Screw Your Neighbor redux--full Topic

Sheesh Biglen and Micki, that's hitting below the belt...and....exactly what's gonna make this hilarious. Thanks! oh, and yeah, i thought about the random AAA and kept it to give hope to anyone who gets a soul crushingly bad team :-) but if this works out and there is another iteration, i'll definitely consider the change. thanks for the input. Now, i'm going to have to think of a more embarrassing team name!
3/18/2013 1:27 PM
Sorry, but HOW can I justify spending $13 to have the privilege of playing such a crappy team?  It seams like tossing $ down the drain, to me?
3/18/2013 3:20 PM (edited)
Posted by good_beef on 3/18/2013 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Sorry, but HOW can I justify spending $13 to have the privilege of playing such a crappy team?  It seams like tossing $ down the drain, to me?
Remember, all teams will be crappy. 

Your pleasure comes from....

(1) - Drafting the crap team.  Thinking about how you're screwing someone.
(2) - Managing your team to victory.  Overcoming the screwing that has been given to you.
(3) - Schadenfreude

If it's too subtle for you, no problem.  Continue playing in open leagues or $255m cap themes.  Yawn.
3/18/2013 3:28 PM
Hey good_beef (nice name by the way unless you are talking about something I'd rather not think about....I've got a cattle ranch in the family...but I digress),
this league is for guys who want to constantly make tweeks to your team. I hate just setting a lineup and then checking in once a week. If you like trading and seeing how guys you'd never play in a regular league would perform (Jose Lima anyone?) then this is the league for you. And biglen is right, crappy is relative. Imagine killing it and winning a league with Adam Dunn or Dave Kingman as your 4 slot hitter (with Kingman's stone hands at 3b, hah!). Oh, and I am definitely going to have to use schadenfreude in the name of the next iteration of this league!
3/18/2013 5:28 PM
Sure, I'll give this a shot. The sad thing is that the team I draft won't look too much worse than my normal teams...
3/19/2013 2:10 PM
Posted by reddtrain on 3/19/2013 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Sure, I'll give this a shot. The sad thing is that the team I draft won't look too much worse than my normal teams...
Oh.... Don't bet on that.

There's a lot of room to hose someone...
- All pitchers have 1.50 HR/9 or higher and 1.75 WHIP or higher
- No pitcher averages more than 1 inning per game...
- Fielding percentages in the .700's
- The only SS being a guy who played one game in his life there (has a rating!!!) and  made several errors then.
- 15 catchers
- 5 guys that make $10m+ a year.... Plus 5 bad $4m pitchers.  Plus 15 guys who make less than $1m each.
- $70m hitting salary, $5m for 6 pitchers
- $70m pitching salary, 3500 IP, and $5m hitters.

I don't think you've tried many of those.
3/19/2013 4:36 PM
I will try this league - haven't done before
3/19/2013 7:20 PM

You learn a lot about how the sim works by determining what really makes a bad team bad

3/20/2013 3:24 PM
Count me in...something different
3/20/2013 3:59 PM
Posted by jpeterso on 3/18/2013 5:28:00 PM (view original):
Hey good_beef (nice name by the way unless you are talking about something I'd rather not think about....I've got a cattle ranch in the family...but I digress),
this league is for guys who want to constantly make tweeks to your team. I hate just setting a lineup and then checking in once a week. If you like trading and seeing how guys you'd never play in a regular league would perform (Jose Lima anyone?) then this is the league for you. And biglen is right, crappy is relative. Imagine killing it and winning a league with Adam Dunn or Dave Kingman as your 4 slot hitter (with Kingman's stone hands at 3b, hah!). Oh, and I am definitely going to have to use schadenfreude in the name of the next iteration of this league!
Steak & Hamburgers with some kind of Potatoes, Maybe a salad - BEEF - what more do you need!  These stupid vegetarians are missing out, they eat food that MY food EATS, I get it all second hand like my ancestors have for over 5000 years!
3/20/2013 4:28 PM
If we had the WW, this league might be interesting & I already have my team picked out?  Please ADD the Wavier Wire & I will join for SURE, the salary cap will keep the league in line by itself!?
3/20/2013 4:31 PM
Posted by good_beef on 3/20/2013 4:31:00 PM (view original):
If we had the WW, this league might be interesting & I already have my team picked out?  Please ADD the Wavier Wire & I will join for SURE, the salary cap will keep the league in line by itself!?
The WW just means that you'll wind up with a $76-77M team that looks 90% like a normal open league. You can't fix positional deficiencies that your team creator gives you unless you find willing trade partners.
3/20/2013 5:54 PM (edited)
What IF, we end up having (out of a 24 team league) ONLY 10 owners WILLING to trade, the others are stubborn & will NOT trade unless they get like Babe Ruth for Tim Foli?  I have been in many, so called "Trade  leagues" like this where over half the teams will NOT trade AT ALL, so you are stuck with several holes in your roster for the whole season!  THAT is why I would like to have the WW, so if the willing partners dont have what I want, I have other options...
3/21/2013 8:15 AM (edited)
WW doesn't work in SYN leagues.  I've played in at least a dozen of them and commished half of those.  IMO, the AAA we're getting is too strong for a SYN league.   

Teams trade because they have to.  My guess is that 20 owners will make trades in this league.  And yeah, some may appear lopsided.  You might trade 1998 Mark McGwire for a 250 IP inning eater because your team has 4 $9m first basemen but only 700 IP.    Similarly, someone might deal you a great RP for a backup catcher, because he has other great relievers, but only 300PA in catching. 

Things of value in this league are relative.  The nature of the league is to give someone too much of one thing (catchers, innings, relievers, PA) and too little of something else (quality PA, quality IP, etc).  The inbalance creates a need to trade.
3/21/2013 9:25 AM
THe founder - jpeterson - is having posting difficulties. 

He asked me to post the league number

MLB 104772

3/21/2013 1:44 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Screw Your Neighbor redux--full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.