Actually, they absolutely should.  That quote couldn't be more incorrect from a business stance.  I'm actually amazed you can't comprehend that simple concept, and it sheds a lot of light on your previous posts.

No, they shouldn't create everything anyone or a group of people clamor for. For example, I would love to see interactive video game type stuff in HD which would allow me to "see" the game being played right on my computer screen. However, this would take a great deal of resources to make happen, and it wouldn't be a good use of those resources. So while it would be nice, it probably should not happen.

Not everything that would be nice in the minds of some is a good use of resources. I'm amazed you can't comprehend THAT simple concept.
I hold to the statement that the way you use the Internet is simply inefficient because you are too reliant on the computer.

There are two problems with your statement:

First, my being "too reliant on the computer" is no different from your being "too reliant on mobile browsing". The logic is applied the same, so this statement effectively means nothing.

Second, the computer is much more efficient for using the internet. It's faster in most cases, it has more capabilities, and it has a much larger screen for viewing more and easier. The ONLY advantage of mobile browsing is the "mobile" part - something laptops and especially tablets are also adept at and are much better for. Really, internet on the cell phone is something that is nice in a pinch but is so inefficient it should be a last resort.
 If you don't like it, don't download the app... though you likely couldn't on a flip phone anyhow.

What I have a problem with is WIS wasting resources on an app when there are better things to use those resources on, such as improving game play.

Whether I could download the app on a flip phone is irrelevant since I don't have the internet on the flip phone anyway.
you probably shouldn't even care to post on this topic as you wouldn't have an option to download a WIS app if one were available anyway. 
I DO care about this topic because, as I already said, I'd rather WIS not waste resources on things like apps that could be better used on other things like game play.
That's something you wouldn't know if you didn't have one of your own, so your description of how inefficient smartphones are is based on limited knowledge of how to operate them in the first place.
So then tell me:

Can I view all the web sites and other materials on your smart phone the same way I can on my computer? Is the screen just as big? Is the connection speed just as fast?

If you answered no to any of those questions, then it's not more efficient.

If you disagree, please tell me how your phone is supposed to be more efficient than my computer in any way. The only one I see is its smaller size which makes it a bit easier to transport, but even that is really not much of an advantage over my laptop.

4/3/2013 12:36 PM
Ahem.

...which is to say, don't argue with bistiza when he's making one of these stands.  You'll go down the rabbit hole.

4/3/2013 12:43 PM
I've used logic to show how internet on phones is less efficient than internet on computers. I'm perfectly willing to hear a logical argument against it if one exists.

The only rabbit hole - or any hole - I see is the one people dig when they try to argue from their feelings rather than from logic, i.e. you feel glad to use your phone for mobile browsing and don't want to see it as less than efficient because you like it, but the logic suggests you're simply in denial.

4/3/2013 12:55 PM
If I'm watching a game or movie or whatever I can whip out my phone and look up some info in 30 seconds...you have to get up, go to your computer, turn it on, wait for it to boot up, then look up the info you want. That's pretty inefficient to me. Or if you leave your computer on so you can skip a couple of those steps, that's inefficient use of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone ;)
4/3/2013 1:22 PM
As a fairly neutral party, I can actually see pros and cons to both Ryrun's and Bistiza's arguments (points?).  However, and to take this off on just a small detour, one thing that I absolutely stand 100% against (and this is against the technology guys) is texting or browsing while driving.  Browsing isn't "quite" the problem yet that texting is, but texting while driving is becoming an epidemic.

Last summer, had I not been paying attention, I would have lost my son in a car wreck due to some ******* running a red light at about 70 miles an hour, all while texting his wife that he was on the way home.  Luckily, I WAS paying attention and jammed on the brakes before he could T-bone my son's side of the car.  Would have killed my boy, no doubt in my mind.  How do I know he was texting, you might ask?  Because I followed him to his house to confront him about running the red light and in the course of our conversation, he admitted that he was sending a text and not paying attention to the road.  That text he was sending?  He could have just told his wife in person when he got home five minutes later.  Five minutes, yet he risked everyone's lives that he encountered (to include his own) all because he just HAD to send that text.

