D3, Season 66 Topic

Emory captured the first national championship in school history last night with a 74-65 victory over Greensboro. The team that could only muster the fourth-best record in the University Conference is sporting the big champagne hangover after winning it all. What's more, Emory won the title their way, outscoring Greensboro 21-2 during a seven-minute stretch of the second half to take control of the game. The run evoked memories of a similar streak Emory unleashed in the second half of its national semifinal game against Hardin-Simmons to reach the title game. Like so many opponents this season, Greensboro's uptempo offense had no answer for the riddle of Emory's defense. Phalla allowed just five of 37 opponents this season to score 70+ points against him. Two of those instances were overtime games. Senior Patrick Locher wrapped up his career with 16 points to lead the way a cutting of the nets. Emory shot 56.5% from the floor in the title contest.

With the win, Emory ties a Rupp record for most losses by the national champion with nine. Those of you eying the possibility of a repeat should know Emory graduates three players from the program, accounting for roughly 44% of the team's scoring.

The University also grabbed the PIT title this season, so both banners reside in the same league, and it isn't the GNE (which did end with the RPI by a conference). Toss a little more gasoline on the conversational fire of who Rupp's true top conference is at the moment, especially since I think the University went undefeated in head-to-head play against the GNE in the national tournament.

That'll bring the curtain down on another Rupp season. Mega-thanks for the regular season game recaps to keep the spirit of this thread alive for another year as there's no way I would have been able to do them (ditto for the seasons ahead as I'm starting online coursework toward a master's degree...because I just had too much spare time evidently...). With that, this is red, signing off...until next season.  (cue "One Shining Moment" footage...)
6/22/2013 11:51 AM
Congrats to Phalla on his National Championship!  Great job!  Now, the countdown continues to my National Championship...97 more seasons to go till I reach pay dirt.
6/22/2013 12:36 PM
The following folder contains csv files for individual and team stats for the season.  There is a also a pdf with league leaders in various categories.

skydrive.live.com/redir
6/22/2013 2:49 PM
Very cool stats bullman, appreciate you putting those together.  Even if it is a reminder of how bad my team defense was this year.
6/22/2013 3:26 PM
Thanks rednu. What you do here truly doubles the enjoyment for Rupp D3.

I think Emory has set (or at least tied) an unbreakable record- 37 games played. For a team to get to 37, they must be saddled by WIS with an 11th non-conference game, not get a bye in their CT, get to the CT championship game, and then get to the NT championship game. With the rarity of getting an 11th non-conference game and the slim chance a NT finalist didn't get a bye in their CT ... I doubt any team has played 37 games before!

As to graduating 3 seniors .... maybe not! I actually just noticed that SR PG Lane (signed as a SO transfer) was a non-qualifier his first season before transfering. Will he come back for another year?? Not sure, but I think he might!

6/22/2013 5:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9
D3, Season 66 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.