Getting Recruits to Consider Your School Topic

I do at both levels.   If a guy is a stud and no one else like him, I'll do everything I can to get him.  

I spent 5k on a  guy last recruiting period in d3 Knight to take him off a D2 team that was a little over extended.  
2/7/2014 10:45 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 2/7/2014 10:25:00 AM (view original):
At D3, and to an extent D2, I almost never battle for a recruit. It costs WAY too much at D3.
While I agree you should be cautious about battling at lower levels, you're really missing out if you almost always back away from a contested player.  The key is being able to fill your other spots for cheap to fund the battle.  It's not uncommon for me to spend 10k+ at D3 on a star player and sign a couple decent FR with 110s to fill the class.

Not that it's always a good idea to do that, but being *able* to do it is huge imo.

2/7/2014 10:52 AM
Posted by spasticity on 2/7/2014 10:52:00 AM (view original):
At D3, and to an extent D2, I almost never battle for a recruit. It costs WAY too much at D3.
While I agree you should be cautious about battling at lower levels, you're really missing out if you almost always back away from a contested player.  The key is being able to fill your other spots for cheap to fund the battle.  It's not uncommon for me to spend 10k+ at D3 on a star player and sign a couple decent FR with 110s to fill the class.

Not that it's always a good idea to do that, but being *able* to do it is huge imo.

You can be a strong team w/o battling at d3, but you have to fight for the top players to get over the hump of good to great.      
2/7/2014 11:11 AM
To be honest, after my first couple months on WIS, I haven't spent much time at D3. I just recently decided to try to keep a team at all 3 levels, so I've been researching how best to approach D3 recruiting. As for battling, I'm MUCH more likely to "go to war" for a recruit at D2 than at D3. One of the reasons is probably that when I first started playing, I tried to battle a couple of times, and got burnt pretty badly.
2/7/2014 7:18 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/2/2014 10:47:00 AM (view original):
They stack but the issue will phone calls and packet is they don't have "recruiting value".   Think of it this way, your effort equates to some sort of numerical value. 

The value chart is something like this:

Phone call= 2
Letters =3
ST= 50
HV= 150
CV= 400
Scholarship= 250
Promised Start= 350
Promised minutes= 10 * minutes promised

Those aren't right but they are in the ball park.   You have to accumulate so many points before a recruit considers you.  It's probably somewhere around 530 using those values.
Bump.
4/14/2014 4:20 PM
This is another in a series of infrequent reminders to use a feature of the forum that is ACTUALLY GOOD.  Click the star above the first post, on the right side of the page.  That will save a thread to your My Forums tab, which is located in the greyed-out-so-your-eyes-freaking-skip-it area above the thread title.

BOOM.  Never need to search for that thread again.

4/14/2014 4:34 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/14/2014 4:36:00 PM (view original):
This is another in a series of infrequent reminders to use a feature of the forum that is ACTUALLY GOOD.  Click the star above the first post, on the right side of the page.  That will save a thread to your My Forums tab, which is located in the greyed-out-so-your-eyes-freaking-skip-it area above the thread title.

You are limited to a maximum of 10 favorite posts for My Forums (once you've tagged the 10th post, the blue star disappears on all new posts until you remove the tag by clicking on the yellow star on one of your 10 favorite posts).
4/14/2014 5:16 PM
Well then, that's BAD.
4/14/2014 5:19 PM
Posted by artie40 on 2/7/2014 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by spasticity on 2/7/2014 10:52:00 AM (view original):

You can be a strong team w/o battling at d3, but you have to fight for the top players to get over the hump of good to great.      
Really well-put. I usually tell new coaches to never battle for players, because newbies have a tough time telling the difference between an elite difference-maker and someone who's really good but not all that unique. For more experienced coaches, though, on the rare occasions where you find someone who's really elite, especially if they're close geographically, you've gotta be willing to fight hard for them.
4/14/2014 5:45 PM
Based on this I've sent 690 points and still no consideration
4/14/2014 6:03 PM
1. The 690 is compared to other teams effort. If the other team has 1690, you won't get considered. If there is no other suitors, 550ish usually works.

2. I update this a couple times a year. I am always tweaking the #s
4/14/2014 7:27 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 4/14/2014 5:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 4/14/2014 4:36:00 PM (view original):

You are limited to a maximum of 10 favorite posts for My Forums (once you've tagged the 10th post, the blue star disappears on all new posts until you remove the tag by clicking on the yellow star on one of your 10 favorite posts).
you can still just open a thread and bookmark it in your browser though
4/14/2014 8:49 PM
Thanks TJ for bumping this!
4/14/2014 10:26 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/7/2014 10:45:00 AM (view original):
I do at both levels.   If a guy is a stud and no one else like him, I'll do everything I can to get him.  

I spent 5k on a  guy last recruiting period in d3 Knight to take him off a D2 team that was a little over extended.  
I agree with this alot, I got into a battle and 5k was the amount it took to take him away, and then the strategy guide to how I could spend 5k on one recruit, I was able to sweep up 3 other recruits for under 1k. I had a total of 6 freshman trying to rebuild and only 2 of them went over 3k and my email said i had the 38th best class in d3 in a complete rebuild. Not too shabby I may say.
4/15/2014 3:27 PM
There is also a point where the "considering threshold" starts to slide down.

I thought it was after signings but I just got a recruit to consider me with only 2 HV's (no scholarship) on day 3, before signings.     On day 1 I often have recruits need 3 HV + a scholarship.  
4/21/2014 1:40 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Getting Recruits to Consider Your School Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.