolber to make it seem like he knows “old-school”. Plunkett is a worthy late round pick, but everyone else was overvalued by at least a round (Namath by four or five rounds).

I wouldn't call Warner a misfire, with the rapist being a better choice.

As of right now, virtually same length careers.  KW with slight edge on completion percentage and career yards.  Same TD PCT.  BR with a lightly lesser INT PCT.  Both with 3 Super Bowl appearances, BR leading 2-1 in rings (and a H2H win over KW in SB XLIII).  BR also took a lot more sacks.  Bonus points to KW for bringing two separate teams to the SB.

You can make an argument for either one for my 3rd round pick.  I don't think either one would have been a significantly better or worse choice over the other.

Also, for jtpoops, Eli Manning is better than an average QB.  He's got solid career numbers, deserves better than being called "average except for two postseasons".

I can't really say anything about Graham or Baugh, don't really know that much about them or about the NFL in general from that era.

2/25/2013 5:34 PM
For the Aikman lovers - what exactly did he do, stat-wise.  It's not so hard to win championships with Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and a fantastic defense.  Aikman nearly threw as many picks as TDs in a pass-friendly era.

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm
2/25/2013 5:36 PM
One more thing re: Anderson vs Stabler

Stabler: 194 TDs, 222 INTs

Anderson: 197 TDs, 160 INTs
2/25/2013 5:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18|19 Next ▸
Pointless QB exercise Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.