Biggest Point Spread Upset Topic

While I am sure that it was not unprecedented, I lost my first game of the season in Allen as a 32-point favorite.  Has that ever happened to any of you?  What should I have done differently?

My team:
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=7699

Other team:
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=7531

Boxscore:
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9346003

4/12/2013 3:18 PM
Lost to a Sim team where I was favored by 62.  Ended the season 33-2 and won the National Title.  You figure it out 'cause I still haven't.

This was in Knight D2, at N. Colorado, season 28.  Really wish I had saved that boxscore.  Wish even more that we could just go back and pull up old boxscores.  Let's get on that WIS.
4/14/2013 4:19 PM (edited)
I've lost as a 30+ favorite and won as a 30+ underdog. In both cases, the underdog was a press team. In the former case, my team was overrated to begin with. (the latter case was in conference play and a win over an Elite Eight team, so I wouldn't call them overrated at all)
4/12/2013 5:28 PM

I hear you.  Look at this box score and tell me how a press team with these ratings wins.  The SIM plays a guy with 1 Def ratings.  Check out box score and click the SIM team.  No way a FCP team with those ratings doesn't foul out everybody.
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9351264

4/14/2013 1:38 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 4/14/2013 1:38:00 PM (view original):

I hear you.  Look at this box score and tell me how a press team with these ratings wins.  The SIM plays a guy with 1 Def ratings.  Check out box score and click the SIM team.  No way a FCP team with those ratings doesn't foul out everybody.
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9351264

seems like a fair game to me, your just over reacting
4/14/2013 1:45 PM

My thoughts exactly.  That was a comical example, and Terps, considering you were only a 13 pt. favorite, one that is completely unrelated to this thread.
4/14/2013 1:58 PM
As to the OP...my worst loss is one to a SIM in which I was a 46 pt fav.  Ugh.
4/14/2013 1:59 PM
How can you say that is fair.  I run FCP alot with other teams and if I had his ratings and underclassmen I usually get destroyed.  My team ain't no powerhouse and I'm not complaining, I'm just saying if you look at it and SIM's ratings no way he shouldn't of fouled out 4 guys and doesn't have that good of an off team to score that many points.  I beat 2 decent teams with hell of better important ratings and won.  Definately not fair, don't go there.  Just wierd how I would of fouled everybody out with those ratings.
4/14/2013 2:02 PM
Posted by abitaamber on 4/14/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):

My thoughts exactly.  That was a comical example, and Terps, considering you were only a 13 pt. favorite, one that is completely unrelated to this thread.
True, but just giving example of a team that had 10 underclassmen.  Like I said not complaining just stating he should of fouled out over half of his guys.  No need to yell at me.  LOL
4/14/2013 2:05 PM
Pretty sure I was a 42 point favorite over a Sim AI (Montevallo) at home and lost...I didn't gameplan back then, and regretfully, everyone heard about it lol.

I've recently combed over some of my old roster sheets like Donald Trump from late 2009 and early 2010 and I wasn't that good back then either, I'm not sure I understood what a good recruit was at that time, I would just kind of get obsessed with one singular category...I'd like to think that I have a better understanding of the game 3+ years later, and largely, I did it my way, but am very appreciative of all the help I've gotten here.

4/14/2013 9:30 PM (edited)
Posted by colonels19 on 4/14/2013 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure I was a 42 point favorite over a Sim AI (Montevallo) at home and lost...I didn't gameplan back then, and regretfully, everyone heard about it lol.

I've recently combed over some of my old roster sheets like Donald Trump from late 2009 and early 2010 and I wasn't that good back then either, I'm not sure I understood what a good recruit was at that time, I would just kind of get obsessed with one singular category...I'd like to think that I have a better understanding of the game 3+ years later, and largely, I did it my way, but am very appreciative of all the help I've gotten here.

