Posted by burnsy483 on 5/8/2013 5:12:00 PM (view original):
As a "for example" - would you expect this guy to be better if his pitches were rearranged differently?  Stats seem to be in line with what you'd expect if the pitches were arranged "normally."  If anything, I'd argue maybe they're a little better than expected.

whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx
Yes. Based on my experience he'd be better if his Ps were 80  71  64  49 instead of 64  80  71  49.

I would not bet a lot of money on it, but I'd factor into HBD decisions about him.
5/14/2013 10:43 PM
Posted by dunkingchunk on 5/14/2013 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Two more random questions. 
A) Let's say you're developing a SS in the minors. He projects to a 90-90-90-90 in the field, but is currently 65-65-65-65. Would playing at 3B still give him a bump in the minors? I guess my question boils down to where you all play your prospects in the field - if there's any advantage anywhere. 
B) Does a really low rating in one category steer you away from a potential player? I have a minor league catcher who projects to around 90 PC, Arm Strength, and Arm Rating + 60 contact, 30 power, and 65 vR/vL. The only thing is that his eye projects to a 5. Should this scare me off?
(B) - The one word answer is 'no'.

But it certainly matters.

None of the hitting ratings stand alone.  Someone with 100 power and very bad contact and eye will hit fewer HR than someone with power 60 and very high contact & eye.

If you think PC is very important, and your next best option at C has a low PC, you might decide to go with the 90 PC C and accept that he'll walk 5 times in 150 games.

HBD is Money Ball. Player performance is only half the issue. What you pay to get that performance is just as important.

If your 2 best options are C are 2 players with nearly identical ratings, except on of them has Eye 5 and the other Eye 50, and the one with Eye 5 makes $300K and the one with Eye 50 makes $6,000,000, the one with Eye 5 is almost certainly better for your team.

5/14/2013 10:56 PM
A) A position player's range and arm strength will develop less than glove and arm accuracy. 65-65-65-65 will probably be more like 75-85-77-88. 
B) Never let one bad number scare you away. A player can still be a big contributer with one weakness. e.g your example of a catcher - many people go for high PC - high defense catchers, and don't give a rat's *** about offense (including me). Add offense, and he would be my first round draft pick. 
5/14/2013 10:56 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.