Do it like English soccer.  Poor performance gets you knocked down a level in prestige.  Repeated success gets you bumped up.
5/12/2013 9:35 AM

it may have been mentioned but i think elite status should be be worked on a certain basis (ex. every 5 seasons) rewarding coaches and teams for their success. for example of i take over Louisville and over that five year period i go BCS bowling every season and win a few NCs that team will become an elite. There could be a formula combining factors such as winning %, SOS, Average Tier of bowl played in over that period, Bowl winning %, Quality of win?, NCs, Etc. and after a set period of time, like i said 5 season, 8 seasons, 10 seasons WHATEVER, the elites list is restructured to reflect that success. If a coach can take over a team like buffalo, or  Middle Tenn. and lead them to fit the perameters of an elite over an extended period of time I see no reason they shouldn't be rewarded for that...

5/16/2013 2:29 PM
Posted by vtfan on 5/16/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):

it may have been mentioned but i think elite status should be be worked on a certain basis (ex. every 5 seasons) rewarding coaches and teams for their success. for example of i take over Louisville and over that five year period i go BCS bowling every season and win a few NCs that team will become an elite. There could be a formula combining factors such as winning %, SOS, Average Tier of bowl played in over that period, Bowl winning %, Quality of win?, NCs, Etc. and after a set period of time, like i said 5 season, 8 seasons, 10 seasons WHATEVER, the elites list is restructured to reflect that success. If a coach can take over a team like buffalo, or  Middle Tenn. and lead them to fit the perameters of an elite over an extended period of time I see no reason they shouldn't be rewarded for that...

5/17/2013 12:08 AM

X1000
5/17/2013 11:35 PM
I think it works okay now. I agree with having tougher standards to keep an Elite job.
The problem with any team being able to become "Elite", is that then the best jobs become all about geographic location relative to recruits (other factors, but that would be the main). When you have established/set Elites, it gives coaches something to work towards.

5/18/2013 11:28 AM
but as it stands most if not all of the Elites are in fertile recruiting grounds anyway! lol
5/18/2013 2:16 PM
the game should even the playing field and make any team or coach be able to increase the prestige by how they perform within the game. The artificial elite system is again trying to make this game like the real world, but if you are going to have elites why not get rid of colleges without teams or re-align conferences. You can't have it both ways. Is this a game for WIS or the paying coaches?
5/18/2013 2:36 PM
+1 I agree let teams become elites
5/19/2013 1:38 AM

See, I think 5 years is too long. I still don't think we would consider Virginia Tech elite (especially after their few down years) even though they lived at the Orange Bowl in the recent years.  If you want to do it, you can't just say after 5 years of 60 wins (or whatever number you want to do) you become elite.  Bama, Notre Dame and USC (just to state the easiest one I can think of right now) have all been down recently (Bama before Saban, Notre Dame has had ups and downs, and USC before Carroll).

If you have the 12 (I think) elites now, you keep the same number forever.  Elite doesn't matter if everyone is elite. And I think the reason they do this is because it would be hard getting a system that makes everyone happy.  How do you lose elite status? How do you gain it? Does a current elite have to be struggling for a couple years to lose that status? 

Honestly, no matter Notre Dame's record, they still get their picking of recruits (for the most part) which is the definition of elite.  The top recruit in Iowa (I just read a newspaper article on him) is the best receiver in the nation.  Has been committed to Iowa State for forever.  But Notre Dame came calling and he's taking a visit there.  Elite isn't decided in 5 years, its decided in 60.  Penn State, Florida State, Bama, Notre Dame, OU, Texas, USC, etc, have been good for forever (with a few exceptions).  The only school that has lost elite status is Army.  They were good, but then the NFL kinda cannoballed them.  

Or my last point.  If Charlie Strong gets a call from any elite program, he would look into it.  Florida, Florida State, etc, its everybodys dream to lead and play for the best.

Just my 2 cents.  However, if with 3.0 they want to change the elites to more modern times (if they create a new world) I think everyone would be ok with that.
5/19/2013 10:56 AM
I think take away the word "elite" all together.  All DIA teams start the same except the BCS/non-BCS difference.  Then do it like the other divisions.  The winningest programs (in that world) get a little easier recruiting due to higher "prestige".  

Look at all the worlds DIII, DII, and DIAA there are some schools that seem to always be in the top 15 in wins, CC, etc.  But there are several schools that are really good in just one or two worlds.  That is what I would like to see.  Notre Dame, Penn State, etc top 15 schools in most worlds but the occasional Vandy or Rutgers being able to be an "elite" school in certain worlds.  As it is now you know the elites and every other school is at a built in disadvantage against those schools.
5/19/2013 1:01 PM
I like the idea of elites mirroring real life elites. Success in GD already leads to an advantage - better vision.

My point was that the GD elites aren't truly representative of real life CFB teams.
5/19/2013 10:14 PM
First the GD elites definitely don't represent real life elites

I think all of this falls under the category of neglect where the GD developers (take that GD anyway you want) are hesitant to update anything and would prefer to take as much money as possible without giving anything back
5/27/2013 9:37 PM
if you look at all the elites they are the cream of the crop in college football history. an to the ppl who think tennessee isnt an elite they have won more game than anyother team since 1926. that makes you elite. if you go back 10 yrs bama sucked,lsu was trying to find its legs. nabraska had a coach named calllahan and where struggling in the big 12. but no matter how bad one of these teams are today they will be great in the future. like the vols will be back very soon thanks th cbj.
5/28/2013 2:35 PM
Just a thought that could be a good idea, or a very horrible one. I'm just gonna throw it out there and see what everyone thinks.

I agree that elite status should change, and I agree that it should be more like HD with prestige. In recent history we've seen a lot of reallignment going on in the real world. The top conferences are always going to have almost all the elite schools in the real world. I think it would be kinda cool if a school from a non-elite conference was able to maintain an elite status over a given number of seasons (10, 20, maybe more) then that school would be offered a spot in an elite conference. A good example would be in the Bryant world. Indiana has been historically bad winning 197 total games in 90 seasons. There are a few non-elite conference schools that have had a lot of success (Northern Illinois, Ohio, etc.). If one of those schools meets the requirements to be considered elite, and maintains an elite status long enough, then they get switched with Indiana.

I know there's a lot of other details that would have to get worked out to make this work, and that's if people would like this idea. I just thought it sounded like it might be a neat idea.
5/31/2013 11:26 AM
I am not convinced that being an elite has that much advantage.  I think the advantage may be in everyone' s head.  For example, the majority of coaches think that elites have an advantage in recruiting.  Therefore, they avoid battles with said elite.  When multiple coaches do that, it leaves the elite coach with more money for other battles. 

I don't have a lot of evidence to back this up.  I did battle an elite for a DB when I was coaching at Louisville.  We both spent over 100k and the player was approximately the same distance from both of us (Cincinnati area: he was OHST and I was Louisville).  I moved ahead and signed the guy by spending 1 campus visit.  He later posted how much money he had spent on the guy and I had spent less than $500 more than him.  Alone, it isn't enough to disprove the elite advantage.  However, it (among some other things) has led me to believe that the "real" elite advantage is in our heads and not in the mathematics of the game.
6/1/2013 5:14 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.