When I pull up to a stop light and look to my left or right, I see kids sitting in the driver's seat sending a text.  All the time.  Technology is great and if you don't embrace it (or at least most of it, I guess) you're doomed to go the way of the dinosaurs.  But.....there is a time and a place for it and the driver's seat of a vehicle isn't one of them.  Unfortunately, some people have become SO addicted to it, that they can't help themselves.  Soap box moment over.
4/3/2013 1:25 PM
Just ignoring the moronic troll from here on out.  Wouldn't know logic if it smacked him upside his egotistical head.

Anyways, back to things that actually matter.

Most features of the app would be a breeze.  Game planning doesn't have a ton of user input, mostly just drop downs.  Player game plan would be a little more tedious but still doable.  The areas where I was seeing it would get to be a pain to provide a useful user experience was especially in setting your practice plan and also filtering/viewing recruit results, and viewing stats/records/box scores/etc, just because there's so many columns of data and not enough screen space to utilize the same design as on the site.  You could handle the practice plan by have a practice plan page for each recruit where you'd set the minutes in there.  I'm sure there would be some decent ways to display the data - it'd probably have to be in a landscape view if you're still trying to display a grid or maybe you just make a slider to where you can swipe through the recruits individually.  I didn't get to the point where I thought through it enough for that and the other areas I mentioned, but you could certainly still make something pretty useful and marketable, even if you had to reel in the scope a bit to not encompass all of the site's functionality.
4/3/2013 1:26 PM
Posted by scthallfan on 4/3/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
If I'm watching a game or movie or whatever I can whip out my phone and look up some info in 30 seconds...you have to get up, go to your computer, turn it on, wait for it to boot up, then look up the info you want. That's pretty inefficient to me. Or if you leave your computer on so you can skip a couple of those steps, that's inefficient use of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone ;)
Touche.
4/3/2013 1:26 PM
how would they waste resources when they'd be generating more income by selling a $2 or $3 dollar app? I know as long as it isn't too expensive I'd purchase it along with probably a majority of others so resources aren't wasted when income is generated. You generate more resources with more income.Whether the resources generated are used to improve the game is up to WIS. 

Also if you are so concerned about screen size, maybe you have vision issues, idk... you could look into something like the galazy note which has a huge screen with all the capabilities of smaller smartphones. My smartphone probably has more pixels than your 22'' desktop monitor. I know my pictures look better on my phone than on my computer, more color deeper resolution...

Can you view all sites and material on smart phone the same as the computer? Yes definitely if you're not handicapped by flash with an ios device... 

What does screen size have to do with effeciency? Power wise a smaller screen is more effecient as it uses less power. Screen size is more about preference not efficiency.

As for connection speed, that also depends on the phone. I can use my provider network on my phone or  i can switch to wifi which is pretty much just as fast as your computer speed. Sometimes my internet service goes down and I have to use my smartphone to access the internet... or vice versa, the point is I have the option and you don't so you yes I do believe mobile internet is more efficient. It's more effecient in that it is always readily available for my use and it's usually in my pocket wherever I am... if I'm not home I don't have to go to an internet cafe I can just use my phone. I have gps if I get lost, I have all my music, all my videos, all my pictures, access to my email accounts, alarm systems, calendar planning, my NY times, my banking accounts (I can transfer funds in seconds because of my mobile), I can even control my xbox from my phone if I so choose to it also turns into a remote for my cable if I want it to. Yes I think that's more efficient than a computer and the reason why desktop sales are in the dumps. If smartphones were so less efficient than your desktop I doubt they would be at the height of popularity accross the globe.

Whether you can dl the app is relevant because you wouldn't even have to worry about getting the app. Are you really so much "in the know" about what would be a waste of resources for WIS? Do you work for the company or something? You know the business model? Are you a consultant? Just asking not trying to be smart because if you are then I will stop right now.  An app would generate more interest and make the game easier to play if the app is made properly.  

