OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

i agree he'll probably be there for a bit longer, but if the guys who gave him his first head coaching job come calling, it is something to think about. MN isnt so bad, i never had any attachment, but im starting to root for them for some reason... seems like they could be a good program, just need a coach to get things kick started.

it just seems to me that smart and stevens have the luxury of sitting where they are, its a great spot they are in, big 6 money without the pressure. so why take a big 6 program needing a major rebuild? seems they can wait for a top program when the highly successful incumbent steps down... but that does mean you have to come in and win immediately.
3/29/2013 11:56 AM
of course it does. that's the price for waiting for the top jobs to open rather than taking a rebuild. Lets say that Syracuse's top asst/HC in waiting Mike Hopkins takes either the USC or UCLA jobs (he's a SoCal boy after all) and Boeheim carries out his word and coaches next season to transition SU into the ACC, but finds he really isn't really fond of road trips to Greensboro, NC and Clemson, SC and hangs it up next year. Say SU managed to lure Stevens away from the "Big East" is there any way SU fans would be satisfied with anything less than ACC semi-finals and a bare minimum of an at large bid? Even one and done in the NT would be a disappointment. As an SU fan I can tell you I wouldn't be happy with anything less...
3/29/2013 12:10 PM (edited)
Posted by dacj501 on 3/29/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):
of course it does. that's the price for waiting for the top jobs to open rather than taking a rebuild. Lets say that Syracuse's top asst/HC in waiting Mike Hopkins takes either the USC or UCLA jobs (he's a SoCal boy after all) and Boeheim carries out his word and coaches next season to transition SU into the ACC, but finds he really isn't really fond of road trips to Greensboro, NC and Clemson, SC and hangs it up next year. Say SU managed to lure Stevens away from the "Big East" is there any way SU fans would be satisfied with anything less than ACC semi-finals and a bare minimum of an at large bid? Even one and done in the NT would be a disappointment. As an SU fan I can tell you I wouldn't be happy with anything less...
i certainly wouldnt expect you to be happy with less! just making the NT is not a big accomplishment for syracuse, i would be expecting a heck of a lot more from the next man to coach the orange, if i was a SU fan. i wouldnt be like, demanding a championship run right away or anything, but i'd expect to be in the championship mix somewhat regularly with a good number of s16s and such. its hard to fire a coach for not getting that championship, even after 15 seasons, but i do think you have to be in the mix... syracuse has been too good for too long, to accept less!
3/29/2013 1:21 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/29/2013 1:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 3/29/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):
i certainly wouldnt expect you to be happy with less! just making the NT is not a big accomplishment for syracuse, i would be expecting a heck of a lot more from the next man to coach the orange, if i was a SU fan. i wouldnt be like, demanding a championship run right away or anything, but i'd expect to be in the championship mix somewhat regularly with a good number of s16s and such. its hard to fire a coach for not getting that championship, even after 15 seasons, but i do think you have to be in the mix... syracuse has been too good for too long, to accept less!
I think personally that they will have to drag JAB off the court for his own funeral... 
3/29/2013 1:29 PM
anyone think marquette's run could get buzz the UCLA job? they could keep going it seems, thats a good team. kicking myself for picking miami fl, i dont know i just thought marquette was more likely to get upset before that game and thought both were good teams so it was kind of a wash in that game itself, but i think i under estimated them a bit.

seems like buzz has only been listed as a backup tier candidate but this is a pretty good run, and i dont think billyd/pitino/stevens/smart are taking the job. UCLA may not be quite as high as they once were but i still think its pretty far up there, somewhere between where the media seems to place them, and where the UCLA fans seem to place them. probably one step back from the top tier but i dont think its any more than that... but definitely depends on the coach, to a hungry young coach, they could be top tier, but to coaches looking for somewhat less pressure, might be a few tiers down. at least, thats how it seems to me, but i dont really know much...

i honestly think people are overboard citing howlands resume so much, using it to call the firing ridiculous - i dont think he got fired for their on-the-court performance, but for the off the court issues, and i think it was a reasonable firing if that is the case. for years now, seems like people have talked about how that program was a bit out of control, howland didnt have things under control anymore, etc... 
3/29/2013 2:48 PM (edited)
Posted by coach_billyg on 3/29/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):
anyone think marquette's run could get buzz the UCLA job? they could keep going it seems, thats a good team. kicking myself for picking miami fl, i dont know i just thought marquette was more likely to get upset before that game and thought both were good teams so it was kind of a wash in that game itself, but i think i under estimated them a bit.

seems like buzz has only been listed as a backup tier candidate but this is a pretty good run, and i dont think billyd/pitino/stevens/smart are taking the job. UCLA may not be quite as high as they once were but i still think its pretty far up there, somewhere between where the media seems to place them, and where the UCLA fans seem to place them. probably one step back from the top tier but i dont think its any more than that... but definitely depends on the coach, to a hungry young coach, they could be top tier, but to coaches looking for somewhat less pressure, might be a few tiers down. at least, thats how it seems to me, but i dont really know much...

i honestly think people are overboard citing howlands resume so much - i dont think he got fired for their on-the-court performance, but for the off the court issues, and i think it was a reasonable firing if that is the case. for years now, seems like people have talked about how that program was a bit out of control, howland didnt have things under control anymore, etc... 
I would love him for the Minnesota gig, I just fear he will view that as a lateral (or even step down) from Marquette. I love the way he coaches. 
3/29/2013 2:48 PM
ive never been a minnesota fan, never really had any feelings for them, but i started rooting for them under tubby just a bit, and now for some reason im really rooting for them to get a good coach and get things going. no idea why, just seems like minnesota has a lot of potential but just isnt really realizing it, and with them having an aggressive AD willing to take risks and demand excellence, i guess im hoping hes able to pull it off. i think buzz would be a great hire.

