DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 12:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Getting married makes people happy.  Why do you want to keep people from being happy?  If it doesn't affect you, or any heterosexual personally, what does it matter?
Marriage doesn't keep people happy.  Being in love with somebody makes people happy.  A legal certificate does not enhance that.
So you're saying marriage itself isn't important to you, just the love of the relationship?
3/29/2013 12:23 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 12:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/29/2013 12:16:00 PM (view original):
Getting married makes people happy.  Why do you want to keep people from being happy?  If it doesn't affect you, or any heterosexual personally, what does it matter?
I'm happy as **** when I chug Jack Daniels and drive 100 MPH down a deserted highway.

Why can't I?
You're consistent in being a moron, yes.

If it's truly deserted, and nobody's around, and you can't hurt yourself or anyone else, go nuts.  I don't care.
I don't care if gays marry.   I'm just saying "Makes people happy" is a dumbass way to determine laws. 

Extremely dumbass. 

Which, btw, fits you like a glove.
3/29/2013 12:24 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 3/29/2013 12:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 12:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 3/29/2013 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg2 on 3/29/2013 11:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 3/29/2013 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 11:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 10:37:00 AM (view original):
I guess I'll ask - Why do heterosexuals care if homosexuals want to be married?

It offends me because we are being forced to change the definition of marriage from something that it has always been since the dawn of human history, culture and tradition (one man and one woman) to something "new" just to placate a special interest group, all in the name of "political correctness".

As I said earlier, I'm all in favor of equal rights for same-sex couples with regard to taxes, benefits, etc.  Just don't call it marriage.  That's a bastardization of tradition and the institution.
Hasn't the definition of marriage changed throughout the course of history?  As an example, it is now defined as a (more or less) equal partnership, whereas it used to simply be a way for a man to insure that the children borne by the woman he had sex with were actually his.  Does that change offend you as well?
I don't believe that was what the definition of marriage used to be.  Marriage has always been a traditionally recognized bond between a man and a woman to define a family.  The "equality" that you are referring to falls under a totally separate umbrella of equal rights for women, which goes way beyond marriage.
If you don't believe it, look it up.  Marriage started as a way to legitimize offspring and establish rights of exclusive sexual access for the man.  Historically, the definition of marriage has evolved greatly over the years in Western society.  So, that being the case, does the evolution of marriage from that to "a traditionally recognized bond between a man and a woman to define a family" offend you as well?
Any traditional definition of marriage from 25 years or so back has always been between a man and a woman.  That has been the foundation of any and every definition since the beginning of human culture, and has been a universally accepted aspect of marriage.  Anything else, such as what you are suggesting above, was not universal.
That is factually incorrect.  Universally (as you use the term), it used to be that a man could take more than one woman as a wife.  Does the evolution to only one woman for every one man offend you as well?
Nope.  Monogamous marriages have been around for tens of thousands of years.  The fact that polygamous marriages have fallen from popularity does not offend me.
3/29/2013 12:24 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Says who? Why are you determining what makes a homosexual happy?
You seem to be, by implying that a piece of notarized paper should enhance love between two people.  That seems odd to think that the relationship itself is somehow not enough.
3/29/2013 12:28 PM
Okay, good.  An evolving definition of marriage doesn't offend you, then.  So, if it isn't a change to the definition of marriage that offends you about gay marriage, what does?
3/29/2013 12:28 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Marriage doesn't keep people happy.  Being in love with somebody makes people happy.  A legal certificate does not enhance that.
So you're saying marriage itself isn't important to you, just the love of the relationship?
Love without marriage is much more meaningful than a marriage without love.  Or the inclusion of a notarized piece of paper.
3/29/2013 12:32 PM (edited)
Posted by examinerebb on 3/29/2013 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Okay, good.  An evolving definition of marriage doesn't offend you, then.  So, if it isn't a change to the definition of marriage that offends you about gay marriage, what does?
Gay marriage is a fundamental change to the definition of "man and woman".  None of the other things that you mentioned were fundamental to the definition.

I've already explained this.
3/29/2013 12:31 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Love without marriage is much more meaningful than a marriage without love.  Or the inclusion of a notarized piece of paper.
OK.

Does marriage matter to you? Would you be just as happy if you weren't allowed to marry your wife? Or does that piece of paper mean something?
3/29/2013 12:34 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Gay marriage is a fundamental change to the definition of "man and woman".  None of the other things that you mentioned were fundamental to the definition.

So you don't care how much the definition of marriage changes (or has changed, many times over many years), as long as the definition doesn't change enough to allow gay people to marry?

Is that a fair summary of your argument?
3/29/2013 12:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/29/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
I'm happy as **** when I chug Jack Daniels and drive 100 MPH down a deserted highway.

Why can't I?

If it's truly deserted, and nobody's around, and you can't hurt yourself or anyone else, go nuts.  I don't care.
I don't care if gays marry.   I'm just saying "Makes people happy" is a dumbass way to determine laws. 

Extremely dumbass. 

You know there are other considerations that differ, right?

Allowing gays to marry makes them happy and has zero effect on anyone else. The same can't be said for driving drunk at 100 MPH, whether or not you think the highway is deserted.
3/29/2013 12:41 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 3/29/2013 12:35:00 PM (view original):

So you don't care how much the definition of marriage changes (or has changed, many times over many years), as long as the definition doesn't change enough to allow gay people to marry?

No.  I don't believe that the fundamental definition of marriage has changed over the years.  All the changes you have referred to have been ancillary changes.
3/29/2013 12:42 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 12:32:00 PM (view original):
OK.

Does marriage matter to you? Would you be just as happy if you weren't allowed to marry your wife? Or does that piece of paper mean something?
I believe my relationship with my wife would be just as meaningful without a piece of paper.  If it wasn't, then there would be something fundamentally wrong with our relationship.
3/29/2013 12:45 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):

Why can't I?

Extremely dumbass. 

Allowing gays to marry makes them happy and has zero effect on anyone else. The same can't be said for driving drunk at 100 MPH, whether or not you think the highway is deserted.

I'm not sure you get to determine what effects everyone else.

I dare say tec is offended by gay marriage.   Would you say he's affected?   I don't care if you agree with him, think he's irrational or if he's just a gay hater.   Do you think he's affected in some way?

3/29/2013 12:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/29/2013 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 3/29/2013 12:35:00 PM (view original):

No.  I don't believe that the fundamental definition of marriage has changed over the years.  All the changes you have referred to have been ancillary changes.

The only thing those changes are ancillary to is the argument you're trying to make.  The definition has changed over time.  Numerous times in numerous ways.  You're fine with all of those changes, you just don't like this particular proposed change.  Why?  Because it doesn't involve a man and a woman?  Why is that so fundamental to marriage?  Fundamental to procreation, sure.  But why marriage?

3/29/2013 12:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/29/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/29/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):

Why can't I?

Extremely dumbass. 

I'm not sure you get to determine what effects everyone else.

I dare say tec is offended by gay marriage.   Would you say he's affected?   I don't care if you agree with him, think he's irrational or if he's just a gay hater.   Do you think he's affected in some way?

He already said he wouldn't be affected.
3/29/2013 1:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.