Am I seeing things or... Topic

seemed like a decent crop in Knight, but there are a shortage of high quality guards (but I suspect that's more a function of everyone going after them since guards are so important in HD)
2/26/2013 7:55 AM
I have a feeling we're looking at more and more kids for whom the system has failed -- most notably by coaches at the junior high and younger AAU levels looking to ride the coattails of a potential "star" and therefore neglecting to teach good, hard fundamentals in an effort to keep those players on his squad.  Rather than blaming HD or the recruits themselves, we may at long last have to finally take a good hard look in the mirror, and realize that it's our fever to see the amazing YouTube dunk or to call every other kid The Next Jordan that's resulting in new crops of high school seniors who just aren't ready yet for the high-stakes world of fake college basketball.
It's easy to feel like we're the victims of declining recruit levels.  But the ones who really lose, are the fake kids.
2/26/2013 12:08 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 2/26/2013 7:55:00 AM (view original):
seemed like a decent crop in Knight, but there are a shortage of high quality guards (but I suspect that's more a function of everyone going after them since guards are so important in HD)
Knight is pretty stacked this year imo. Rupp was great as well, as far as my region was concerned (OK/TX/CO/AR, etc.), where B+/A- teams landed 4-6 players that will end up well over 800.
2/26/2013 12:37 PM
I thought Knight was really good as well this year - but that is coming off the year before where both numbers and quality were way down.

So I guess it balanced out. 
2/26/2013 12:39 PM
I do think it is amazing that a kid can go from 2.1 HS GPA to 4.0 in college with only 10 miuntes of study hall a day.  Maybe the US Department of Education should take note of the growth of our fake kids.
2/26/2013 12:43 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 2/26/2013 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 2/26/2013 7:55:00 AM (view original):
Knight is pretty stacked this year imo. Rupp was great as well, as far as my region was concerned (OK/TX/CO/AR, etc.), where B+/A- teams landed 4-6 players that will end up well over 800.
Yes, Rupp was good. And the year before it wasn't.
2/26/2013 2:08 PM
Posted by jeffdrayer on 2/26/2013 12:08:00 PM (view original):
I have a feeling we're looking at more and more kids for whom the system has failed -- most notably by coaches at the junior high and younger AAU levels looking to ride the coattails of a potential "star" and therefore neglecting to teach good, hard fundamentals in an effort to keep those players on his squad.  Rather than blaming HD or the recruits themselves, we may at long last have to finally take a good hard look in the mirror, and realize that it's our fever to see the amazing YouTube dunk or to call every other kid The Next Jordan that's resulting in new crops of high school seniors who just aren't ready yet for the high-stakes world of fake college basketball.
It's easy to feel like we're the victims of declining recruit levels.  But the ones who really lose, are the fake kids.
I'm 100% behind you
2/26/2013 2:44 PM
worlds can be up and down, but even more so can regions. the recruits vary so wildly in a state, you might have as much as 50% more recruits one season, than the last. when there are a couple high end schools, their # of open scholarships probably has little bearing on the # of recruits generated - its mostly the open scholarships of all the other programs that result in the # of players. so theres luck there. plus, then there is the luck of the draw. you might have 200 local recruits with 5 good ones, or 10 good ones. or you might have 300 recruits with 7.5 good ones, or 15 good ones. i think that kind of variation is very normal within HD, and it is the primary reason why i am against the severe distance penalties that make HD recruiting so regional.

of course, the luck of the draw in the quality and quantity of high end coaches around you is huge, too. i feel like in d1 recruiting, your chance of winning a championship can *easily* double if you were in a favorable environment, as opposed to an unfavorable one. i feel like thats too big an impact. of course its never 100% fair, and i dont expect it to be, but theres just way too much luck involved now.
2/26/2013 5:44 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/26/2013 5:44:00 PM (view original):
worlds can be up and down, but even more so can regions. the recruits vary so wildly in a state, you might have as much as 50% more recruits one season, than the last. when there are a couple high end schools, their # of open scholarships probably has little bearing on the # of recruits generated - its mostly the open scholarships of all the other programs that result in the # of players. so theres luck there. plus, then there is the luck of the draw. you might have 200 local recruits with 5 good ones, or 10 good ones. or you might have 300 recruits with 7.5 good ones, or 15 good ones. i think that kind of variation is very normal within HD, and it is the primary reason why i am against the severe distance penalties that make HD recruiting so regional.

of course, the luck of the draw in the quality and quantity of high end coaches around you is huge, too. i feel like in d1 recruiting, your chance of winning a championship can *easily* double if you were in a favorable environment, as opposed to an unfavorable one. i feel like thats too big an impact. of course its never 100% fair, and i dont expect it to be, but theres just way too much luck involved now.
Question: does having a large number of A+ schools around you directly affect recruit generation in the area?
2/26/2013 6:15 PM
◂ Prev 12
Am I seeing things or... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.