Smokey's DDL Cafe (closed for remodeling) Topic

Posted by smokey57 on 5/5/2013 6:19:00 PM (view original):
nate, you crushed me with the Isiah T. pick...damn lost 3 already. CJ picked off both Barkley & English 1 pick before me, at least I have time to regroup after nate takes Isiah...crap! 
Smokey, I REALLY wanted King, was going to use low usage PG's, but with Gilmore being a 2pt usage and Rodman being a .5 or a 1 (if I want that 90D) then I had to pick at least one position for 4-point or 6-point usage to avoid the penalty. I figured a high FTA at a decent FT% and an ast% over 30 would offset the efg just below 50%. Plus I prefer to avoid sub-50D, might be willing to have one or two sub-50D, but to me it's all about balance, you can trade off any of the categories for others, but if you go too far down in any one area then you'll suffer. 

After King was gone the 6-point usage guys that are left (except maybe a few partial season guys) don't offer enough efg for the various tradeoffs in the other categories. Funny how pleased I was to get Zeke in this league in the 3rd round, a guy that NEVER gets drafted in the $47 or $52 draft leagues, goes to show you the impact of only having a single decade of players to choose from.
5/5/2013 6:52 PM
Most theme leagues try to get us to use different players than we normally use. But if you ban the top 25 we all just move to #26 and proceed from there. Using a "single instance" draft and banning about 40 years worth of players should scatter us pretty well. Plus with the extra minutes you can change your look and keep other owners from adjusting to your team so quickly. Could get intense...
5/5/2013 7:23 PM
What is the salary cap?
5/5/2013 11:25 PM
Posted by kdforester on 5/5/2013 11:25:00 PM (view original):
What is the salary cap?
There is none, as much salary as your 12 guys have is your team salary.
5/5/2013 11:48 PM
I have to say, the draft is going as planned, everyone either got a "superstar" or 2 "stars". Then there was enough near "stars" to cover the 3rd round. These 3 players are the core foundation of your team. I think this core is better than most RL NBA teams have to work from. Now the trick is to finish building your team with, what could best be called, "average NBA players". Remember most NBA GM's would consider this a cake walk...lol 
5/6/2013 12:48 AM
I finally caught the luck, got Tarpley's 30 minutes of 163/262 boards, good usage and desent FG% near the end of the 3rd round. I was surprised to say the least. His def66 is marginal, but the boards, FG% & usage make him a good pick at this point in the draft. Hopefully the Tarpley/Lucas pairing will make the team competative in the front court.
5/6/2013 12:28 PM
I think these two rounds will be interesting to see if people draft the remaining 2800 min guys or the 2300 min guys.
5/6/2013 12:37 PM
Personally I'm going for the talent/min. With the unlimited salery, I'll fill in the minutes later.
5/6/2013 1:12 PM
There goes Dumars 70th. Talk about late, I had him 41st on my board. I wanted to take him but I needed a forward/center at this point for Back to the Future. I was hoping I could pick him up early in the 4th round. Guess not...
5/6/2013 3:46 PM
Badja goes, Bird, Pippen and Dumars, great core group. Your perimeter defense is going to hurt other teams. Now, can you find a "C" & "PG" in the 4th & 5th rounds? There's still a good Center left, and the PG should be easier to fill. I like the team so far. GL bud!
5/6/2013 3:57 PM
Thx smoke!  I'll might be in trouble on the boards.  I don't need a PG too badly.  I'm over 53% asst now.
5/6/2013 4:01 PM
The distribution of your 53%ast is fantastic, park a +23ast% @ PG and your all set. As much as I love my ast game, I'm afraid it's the boards that are a premium in this draft. I really wanted to take Dumars to give me strong perimeter def, but was afraid the rebounders were going to dry up. I've teamed Stockton with Dumars before they vertually shut down the perimeter, but I couldn't afford the luxury. at the expense of rbs.
5/6/2013 4:32 PM
I pointed out this logic to sky yesterday. Tempo dictates # of possession which dictates shots, rebounds and TO's...nothing dictates ast & def, those you have to draft.
5/6/2013 4:41 PM
Well, this is where I could have played it a lot better. Passed on Dumars in round 3.  Thought Rivers and Moore, whom I felt were the 2 best PGs left, would have gone in the following few picks. Should have taken Dumars in late round 3 and Moore would have still been there in early round 4. So now it's Ainge rather than Dumars. Ugh. Couple that with passing on Pippen for Marques Johnson, I now have Moses, Marques, Moore and Ainge rather than Moses, Pippen, Dumars and Moore.  Oye.
5/6/2013 7:01 PM
Each pick is, "damned if you do, damned if you don't"!!! Usually I have 3-4 players I'm looking at, I know when I take 1 the others aren't coming back. It always seem I either get boards or dimes, def or usage. Seems the 80's are great wrt FG%. I have Lucas, Tarpley, Cummings & Stockton, I have my boards and a great start on dimes.Def is acceptable not great. looks like I'm going to run a low-ish flat usage profile, but I'll be fine wrt low usage penalty. Stockton is the only player I've used before...cool! 
5/6/2013 10:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...12 Next ▸
Smokey's DDL Cafe (closed for remodeling) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.