DDL #1 - It's the 80's (full / waiting list) Topic

Introducing the Decade Draft League (DDL) - Instead of drafting the top 288 out of 4000, lets try the top 288 out of 1000. Damn parity, this should make things alittle more difficult and interesting. Any taker's???

DDL Season #1
Commish
- smokey57 (for now, will probably be voted out of office by DDL #2)
Format: Single season, Forum Draft, Era Limited, Single Instance player availabilty
Forum Draft: randomized order, ABBA draft sequence (will, likely change to reverse w/l order for returning owners DDL #2)
Era: 1980-89 (will change with each new DDL)
Available player pool: active WIS players, seasons 80-81 through 89-90 (set your filter..smokey hates the word "oop's",12 games in)
Salery cap: unlimited (build an 80's beast)
No clones 
No Waiver Wire
No Rookies
No Net
No Whining
  (well..maybe alittle, but only during the draft)

Parity comes from a number of sources, 1) owner parity, 2) player pool parity and 3) artificial parity by division assignment. Owner parity is natural, expected and desirable. Player pool parity will be reduced by reduction of player pool size and content. Reducing the player pool by 75% significantly increases the percentage of total player pool used, combined with the single instance draft this significantly reduces player parity. That leaves artificial parity by division assignment. I've been looking at divisional assignments lately. SIM loads the weakest teams in a division, the strongest teams in a division, the best defenses in a division and so on. Most likely I'll throw the teams in a bucket, shake it awhile and the first six teams out go in the Atlantic Division. High tech, this is not...fair, maybe. My intent here is to reduce all but owner parity so the owners skills shine. I know there's nothing I can do about "normalization". Should make for an interesting league though!

The player searches for the 80's draft are incredible, I love what I'm seeing. I was alittle worried about draft depth until I did some searches, the draft is plenty deep. By going to an "unlimited salery cap" it really gives coaching choices wrt multiple setup's & rotations. Fatigue should be a non-issue. I have some realistic draft rosters that I can't believe how good they are. You may have to move out of yor comfort zone alittle bit but I think this league will give us fantastic competetion and a great deal of fun. Thanks for coming!

Countdown:  24 teams taken 0 to go   (limit 2 teams/owner 4/16)

Roster
smokey57(2)         seapilots(2)            cats46563        alecmcafee
skypilot(2)              carbonjones(2)       jhsukow
badja                      coachcroft                cmcafeeky
thomcat                  tanguma(2)             shawbigred
dh555                    98average                natenoy
kdforester              Husker75                 steelers821

4/29/2013 6:57 PM (edited)
79-80 through 88-89 would be a true 80s league... just fyi.
4/10/2013 4:25 AM
This would be great.  I know an 80's theme filled here quickly (with no draft, just all 80's players).

IN
4/10/2013 9:32 AM
I'll give it a try.

Am I correct in assuming only one version of each player can be in the pool?
4/10/2013 6:10 PM

Thomcat, yup this is a single instance league. You draft him and he's all yours.

4/10/2013 6:24 PM
im up for pretty much any draft league...in
4/10/2013 6:27 PM
Thanks Ash, 1979-80 though 1988-89, would work fine also. Just need to tack it down before we start.
4/10/2013 8:26 PM
1979-1980 thru 1989-1990 would be the best gives us a good number of players to chose from
4/10/2013 9:33 PM

I'd prefer 68 thru 95

4/10/2013 9:42 PM
The idea is to reduce the pool, so we don't just use just the top 5%. This way we use around the top 25%, which is somewhat more difficult. This will hopefully reduce parity so the league is alittle less of a coin toss.
4/10/2013 10:20 PM
Felon...you "in" or "chick'n"??? 
4/16/2013 5:38 PM (edited)
Here's an idea, we play 4 leagues (70'-79', 80'-89', 90'-99' & 00'-present) then top 24 owners, based on a points system, get together for the overall championship. The championship will use players from 51'-69'. In the overall championship everyone throws in a $5 GC, winner takes ALL! Just thinking out loud, let's fill this thing and get it going.
4/12/2013 9:02 PM (edited)
lets work on trying to get this filled first....loooong way to go
4/11/2013 12:29 AM
How about a double draft league? 12 owners per conference and 2 drafts going at the same time for the just the 80"s players. As an owner you pick twice as frequently and the teams are better.

The players are not exclusive between the conferences. The players are exclusive within each conference and for each draft. It worked once before for a $52 Million draft league and it never ran again. For a more limited player pool it would work pretty well I think. Any thoughts?
4/11/2013 1:12 AM
In.
4/11/2013 1:51 AM
123456 Next ▸
DDL #1 - It's the 80's (full / waiting list) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.