There are a plethra of different devices out that meet the demands of the user. You want a big screen there's a phone for that. You want a physical keyboard or stylus, there's a phone for that. It all depends on your taste.

4/3/2013 1:31 PM
Posted by ryrun on 4/3/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Just ignoring the moronic troll from here on out.  Wouldn't know logic if it smacked him upside his egotistical head.

Most features of the app would be a breeze.  Game planning doesn't have a ton of user input, mostly just drop downs.  Player game plan would be a little more tedious but still doable.  The areas where I was seeing it would get to be a pain to provide a useful user experience was especially in setting your practice plan and also filtering/viewing recruit results, and viewing stats/records/box scores/etc, just because there's so many columns of data and not enough screen space to utilize the same design as on the site.  You could handle the practice plan by have a practice plan page for each recruit where you'd set the minutes in there.  I'm sure there would be some decent ways to display the data - it'd probably have to be in a landscape view if you're still trying to display a grid or maybe you just make a slider to where you can swipe through the recruits individually.  I didn't get to the point where I thought through it enough for that and the other areas I mentioned, but you could certainly still make something pretty useful and marketable, even if you had to reel in the scope a bit to not encompass all of the site's functionality.
Please excuse and reduce my ignorance... what are the advantages an app has over a mobile site, and vice versa?  Obviously one point for the app is speed, and one for the site is (near-)universality across devices.
4/3/2013 1:32 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/3/2013 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ryrun on 4/3/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):

Please excuse and reduce my ignorance... what are the advantages an app has over a mobile site, and vice versa?  Obviously one point for the app is speed, and one for the site is (near-)universality across devices.
A mobile site is generally a better idea for what WIS needs - a mobile app would be fine for something more specific, like say they wanted to create an app for recruiting or something like that, where they really focused on bettering the recruiting experience on a mobile device.  

That's not to say there aren't other advantages of an app vs a mobile site.  Speed, as you mentioned, where I can just pop open the app and I'm there.  People tend to feel more secure on an app in general, so doing things like purchasing seasons (which you could then link through the app store) would likely get more use on an app vs someone entering their CC info on a site.  You can gather more user info from a device than you can on a site, so there are advantages from the WIS corporate side as well from an analytical standpoint.  It's more dependable to store data in the app's AppData sandbox vs storing cookies for login info too.

There are a lot of advantages of a mobile site, too.  On the iOS side especially, a mobile site is a huge upgrade just because you don't have to go through Apple's tedious approval process, which can take months.  Droid is much more open, but that's still a hurdle you don't have to jump in getting people to download your app - they go to www.whatifsports.com and you just have a simple redirect that takes them to m.whatifsports.com, or t.whatifsports.com if they're coming on a tablet.  That goes for updates too - you don't have to depend on a user to update your app if you have a mobile site - you just roll the update to your server and the next time they refresh the page, they get the latest version.  You can write some pretty awesome stuff with HTML5 now which is what my company has been looking into extensively over the past few months - you could write a mobile site that has the look and feel of an app with all of the new capabilities introduced.

The general process is to first create a mobile site, then if you identify a need or opportunity where you can expand on an aspect of the site, you can break it off into its own app and then advertise it on the site.  It all just depends on how they want to approach it.  They're looking for iOS people, so it seems like they're going to throw it all (or at least a lot of it) into an app and skip the mobile site... their site isn't a terrible overall experience on a mobile device anyways, so maybe that's why.  It could be improved, but it's usable.
4/3/2013 1:45 PM (edited)
When I am using WiFi on my Galaxy SIII, the internet loads a lot faster than on my laptop.
4/3/2013 2:03 PM
If I'm watching a game or movie or whatever I can whip out my phone and look up some info in 30 seconds...you have to get up, go to your computer, turn it on, wait for it to boot up, then look up the info you want. That's pretty inefficient to me.

I have a couple problems with this:

First and foremost, I have never been so desperate to know something while watching a game or movie that I felt an instant need to go online to find the info. Even if I want to know, there's no reason it can't wait.