maybe its because we've both had to suffer under tubby's lackluster offense, there is literally nothing more boring and painful to watch, at its worst. all that talent is just wasted standing around shooting 3s at the buzzer, it makes you crazy, like you want to grab each guy by the shoulders, give them a shake, and yell MOVE!!!
3/29/2013 2:53 PM (edited)
randomly searching google for info, seems like a lot of people believe stevens turned down UCLA. by one article (which i found like 20 different places), wichita state's marshall is the new #1 target
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22903981/gregg-marshall-latest-it-name-ucla-coaching-search

my question is, why does he pass buzz williams? he did well at winthrop, sure, but this wichita state team is obviously not one who makes the elite 8 regularly, if you could sim the tournament over and over (if only there was a product to allow you to do that...) - while marquette is a great team who nobody is surprised to see make it. 

honestly if UCLA really is going after marshall, and he turns them down, then that is a REALLY bad sign for the bruins. its not surprising stevens or smart would turn them down, although even that is a harsh reality. but i mean really, if you cant pry marshall away from wichita state, you are in some SERIOUS trouble.
3/29/2013 11:16 PM
billyg, I think you're (fairly heavily) overrating the attractiveness of the MN gig. The thought of Shaka going there (even with his ex-boss running the show) was more than a pipe dream, and there's also zero chance that a guy like Buzz would leave Marquette for the Gophers.
3/30/2013 1:47 AM
The Minnesota Gig is probably just above Northwestern in terms of desirability for an established Power 6 coach. At best, a lateral move and very possibly a step down. Honestly, I think they get either a younger hungry assistant coach or an older guy who has something to prove. Both have their pros and cons. I am not a fan of "Tubby basketball" because I don't like the way his offenses play and never have. There were also some other issues going on there as well, player/coach issues, and I believe some Coach/administration issues.

All that being said, Many people, myself included, thought that Minnesota got a pretty lucky break to get Tubby in the first place. He was just what their program needed and he did a good job with what he had to work with. Tubby is a stand up coach who runs an impeccably clean program and they really needed that considering their history. He also gave them 2 other things that they badly needed : Near instant credibility and more importantly, 5/6  20 win seasons. 4 NCAA berths, Finally winning 1 of those just this season.

Which leads to the next thing that Minnesota now has a problem with in the eyes of many. They just gave him and extension, he makes the NT, Beats a higher seeded team, then loses to a higher seed, and gets fired. As far as I know, I can't name another coach in Minnesota's past who had 5 20 win seasons in 6 years. Officially that is, as the Haskins era doesn't officially exist.

What coach who is already successful where ever he is, will view this as a good job? Not Shaka, he's as happy as he can be where he is, and, he's been to a FF recently and it's very possible he could go back. Not Stevens, he's been to 2 championship games in 4 years. He was within 1 possession of winning the Title. At Butler. Is there anyone who believes that Stevens does not believe he can win a Title with Butler? Maybe he'll leave some day, but it sure isn't going to be for Minnesota and it won't be for UCLA either. UCLA also fired a coach who was winning and getting them in the NT. This time FF's. It was a down year, for certain, but he did win a Conference Title and get to the NCAA. Obviously, he wasn't perfect or he'd not be fired. But, again, you don't fire a winning coach unless you ALREADY have a sure-fire back-up plan in place, as in someone better already lined up.  The biggest issue facing both schools is that they have somewhat of an image problem now. HOW others perceive you is going to play a role in who wants to come work for you. Telling everyone come here and get fired for winning isn't the best form of publicity for your school, I'd think.

3/30/2013 4:42 AM
I agree...Minnesota's A.D. has an inflated sense of his program's relevance. It reminds me of North Carolina State in 2011. They hadn't made the Dance in 5 years but still considered themselves as a prime job.  They were turned down by Skaka,  Sean Miller, Billy Donovan, Mick Cronin, and Josh Pastner.   The A.D., Debbie Yow, finally hired her old friend Mark Gottfried who'd been out of coaching for 2 1/2 years. He was best known for 1) quitting Alabama in mid-season; 2 ) trying to woo away a Wake Forest recruit the day after Skip Prosser died. 

If you haven't seen Debbie Yow's press conference, introducing Mark Gottfried, go to youtube. It's a classic!  She publicly blamed Gary Williams of "sabatoging" her search.  If essense, she told the press, "Gottfriend wasn't my first choice but he's the best I could do."

In retrospect, Gottfried was a good hire for NC State and if off to a good start. But the long search was embarrassing for the school and fans. 
3/30/2013 7:49 AM
I don't see the top 3 candidates taking the UCLA job.  I have this feeling that it will be Mick Cronin.  Cincinnati is in limbo with the break up of the old Big East and even in the Big East UC fans do not support the program.  Cronin has lived in the shadows of Huggins since he has been at UC.  The school has enrolment of 36,000 and has 200,000 alum in the region.  But they have averaged about 7500 per game over the last several seasons. And even getting 8500 per game this season, fans are constantly calling for him to be fired. He is from Cincinnati, but the old saying goes "You can never go home". I think Cronin has to feel that way. If not UC, I think he would take a job where fans respect and support him and his team.  And with the Big East break up, now would be a good season to do so.
3/30/2013 10:09 AM
Steve Alford to UCLA ??
3/30/2013 12:43 PM
Posted by Iguana1 on 3/30/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Steve Alford to UCLA ??
Yep, this isn't a fever dream.  This is happening.
3/30/2013 12:49 PM
Craig Neal, assistant coach at New Mexico, has been named interim coach. He's a strong candidate for the head coaching job. He was a finalist at his alma mater, Georgia Tech. He's also considered the front runner for the Tennessee-Chattanooga job
3/30/2013 1:06 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.