Opinion.. Editting URL in draft center Topic

Biglenr should have sitemailed the commissioner before the league started and asked for clarification. The problem ends there. It isn't the responsibility of commissioners to be aware of loop holes.
4/28/2013 6:29 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 4/28/2013 6:29:00 AM (view original):
Biglenr should have sitemailed the commissioner before the league started and asked for clarification. The problem ends there. It isn't the responsibility of commissioners to be aware of loop holes.
Wow.... do I ever disagree with that last sentence.

It IS the commisioners responsibility to be aware of loopholes and to have a good basic understanding of how the rules he has in place will affect play.  Right there is the main reason that many people play in leagues run by experienced commishes... The rules are spelled out, they generally make sense, and they're enforcable. 
4/29/2013 11:25 AM
Posted by biglenr on 4/29/2013 11:25:00 AM (view original):

It IS the commisioners responsibility to be aware of loopholes and to have a good basic understanding of how the rules he has in place will affect play.  Right there is the main reason that many people play in leagues run by experienced commishes... The rules are spelled out, they generally make sense, and they're enforcable. 
Agreed...the commish is responsible for setting the rules of the league. As an owner you can ask questions which can be addressed by the commish, but it is their job to set the rules. If this is the SYN league that I saw running in the classifieds recently, I didn't play becuase there were no no PA or IP floor/cielings on the teams and I was shocked to see that. Of course I could have asked the commish if that was an oversight, but I just decided that I didn't want to play in a league like that.
4/29/2013 2:43 PM

You claim that commissioners have the responsibilty to be aware of loopholes and then you fail to give a reason. Saying that commissioners who are aware of loopholes are more desirable than ones who don't is not an argument towards that claim. You also claim that it is their responibilty to "have a basic understanding of how the rules will affect play". Same problem.

Here's an example of how to argue that someone should be responsible for something: The commissioner is responsible to clearly explain his posted restrictions and enforcing them. The reason for this is that the service a theme league creator provides is to add limitations to an already existing database and an already existing set of rules thereby making an improvement in his opinion on the basic game. Therefore, since the existing database and rules are already knowns, it logically follows that only the new variables to the database/rules require explaination by the party setting them.

Example #2: Littlelenr is responsible for seeking his own clarification on any aspect of the league that falls outside of the limiting service provided by the creator. The reason for this is that the commissioner has already provided Littlelenr with the service of improving the basic game and has already given a clear explaination of how he is doing so. This is the full extent to which the commish has changed the original, already acceptable game and is not responsible for anything outside these changes. Therefore the responsibilty of any further suggestions on how to improve the league falls on the shoulders of Littlelenr.
4/29/2013 5:24 PM (edited)
8 games into the SYN season and I am about to do something that i loathe when other players do it and that is surrender...quit playing/setting the lineup. I got one of those line-ups with all DH's. I got no problems with that. It was the 6 200/k pitchers. 

No pitching available for trade it seems. All my pitchers at either zero % or right next to it.

I am going to use the "Blackmail" strategy. Tell everyone in the NL East and Central I am surrendering. I will have a 140 loss season and the wildcard is coming out of the NL West...unless someone trades me pitching soon.

Harsh I know. It is the only thing i can think of doing.

4/29/2013 6:09 PM
I will send you s o me innings. Relax.
4/29/2013 7:28 PM
thanks

4/30/2013 9:39 AM

Boogerlips - If you want to start a thread on commish responsibilities, I'll be happy to reply to that.
4/30/2013 10:13 AM
I would rather hear from Jugglosteve than boogerlips on commish duties
4/30/2013 7:02 PM
boogerlips, you won your own award for the most long-winded forum post. Congratulations ! 

Could you do that thing again where you threaten to write in all capital letters ? 

Please.
4/30/2013 7:23 PM
Posted by micki on 4/30/2013 7:02:00 PM (view original):
I would rather hear from Jugglosteve than boogerlips on commish duties
There word "pontificate" should be in there somewhere.
4/30/2013 7:48 PM
Posted by frazzman80 on 4/29/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):

Agreed...the commish is responsible for setting the rules of the league. As an owner you can ask questions which can be addressed by the commish, but it is their job to set the rules. If this is the SYN league that I saw running in the classifieds recently, I didn't play becuase there were no no PA or IP floor/cielings on the teams and I was shocked to see that. Of course I could have asked the commish if that was an oversight, but I just decided that I didn't want to play in a league like that.
That's funny, that is why I played. I like the no rules, screw away approach.
4/30/2013 7:51 PM

Well, i'm the commish in question and so now i'll jump in. I did know about the manipulation but I never learned how to use it because I dont like it and I do think it is a cheap strategy. It takes the enjoyment out of the game for me. I try to stay as "realistic" as I can with my teams. However, I'm a "live and let live" kind of person. Do what you want. I did not consider it cheating because I did not ban it, on purpose. I wanted it to be one strategy option among many and truthfully not that many teams did it. So, I was coy in the forum too, saying "hey guys, there are a lot of different strategies I see..." I wanted diversity. That's all. So the guys in my league can blame me or whatever. And everyone can pontificate (nice word). I've played WIS for over a decade now. It might be time to move on.

5/4/2013 12:54 AM

jpeterso, I hope you enjoy your League and decide to continue playing on this site.

League ad says 2 open spots remain.

Posted by jpeterso on 4/23/2013 2:59:00 AM (view original):
Description—Screw your Neighbor League, league number MLB 104772
Hey, I’m resurrecting my favorite old theme from the past. Check it out.
Tired of playing all the same guys? Do you like to actively manage your lineups? In this league, it’s all about drafting the WORST possible team with a salary cap between $76 and $78 Million (total salary cap is $80 million). After the league has filled, the teams will be RANDOMLY REDISTRIBUTED (so yeah, you’ll get someone else’s garbage and the pleasure of watching someone else get yours). You will then have the pleasure of building your team through trades only (no waiver wire). The extra $2 to $4 million is there to help make trades work so active trading is encouraged (a minimum of 8 owners can veto the trade and anyone can be traded off your team. Collusion in trading will result in a fine of 500,000 and a reduction of the automatic trade veto to 4 team owners.
Other rules: No DH, random AAA (6 hitters, 2 pitchers), No Waiver Wire, SLL only for current series. No stadium restrictions. Max IP per pitcher is 300. The main rule is to have some fun! 
Update: my free team will be given to the original drafter of the team with the worst overall record so draft well!

Quote post by jpeterso on 3/15/2013 10:12:00 PM:
oh, and i forgot to add in the description that it is restricted to players post 1920. otherwise, all the teams would be deadballers.

5/4/2013 2:29 AM
League disbanded.
5/6/2013 9:52 AM
◂ Prev 12
Opinion.. Editting URL in draft center Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.