Second, my computer is on most of the time, so all I have to do is connect and search. It really doesn't take any longer than it would for you to whip out your phone and run a slower search by struggling to type as quickly and having a slower connection speed (especially in some areas).
Or if you leave your computer on so you can skip a couple of those steps, that's inefficient use of electricity.
So is your cell phone when you leave it on. Or do you charge it by hooking it up to solar power?
Sent from my iPhone ;)
How long did it take you to type that on your tiny iphone touchscreen keypad? Do you enjoy taking extra time to type things from that?

Because I'm willing to bet every penny I have that my ability to type 90 words per minute on a standard keyboard absolutely destroys your typing speed on an iphone.
Browsing isn't "quite" the problem yet that texting is, but texting while driving is becoming an epidemic.

No one should ever be sending or receiving text messages while driving. It can wait.
Classic. Ignore someone and throw out insults at them when they've presented an argument you have no answer for.
how would they waste resources when they'd be generating more income by selling a $2 or $3 dollar app? I know as long as it isn't too expensive I'd purchase it along with probably a majority of others so resources aren't wasted when income is generated. You generate more resources with more income.Whether the resources generated are used to improve the game is up to WIS.
This is actually a good point. More income would mean more resources, and perhaps those could be invested to improve game play. As long as WIS did that, then I'd have no problem with an app being created. However, I what I think is more probable is WIS spending money and taking time to create an app and not improving game play.
Also if you are so concerned about screen size, maybe you have vision issues, idk...
Have you seen the TV commercials where the guy asks children whether bigger or smaller is better, and they all say "bigger"?

Let me know when your phone has a 22-inch monitor. I don't have vision issues, but all else being equal, bigger screens are better - this is why tablets are also better than cell phones for internet.

4/3/2013 2:39 PM
I've seen the commercial, but in real life when I'm around my kid and my neices and nephews they have three devices available to them. Kindles, Ipads, and smartphones (galaxy s3, iphone 4). Why do they all fight over the smartphones and eventually settle for the ipad or the kindle when all the devices do the same things? Bigger is better is a cliche statement reserved for TV adds because it certainly isn't always true.  

Again size is preference. And device manufacturers have addressed this by creating tablets and bigger smartphones but a tablet is more like a smartphone than it is a computer only lacking the ability to make a phone call (the galaxy note is basically a small tablet). you can still text from it and do everything else you can with a smartphone.  I mean look at the market, even Apple has made the ipad mini... it's cheaper and the screen size is sufficient..preference.Why would they waste resources making this if "bigger is better"?

If I had to choose between using my smartphone or my ipad, I'd use my smartphone because it just feels more comfortable in my hand... this is the reason I think my kids fight over the phones when tablets are available as well... Size = preference, not efficiency.

4/3/2013 2:54 PM
My cellphone is not always plugged in therefore it's not always using electricity unlike your computer which you said you always leave on. I charge it once a night just like I have all my other cellphones I have ever owned so no more electricity used than before...just because you can't type fast on a phone doesn't mean others can't. It took me all of about 15-20 seconds to type that message. Also just because you have "never been so desperate" to know something doesn't mean that you won't ever be or that other people aren't. But this is pointless because no one will change anyone's mind here.

I for one have no real problems using my phone to recruit at work since I drive around to a bunch of different places everyday, this not being around a computer all day, so I'm not sure what difference an app would make for me. I would probably use it only if it were free. I haven't had any problems with anything with HD while on my phone so wouldn't really need to have an app. But I do see where it could be useful if they decide to make one. I would be intrigued with buying seasons through iTunes though instead of typing in all my info every time I want to renew though.
4/3/2013 4:07 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about this "automobile" thingy.  It's so inefficient.  I mean, you have to keep track of your keys, handle all kinds of maintenance, and gasoline is so much more expensive than the grass and hay I already have laying around!  I'll never abandon my trusty steed.
4/3/2013 4:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.