Just think Trev, had you not been so damn combative way back when, you might have gotten even more help.  I'll never forget the "50/50, he'll make it or he won't" debate.  Classic, ha ha!!  Of course, being combative is what made you "famous" I guess, so more power to you sir!
4/14/2013 11:34 PM
Lofl...this may sound a bit strange, and I've said it before, but I don't want to be taught, I don't want to be mentored, I don't and didn't want to learn the game the way anyone else played it because I like to do things my way.  I never wanted to feel like I was an extension/disciple of X coach, I always wanted to know enough so I could pursue and attempt to conquer the game the way I see/saw fit, and I appreciate that many of you catered to me in that fashion.  For better or for worse, it's who I am, and I don't see my behavior as arrogant or cocky, I was never trying to suggest that I was better than anyone or show up anyone because I didn't "want their help", I'm just that stubbornly set (for lack of a better term) of succeeding/failing on my own merit that I didn't/don't want to be emy2, girt2, alblack2, gillispie2, etc....I want(ed) to leave my own distinct stamp.

I try to mentor in the same fashion, though I would first recommend to said user that they talk to someone who's better at the game than I lol.  I haven't been asked for help much, but I try to be vague while helping said user try to understand the nuance(s) of the game...not so much what works, but perhaps think about more why it works and to find success in the way that YOU/THEY play the game...again that's just kind of how I roll.  I think everyone here is fantastic though, and will help/answer questions at the drop of a hat.

4/14/2013 11:58 PM (edited)
Posted by colonels19 on 4/14/2013 11:58:00 PM (view original):
Lofl...this may sound a bit strange, and I've said it before, but I don't want to be taught, I don't want to be mentored, I don't and didn't want to learn the game the way anyone else played it because I like to do things my way.  I never wanted to feel like I was an extension/disciple of X coach, I always wanted to know enough so I could pursue and attempt to conquer the game the way I see/saw fit, and I appreciate that many of you catered to me in that fashion.  For better or for worse, it's who I am, and I don't see my behavior as arrogant or cocky, I was never trying to suggest that I was better than anyone or show up anyone because I didn't "want their help", I'm just that stubbornly set (for lack of a better term) of succeeding/failing on my own merit that I didn't/don't want to be emy2, girt2, alblack2, gillispie2, etc....I want(ed) to leave my own distinct stamp.

I try to mentor in the same fashion, though I would first recommend to said user that they talk to someone who's better at the game than I lol.  I haven't been asked for help much, but I try to be vague while helping said user try to understand the nuance(s) of the game...not so much what works, but perhaps think about more why it works and to find success in the way that YOU/THEY play the game...again that's just kind of how I roll.  I think everyone here is fantastic though, and will help/answer questions at the drop of a hat.

I don't think that sounds strange at all.  In fact, I wish MORE people had that attitude instead of wanting everything spoonfed to them just so they can have it as easy as they possibly can without having to work at all.

By the way, like you, I never had a mentor.  Never wanted one.  Only asked for help one time in my entire HD career and I think I ended up a halfway decent coach.  I also think I enjoyed getting to where I now am as a coach more than if I would have had someone holding my hand and looking over my shoulder at every move I made.  At least I know that every bit of success (and failure) is mine and mine only.
4/15/2013 12:08 AM (edited)
That's awesome man.  I think we are exceptions to the rule and perhaps take our (good) selfishness to the extreme.  If I was uber-successful in this game but because I played exactly like someone else, this game wouldn't be fun for me.  I'm not perfect by any means, I have a lot left to conquer, accomplish, and figure out in my life, but with that said, I wouldn't rather be anyone else.  Starting to get beyond the game here, so I'm gonna put Trevocrates to bed ahora lol.
4/15/2013 12:14 AM
i actually feel similarly to colonels, i just think the Colonels of the Montevallo incident was a very extreme version of this. This game has such a steep learning curve and progresses so slowly that you should at least read the forums a decent amount to learn about the game...lest you spend several years to get to competitiveness.
4/15/2013 3:00 PM
12 Next ▸
Biggest Point Spread Upset Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.