i am voting for the self-promoting gasbags from now on
down with the quiet air fresheners

+1
3/9/2013 11:53 AM
The Attorney General
Washington, D.C. March 7, 2013
The Honorable Rand Paul United States Senate Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator Paul:
It has come to my attention that you have now asked an additional question: “Does the President have the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil?” The answer to that question is no.
Eric H. Holder, Jr.

3/9/2013 12:05 PM
of course his answer only rules out drones - not helicopter gunships, jet fighters, tanks, snipers, germ warfare, hitmen, local LE, etc.
3/9/2013 12:57 PM
I love how he says it like he wasn't asked by at least two separate senators when he was on the senate floor. 
3/9/2013 1:36 PM
Two debates/arguments than can't be won:  politics and religion.
3/9/2013 4:11 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 3/9/2013 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Two debates/arguments than can't be won:  politics and religion.
+1
3/9/2013 4:53 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 3/8/2013 11:49:00 PM (view original):
As a resident of Kentucky, I can honestly say that I think Rand Paul is no different than any other elected official.  Just like everyone else, he's looking after HIS own interests first, then maybe, just maybe the average Joe Citizen's best interests.  Ultimately, there is no difference between officials from either party, they're all after the same things:  money and power, they just take different routes to get there.  And every one of them, every last one, is thinking not of what they can do to help their constituency, but how they can get themselves re-elected.  Period.  And you're naive as hell if you think they aren't.  They don't care about the common folk, they only care about lining their OWN pockets.  If they really cared, how come you don't see them volunteering to miss a paycheck?  They'll be the LAST government workers that miss a payday due to this furlough, you can believe that.  Crooks, every last one of them.
i really meant to agree with the second half of the post i quoted more than the first - essentially, agreeing with what you say about politicans in general. im 100% with you on the ridiculousness of so many other govt workers getting screwed, while the lawmakers feel no pain. and i generally agree they are all crooks, even if they start with good intentions - i dont associate with either party even a little bit, so like you, i feel the same way about politicians on both sides, and wasnt targeting anything i said at either side.

i do think ron paul was different though, now, he might still put himself first and he might not be as selfless as one might hope. but i do think he was different. he voted against his party time and time again, criticized the republican administration during the iraq warmongering when nobody else in his party would. im not commenting on the validity of that war - but hes the only national level politician ive seen who stands up for what they believe in, no matter how unpopular with the people OR his party, time and time again. the republicans seemingly hated ron paul, because he wouldnt play the party line, and i think that makes him different. while i cant get behind a lot of his policies, i can at least respect him for standing up for what he believed in. who knows if other politicians have ideals and values, but they sure as hell dont put them first!

i dont know enough about rand to have the same respect for him, at least not yet, but he obviously picked up some of his daddies traits. i think he CLEARLY plays politics more than his dad, for example, he was out campaigning for mitt romney even though i think its clear that mitt romney winning would have been really bad for the libertarian movement rand + ron are such a big part of. i think there is some value in that - standing alone because of your values, i can respect that - but it really doesnt get you anywhere. ron paul was too unpopular in his own party to ever have won the nomination, it seems the republicans did everything they could to hold him back. i think rand sees that and knows hes got to make more friends, but i hope he will stand up for what is right when it really counts. its a fine line, and the reason i respect his dad, is he would only do what he thought was right. but i could still respect rand, if he is playing politics and votes for things he might not be behind to get support on more important issues - but i worry for him also, i dont know if you can really play that game, without selling out. i feel like no matter how you tried, the corrupt bullshit system would start to rub off on you, eventually!
3/9/2013 6:10 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/9/2013 6:47:00 AM (view original):
As a Kentuckian, I cringed with Paul was elected. I expected him to be horrible but I've been pleasantly surprised.  However, his every action is transparantly influenced by one goal....his desire to be President.  He's very calculating and  shrewd

At the Senate hearings with Hillary Clinton, he told her, "If I were President....I would've relieved you of your job."   I almost threw up. Those hearings weren't about HIM or the kind of President he'd be. 

Save it for the campaign trail, Senator!
i do agree with you, i feel like he would and will sell out, at least to some extent, to be president (if he wasnt already), and hes jumping the gun anyway.

i do think hes a hell of a lot better than our other wonderful senator, though :) i guess i live in ohio but all my family is from KY and i associate with there 100X more, i dont even know who the ohio senators are.
3/9/2013 6:16 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 3/9/2013 12:52:00 AM (view original):
Maybe he's the one in a million.  But I doubt it.
i kind of doubt it too honestly, but i am willing to give him (rand paul) a shot, just because i respect his dad (even though i think some of ron's policies would be pretty bad and or dangerous for america). i would have voted for ron paul for president, because i dont think he could have done some of the crazier stuff (like pulling ALL foreign aid to ALL countries) because it would be so unpopular, and there is still another branch of government to contend with (well, two, but i doubt hed have trouble from the supreme court). but i do think he would move the needle in a couple key places. he is *by far* the most fiscally conservative of any of the candidates, which i think we really need right about now, and i think he could make significant headway there. the democrats are far more spineless than the republicans, and i cant imagine they would oppose ron like the republicans oppose obama. plus, i think we really need a president who cares about our liberties, and reigning in the government as they push further and further from the powers granted to them in the constitution. even if he didnt get a lot done, simply raising awareness would be huge. i really worry for our country, the government is out of control with the patriot act, the corruption in the fiscal system (the fed and the extent of currency manipulation are both unconstitutional, in my opinion), the freedom of the american people is at risk, in my opinion. not like we are going to be nazi germany in 5 years, im not a crazy conspiracy theorist who thinks the government is going to take all our rights away and we will become a police state (my father in law was dead convinced obama was going to establish a 100 thousand man secret police unit under his sole control, im not nearly that far gone:)

but still, i do strongly feel our government has gone too far, gotten to big, and has become FAR too greedy. if rand paul is *HALF* the man his daddy is, id take him in a heart beat over the status quo - although, that is saying VERY little, i suppose :) 
3/9/2013 6:28 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/9/2013 12:05:00 PM (view original):
The Attorney General
Washington, D.C. March 7, 2013
The Honorable Rand Paul United States Senate Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator Paul:
It has come to my attention that you have now asked an additional question: “Does the President have the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil?” The answer to that question is no.
Eric H. Holder, Jr.

awesome! i like how rand paul stood up to the TSA that one time, too. even though his head might be a bit big, i can forgive that, if he continues to fight to limit government power. 
3/9/2013 6:30 PM
◂ Prev 12
OT: props to rand paul Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.