2/28/2013 7:27 PM
3.0 requires a lot. We all want a better game that is easier to deal with. The time it takes just setting everything is a load. I'm going back to 2.0 and when it gets a little easier, you guys let me know. 

64 hour work weeks + 14 hours running a week +14 hours writing a week+ 6 hours sleep a night +x amount of hours skyping your significant other, who happens to be finishing a semester of school in her home country of Brasil= Much less time to set a depth chart.

I am sure the game will be great at the end. But right now, there is too much attention required. I am certain that I am not the only guy that feels this way. 
2/28/2013 7:48 PM
It took me like 2-3 hrs to set up all my formations,depth charts,and game plans and I run 4 formations LOL. Now I just tweak it a little depending on what the team I play runs. I know it will take some time to set up, but once it is set it is no different than 2.0.
3/1/2013 3:59 PM
Agree vikes. First thiing I did was create some offense formations,  then a base playbook. Then over then next week adjusted the various percentages.
3/1/2013 11:47 PM
I feel the same way as citizenkane.  I imagine we're past the point of no return in terms of going back, but I feel like setting everything up is just so daunting, I've lost interest in even starting.  This is supposed to be a fun game, but the work involved seems like it's going to get very tedious very quickly.
3/2/2013 4:11 AM
Forgot to add-when I went in and made adjustments, it was just quick 10 or 20 minute bits at a time. Found it wasn't bad that way.
And I expect it to get much easier as the game is tweeked. I think it only seems daunting untill you get into it.
3/2/2013 6:38 AM
The advanced settings are not required. This is a much funner experience now for me ... But it can be almost as easy as it was in basic mode.
3/2/2013 7:26 AM
I agree it is a lot of work. I keep thinking that I am going to have to do this all over again, and again, and again... Wearing out my tab key and my left pinkie...

It's like voting. I have the illusion of control.

3/2/2013 8:29 AM
I know half of my conference (Hooper IIAC) is MIA. They didn't recruit at all. I don't know for sure if they were overwhelmed but I bet it was the case for some of them.

Personally, I still don't feel like my gameplans are complete. All this work means I will probably never look for a DII position because I don't want to have to start over. Maybe that should be an option...copy current settings to new team.
3/2/2013 9:05 AM
Definitely need to copy current settings to new team.  I have invested close to 15 hours just in setting up roster, game planning and formations.  After each set I run 5 test games against the same team.  I am a little concerned at the wide fluctuations in what would seemingly be the same variables.  I have found that I typically have 3-2 advantage in those 5 test games but scores go from a 10-2 loss to a 22-21 win to a 30-3 loss to a 31-10 win.  I say this only to say that it is hard to know if my settings are sounds due to the wide fluctuations in results.  I know it is a Beta so it is just a statement of fact rather than a complaint.
With that said, I did want to echo the extensive set up and while I agree that once you get it set it should be easy but as I look at the long term picture against savvy owners, the daily changes to game planning would require a bunch of daily adjustments.  Being an owner of only one team in one world it isn't as daunting as it may be for others but I have to wonder if 40/60, 50/50, or 60/40 has enough points of data to make it worth the pinkie tabbing rather than choosing a "balanced" drop down.

3/2/2013 10:04 AM
Posted by dizzlebob on 3/2/2013 8:29:00 AM (view original):
I know half of my conference (Hooper IIAC) is MIA. They didn't recruit at all. I don't know for sure if they were overwhelmed but I bet it was the case for some of them.

Personally, I still don't feel like my gameplans are complete. All this work means I will probably never look for a DII position because I don't want to have to start over. Maybe that should be an option...copy current settings to new team.
You'll only need to reset your depth charts when you move to a new team, gameplans, etc. go with you.
3/2/2013 10:41 AM
Yep.  3.0 may be too much for me.
3/2/2013 11:08 AM
I don't think it'd be so bad if 2.0 hadn't been such a bust.
3/2/2013 12:45 PM
I'm with you guys. There is already a huge advantage in recruiting for those that have a ton of free time. I can't imagine the advantage in this game to someone who has 3-4 hours every day to spend creating and tweaking game plans to exploit the guy who has 1 game plan and works for a living.
3/2/2013 1:19 PM
If you guys think about it, the very first time you played GD when it first came out, it was as daunting as this version. At least it was for me. You have to remember that everyone playing this version is feeling their way in the dark as well. I do agree this version is "data rich"  but now you have an idea how actual first year college coaches have to set up their initial programs as well.
3/2/2013 5:05 PM (edited)

I wasn't around for version 1.0 as I joined shortly after 2.0 but I have been reading the forums since joining and most of the gripes were 1. talent and gameplanning should mean more in the game engine especially versus SIMS and abandoned teams. 2. if I want to spend my entire life playing this game by studying every tendency then it should mean something.
Well from what I'm seeing initially and what Norbert and Redhawk are telling us your getting both, 1. if you just want to put in the minimal effort and beat SIMS and lower talent teams you can do that running basic gameplans and formations and play for the fun of it and be competitive or 2. if you want devote your life to playing GD and dominating then you can get deeper into it by spending time just like you're a real life wannabe coach and see where that gets you.
I don't see why you wouldn't try the basic gameplanning and see what it can do before throwing up your hands quitting, especially seeing how none of the season games have started and nobody really knows how things are going to play out.

of 3

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.