So, what do we make the flags out of? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
If getting injured is a major concern in your life, playing football is a bad idea.
Getting injured is one thing, turning your brain into mush is another. The league can't allow the players to make their own safety decisions. That doesn't work.
3/22/2013 12:56 PM
Players make a safety decision every time they step on a field.   Colliding full speed with other big men is not recommended by the surgeon general.
3/22/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2013 1:11:00 PM (view original):
Players make a safety decision every time they step on a field.   Colliding full speed with other big men is not recommended by the surgeon general.
Sure, but because the teams have the power when it comes to deciding who ends up as the running back and who ends up hanging drywall, we can't expect the players to make safe decisions. It just doesn't work that way, they won't do it. The players will do whatever it is they think will allow them to get and keep a job.

The league has to make the rules to protect players.
3/22/2013 1:38 PM
I'd be inclined to say the league makes rules to protect itself. 

Head injuries are to the NFL as steroids were to MLB.
3/22/2013 2:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2013 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I'd be inclined to say the league makes rules to protect itself. 

Head injuries are to the NFL as steroids were to MLB.
I agree with that. Like I said on the last page, I question how much of this is genuine concern for player safety and how much is a move to cover the league's ***.

At the same time, allowing players to use their head as a battering ram is a bad idea, so I like the rule. 
3/22/2013 2:17 PM
I wonder why it's taken them this long to make it.   Anyone who watches a game sees that the defenders are flagged when they lead with the head.  It made no sense that an offensive player could.   Of course, it was pretty similar to facemasking rules.   A ballcarrier could push a player's head all over the place with his hand on the grill but a defender touches it and it's a penalty.
3/22/2013 2:56 PM
And, FWIW, I do think the NFL cares somewhat for the players.  WIthout talented players, their product is diminished. 
3/22/2013 2:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):
I wonder why it's taken them this long to make it.   Anyone who watches a game sees that the defenders are flagged when they lead with the head.  It made no sense that an offensive player could.   Of course, it was pretty similar to facemasking rules.   A ballcarrier could push a player's head all over the place with his hand on the grill but a defender touches it and it's a penalty.
Agreed.  I'm sure this will make it a bit more difficult for RBs, but during games I've often wondered why a defensive player is penalized for leading with his helmet, but on offense it's encouraged. Look at guys like a John Lynch who got concussed and such because they launched at RBs and the RB lowered his head and lead with his helmet. It seems like a fair rule to me.
3/23/2013 2:40 PM
Quite frankly, the lowering the head rule on the defense is a well intentioned rule, but it is policed completely idiotically. The same will happen with this rule. With this idea that we must protect people from themselves in every sector of society society will decay. Just like the NFL has started to begin its end like boxing did for differing reasons. The simple fact is, that if you engage in a sport that is a full contact concussive sport (NFL, Boxing, MMA, etc.) then you must live with the consequences of participating in that sport. Yes, the player share the blame for it, but this is a societal thing. Its even a political thing now. There will come a point that even I will stop watching the sport. I have no interest in watching games that look like the pro bowl every week. 
4/3/2013 9:47 PM
Lawyers and lawsuits.    That's the problem.
4/4/2013 8:32 AM
players and football culture are to blame.  You can't have all these damn lawsuits by former players and not expect the league to react.  You also can't have players continually go back into games after concussions and injuries and expect the league not to react.  Quite simply if teams were better about playing injured players and players didn't sue, a lot of these new rules wouldn't have happened.
4/4/2013 10:22 AM
You want to play in the NFL? Sign a waiver.  "This sport is very dangerous, and it may kill you. Sign here."
4/4/2013 10:41 AM
◂ Prev 12
So, what do we make the flags out of? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.