Pointless QB exercise Topic

Posted by damag on 2/21/2013 4:51:00 PM (view original):
BTW I looked up the all-time yards passing list, and there are a bunch of guys there in the top 20 who shouldn't even come CLOSE to this draft.

Oh, don't worry, I'm taking Kerry Collins next.
2/21/2013 4:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/21/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/20/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):

I won't tell you why I wouldn't take Brees over Rodgers until someone drafts Brees.

Now that Brees has been taken.......He was nothing special in SD.   Looks like pretty routine stats/wins.   SD let him walk, albeit he was injured, in favor of Philip RIvers.  Rivers has put up similar number with the same system that Brees had.   He's been lights out in NO but doesn't that just show that he's the ultimate system QB?   Could Rivers have put up similar numbers in NO?   Would anyone even consider Rivers a top QB in the NFL right now?
Rivers has been a pile of **** for two years. But if he'd been putting up Brees' numbers in any city, then yes, he'd be considered a top QB in the NFL.
2/21/2013 4:54 PM
everything in me says, take the old school guy that belongs at the top of this list.....but semi-modern will be easier to compare and my guess is the other guy will still be around later...

so Brett Favre is my choice
2/21/2013 5:10 PM
Good point.  Maybe Brees goes to **** for the next two years.   I'll be sure to point that out when the debate on the best quartet begins. 
2/21/2013 5:10 PM
Berman:  Two more picks off the board.  Drew "Summer" Brees and Roger "the Dodger" Staubach.  Mel, any surprises here?

Kiper: Not really, Boomer.  Staubach was a slam dunk with Tec.  Even if you compare across generations, there are several parallels between Staubach and Elway.  Both had reputations as scramblers, both led a ton of comebacks, and both won a couple of Super Bowls.  Solid pick there.

Mort: I find it interesting that Damag went with Brees.  He's gone modern era with both picks.  He's going to have trouble gathering votes from older voters.  He's got two Super Bowl winners, but he's also got contemporaries.  He's almost committed to go old school with his next pick.

Kiper: Not necessarily.  Damag likes his modern guys with their 40 attempts per game.  He might not care about the older voters.

Berman: Edso, Burnsy, and Stine are next up.  What should we expect?

Kiper: Their first round picks were almost forced, so you can't pick up a pattern.  I'd expect to see some guys from the 70's and 80's go now.  Bradshaw, Kelly, guys from that generation.  And let's not forget Otto Graham.  Seven titles have to count for something.

Berman: Might Edso stay old school and go for Otto?

Kiper: Possibly, but this is almost the reverse of Damag's draft... going pure old school.  You need diversity and cross-generational drafting in today's NFL.
2/21/2013 5:11 PM
I'll go old school - Otto Graham
2/21/2013 5:17 PM
Berman: So, Edso goes for Brett Favre!!?!?!  Let's go to our Subway Fresh Video chat to bring in John Madden to discuss.

Madden: [snoring]

Berman: Coach, welcome to the Subway Fresh video chat.   Brett Favre just got picked by Edso in the quarterback draft.  Your thoughts?

Madden:  Huh?  Oh...  Brett Favre, now he's a gamer.  When they drew up the personality of a gunslinger, BOOM, there was Favre.  The way he slung the ball around, I mean, it was fun to watch him.  Now, watch this throw to Sterling Sharpe.  BOOM, right on the money.  Oh, excuse me, that was an interception.  OK, now watch this throw...  Well, sonofabitch, another interception.  Well, you gotta love his intensity.  Watch him headbutt his linemen... BOOM!  Now that guy is a quarterback!  [burp}

Kiper:  Interesting pick.  Edso mentioned that he was crossing generations and goes for the all-time interception leader.  He's clearly stocking his team with the tough guys of their respective generations.  Like the Staubach/Elway pairing, a lot of similarities for Favre and Unitas.
2/21/2013 5:18 PM
I'm leaning towards Shane "Footsteps" Falco with my next pick
2/21/2013 5:22 PM
Berman:  Burnsy's card is in, and Edso won't be happy with this pick.  Otto "Matic" Graham, gone in the second round.

Kiper: Seven titles, five in a row.  I'm amazed he stuck around this long.  Several teams will be upset they passed on him.

Berman: To be fair, Mel, four of those titles were in the AAFL.

Kiper: When Otto took the Browns into the NFL, they played the NFL champion Eagles in their first week and stomped them on their way to their first title.  I think that addresses the AAFL argument.  Otto was a winner in my book.   The Steve Young/Otto Graham pairing will be tough to beat. 
2/21/2013 5:22 PM
Graham was my old school pick....I thought Otto might make it another round, I did not think Favre would
2/21/2013 5:33 PM
Otto wouldn't have made it back to you.    I was trying to figure out if he'd be available to me on the comeback.
2/21/2013 5:36 PM
Berman: OK, coming up on the end of round 2.  Who's left on your board, Mel?

Kiper: The next two picks are almost forced.  Aikman and Bradshaw in some order must be taken by Stine and MikeT.  If you let either one of those two get back to Kern, you're bascially conceding the Super Bowl discussion to Kern.  This is where we see what strategies these guys will employ.

Mort: I think it's premature to claim that they're "conceding", Mel.

Kiper: Listen, if Kern gets Bradshaw, he'll have EIGHT Super Bowls.  EIGHT!?!?!?  Nobody will be able to touch him.  Even if he just gets Aikman, he'll have seven, and it'll be tough for anyone to catch him.  And Aikman would give him two of the most accurate, intelligent, classy quarterbacks ever.  Nope, there's no way they can let him take one of those two.
2/21/2013 6:18 PM
I'm going Fran Tarkenton.

Aikman is a reach. Could he have had bigger stats in a different system? Perhaps, but I don't fixate on things that didn't happen.

It was down to Bradshaw-Tarkenton for me. I focused on the time period of both of them played. Tarkenton has him beat across the board, even taking out Bradshaw's terrible first two seasons.

Also if you look at pro-football references similar player list you have:

Bradshaw: Bob Griese, Bledsoe, Kelly, McNair, Esiason
Tarkenton: Elway, Marino, Unitas, Favre, Montana
2/21/2013 7:03 PM
Favre was a steal, by the way. Marino, Rodgers, Fouts going ahead of him is comical, unless your daughter works as a message therapist, then again you might not want Marino either.
2/21/2013 7:08 PM (edited)
I tend to like my QBs to complete passes to members of their own team
2/21/2013 7:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...19 Next ▸
Pointless QB exercise Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.