A BLACK POPE? Topic

Blame the American public too.  They've been conditioned to label everybody according to what the media tells them.
3/14/2013 12:24 PM
Agreed. Americans don't know a damn thing about this guy. The only facts that have been put out are:

He's 76, catholic, speaks latin, lived in an apartment, lived in South America.

Anything about how he's going to act is pope is pure speculative bullshit to fill TV time.
3/14/2013 1:44 PM
Speculation is ok as long as it has some grounding.

I watched some of the combine on the NFL network. It was insane becuase they were talking about marginal prospects as well as more mainstream ones.

They seemed to have knowledge of everyone and were trying to apply it to the results of their testing. Again a 24 hour football network needs to talk aobut it all the time.

Analyzing the new Pope is ok as well as needed.

Trying to fit his beliefs in the same box we put American Presidential candidates in doesnt work.
3/14/2013 2:25 PM
Not my point Peggy. The man is progressive in terms of social justice. He is conservative in terms of Church Dogma. After all the years I have been a member of the Church I would never expect any thing else. You would never be elected Pope if you were going to change dogma. Again of course you feel the need to pontificate on a subject you know nothing about.
3/14/2013 4:41 PM
That seems harsh. And of course I never really addressed the issue of the Pope, just the people talking about him.

Well you just keep ranting and maybe one day you will make an actual point.
3/14/2013 7:21 PM
3/14/2013 9:38 PM
My buddy from Boston (100% Irish) reacted as such, via text:

"Fake Argentinian. He's a ******* Italian!"
3/14/2013 10:36 PM
Historically many Italian migrant workers emigrated to Argentina in the 19th century to follow the harvest there. These migrant workers were known as "swallows" I wonder if a parent or grand-parent might have been one of the swallows.
3/15/2013 6:48 AM
This guy has lived in Argentina his whole life.

Why does it seem that the media, American mass media at least, always wanted to point out that he was of Italian heritage?

3/15/2013 9:49 AM
well he's Roman Catholic for one
3/15/2013 10:07 AM
It just always seemed like they wanted everyone to know that he wasnt "Really" from Latin America. That he was an Italian living in Argentina.

3/15/2013 10:38 AM
Now the Pope is considering closing the Vatican Bank since it is riddled (again) with corruption.

He washed the feet of a Muslim girl instead of the peeps at the Vatican.  He refused to move into the Papal Palace, instead he is living in a 2 bedroom apartment there.
He may make a move about contraception and gay civil unions. 

What have they done???? 

They made a liberal Jesuit a Pope. 

I love it.

4/2/2013 11:57 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Pope Francis says atheists can be good

Just do good, and we'll find a meeting point, says Francis in marked departure from Benedict's line on non-Catholics

Atheists should be seen as good people if they do good, Pope Francis has said in his latest urging that people of all religions, and none, work together.

The leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics made his comments in the homily of his morning mass at his residence, a daily event at which he speaks without prepared comments.

He told the story of a Catholic who asked a priest if even atheists had been redeemed by Jesus.

"Even them, everyone," the pope answered, according to Vatican Radio. "We all have the duty to do good," he said.

"Just do good, and we'll find a meeting point," the pope said in a hypothetical reply to the hypothetical comment: "But I don't believe. I'm an atheist."

Francis's reaching out to atheists and people who belong to no religion is in marked contrast to the attitude of his predecessor, Benedict, who sometimes prompted complaints from non-Catholics that he seemed to see them as second-class believers.

(Guardian)

5/23/2013 9:02 AM

"Stop wrecking people's lives and repent", Pope tells mafia

(Reuters) - Pope Francis spoke out against mafia organizations exploiting and enslaving people, calling on mafiosi on Sunday to repent in words that recalled an impassioned plea by Pope John Paul II 20 years ago.

Speaking off the cuff after his weekly Angelus blessing in St. Peter's Square, Francis spoke about the mafia for the first time since he became pontiff two months ago.

High profile killings by the Italian mafia have declined since the 1990s, but through activities such as prostitution, extortion and drug trafficking they still wield a heavy influence over the country and its economy.

Italy's main crime groups - the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, the Calabrian 'Ndrangheta and the Camorra from around the southern city of Naples - have a joint annual turnover of 116 billion euros ($150 billion), according to the United Nations.

That is more than the annual sales of Italy's biggest company, oil giant Eni.

Francis recalled the example of the Sicilian anti-mafia priest Giuseppe Puglisi, who was killed by gunmen in 1993 outside his home in the island's capital of Palermo, and was beatified on Saturday .

"My thoughts are with the suffering of women, men and also children who are exploited by the many mafias who make them slaves, through prostitution, through many social pressures," he said.

"They cannot do this, they cannot make our brothers slaves, we must pray to the Lord to make these mafiosi convert to God."

In one of his most famous addresses in Agrigento, Sicily, in May 1993, John Paul angrily called on mafiosi to "repent, because one day you will face the judgment of God".

Earlier, Francis made his first visit to a Rome parish when he said Mass outside a church in the northern fringe of the city, joking with local children during the service.

"You can understand reality better from the outskirts than the center," he said in front of the modern, red brick church of Saints Elisabeth and Zachariah, a far cry from the vast 16th century Basilica of St. Peters in the Vatican.

During the service the pope, who is bishop of Rome, held a light-hearted question and answer session with children about the roles of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

"Whoever gets it right will win the derby," he said, in a reference to the Italian soccer cup final to be played later between Rome's two rival teams, AS Roma and Lazio. ($1 = 0.7734 euros)

(Reporting by Gavin Jones; Editing by Alison Williams)

5/26/2013 6:49 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
A BLACK POPE? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.