SUCK IT, PATSIES!! Topic

This is interesting.

espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740923/welker-vs-amendola-as-a-slot-receiver

Three things to know about new Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola, with an emphasis on how he compares to now ex-Patriot Wes Welker

Similar upon arrival 
Amendola definitely has big shoes to fill, but as he arrives in New England he actually is coming off a very similar season production-wise to what Welker put up with the Dolphins in the season before the Patriots acquired him. 

Welker had 67 receptions and averaged 10.3 yards per catch for the 2006 Dolphins. Amendola had 63 catches and averaged 10.6 yards for the 2012 Rams. 

That goes with their more obvious common bond of each being from Texas Tech and each having gone undrafted. 

Lacking durability 
Since entering the NFL in 2009, Amendola has never played more than 677 snaps in a season and has averaged 423 per season. 

Welker has averaged 883 offensive snaps since the start of 2008 and played the third-most snaps among wide receivers last season (1,089). 

More sure-handed 
Over the last three seasons, Welker’s reputation for being super-surehanded took a bit of a hit. 

Lining up in the Slot Last Season (2012 including playoffs)

Welker Amendola
Rec per game 5.5 4.6
Yds per game 67.9 45.2
Drops 13 1
In that same stretch, Amendola has been what Welker used to be in terms of surehandedness. 

Since 2010, Welker has caught passes at a rate of 12.5 receptions for every drop (326 catches, 26 drops). 

Amendola’s success rate is considerably higher at 21.9 receptions per drop. 

Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL.

3/14/2013 9:58 AM
AMENDOLA IS ALWAYS HURT

BRADY GETS A *****
3/14/2013 9:59 AM
patriots are now what the bruins used to be/sux still are:

not willing to pay to acquire/keep elite talent. their strategy is let's hope this group of non-stars/grinders can overperform and win it all!
3/14/2013 9:59 AM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/14/2013 9:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/14/2013 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Welker and Brady probably had the best relationship of any QB/WR combo I've seen.  They could probably complete a good deal of passes with their eyes closed.  It will be interesting to see if he can do the same thing with Amendola.  I'd have to think it won't be as productive.

Welker will end up taking a hit too.  Thomas almost caught 100 passes last year...I'd actually be surprised if Welker got 100+ completions next year.
I doubt Amendola will be close to Welker (this season at least).  I think you'll see Hernandez and Gronk's #'s go up slightly.  I also don't think they're done with the WR position.  

Interesting to see what they do with Lloyd.  He's due a $3mil bonus.  I think they'll cut him.  If they do, i think WR is a MUST in the draft and another FA signing.  Maybe Hayward-Bay or Laurent Robinson.  Someone speedy.

Welker won't hit 100.  Not with Thomas and Decker.  Welker will probably be around 80 range.
I like the idea of Heyward-Bey for them.  Get someone inexpensive who can stretch the field.

I would guess Decker takes the biggest hit of the 3.  
3/14/2013 10:00 AM

Welker Amendola
Rec per game 5.5 4.6
Yds per game 67.9 45.2
Drops 13 1

Somewhat misleading, considering Welker played 7 more games than Amendola.

If I'm the Pats, I have some concerns about the health of my weapons.  Both TEs may be injury-prone, and Amendola is too.

3/14/2013 10:02 AM
durability matters. it's the gretzky/lemieux situation (altho i'm not saying talentwise welker and this new kid are that talented)
both have similar skillsets/talent
one only plays 2/3 of the season if not less
one maintains it for every game of every season (more or less)
potential is all well and good, but if you're not playing you're not helping the team
glitches get stiches
3/14/2013 10:03 AM
Posted by sergei91 on 3/14/2013 9:59:00 AM (view original):

not willing to pay to acquire/keep elite talent. their strategy is let's hope this group of non-stars/grinders can overperform and win it all!

How often have they ever coughed up bigtime for someone not named Brady?  That's sort of been the basis of their philosophy since Belichick has been there.

3/14/2013 10:05 AM
that's what i meant by 'now', as opposed to before bill got here
3/14/2013 10:13 AM
and now tom's ****** cause he took less $ and his team is getting crappier.
3/14/2013 10:14 AM
Posted by sergei91 on 3/14/2013 9:59:00 AM (view original):

They've paid to keep Brady, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk and Hernandez.  

Funny, this strategy has allowed them to be one of the best teams for 13 years.

That's just a dumb blanket statement.  They view the slot position as one that can be easily replaced.  Pats had this same situation when they replace Troy Brown with Welker.  They'll be fine.
3/14/2013 10:17 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/14/2013 10:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/14/2013 9:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/14/2013 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Welker and Brady probably had the best relationship of any QB/WR combo I've seen.  They could probably complete a good deal of passes with their eyes closed.  It will be interesting to see if he can do the same thing with Amendola.  I'd have to think it won't be as productive.

Welker will end up taking a hit too.  Thomas almost caught 100 passes last year...I'd actually be surprised if Welker got 100+ completions next year.
I doubt Amendola will be close to Welker (this season at least).  I think you'll see Hernandez and Gronk's #'s go up slightly.  I also don't think they're done with the WR position.  

Interesting to see what they do with Lloyd.  He's due a $3mil bonus.  I think they'll cut him.  If they do, i think WR is a MUST in the draft and another FA signing.  Maybe Hayward-Bay or Laurent Robinson.  Someone speedy.

Welker won't hit 100.  Not with Thomas and Decker.  Welker will probably be around 80 range.
I like the idea of Heyward-Bey for them.  Get someone inexpensive who can stretch the field.

I would guess Decker takes the biggest hit of the 3.  
I'd think Decker is probably a tad upset.  He'll get hit the most for sure.
3/14/2013 10:18 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/14/2013 10:03:00 AM (view original):

Welker Amendola
Rec per game 5.5 4.6
Yds per game 67.9 45.2
Drops 13 1

Somewhat misleading, considering Welker played 7 more games than Amendola.

If I'm the Pats, I have some concerns about the health of my weapons.  Both TEs may be injury-prone, and Amendola is too.

Slightly misleading.  Health is a risk.  Pats are taking a big risk.

That said, Pioli had a interesting take on Welker.  Welker is 31 about to be 32 and has taken an amazing amount of hits.  How much longer can he still take them?

This move is more risky than keeping Welker, but I think the reward is higher.
3/14/2013 10:20 AM
Posted by sergei91 on 3/14/2013 10:14:00 AM (view original):
and now tom's ****** cause he took less $ and his team is getting crappier.
He took less so they could spread the $$$.  The $$$ should be spent on the Defense that's killed them recently.

Pats should sign Pollard and Talib....and if the price is right another of the quality CB's out there.  Draft a DT and the D should be much much better.
3/14/2013 10:22 AM
Let's face it though, the Pats aren't the only team hesistant to give big money to guys whose age would indicate they are at/near the end of their prime.
3/14/2013 10:26 AM
Maybe Welker didn't care about money and was just sick and tired of carrying Brady's over rated *** to stats and victories.
3/14/2013 12:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...23 Next ▸
SUCK IT, PATSIES!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.