Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

I'M STUNNED THAT I GET 5 FEET OF SNOW SOMETIMES IN JANUARY!!!!!!!!

5/21/2013 11:30 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 5/21/2013 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Not to sound heartless, but
You live in tornado alley, you expect tornadoes.
You live in a flood plain, you expect floods.
You live on a fault line, you expect earthquakes.

Am I wrong?
You may be right, but you certainly sound heartless.

Regardless if you "expect" a tornado, losing your house, all your belongings, and in many cases a family member, even a child, is among the worst things that can happen to a human being.

Pointing out that people live in dangerous areas in the aftermath of a devastating catastrophe makes you look like a real *******.

And I like you, diah. That was just really callous and uncalled for.

Imagine a terrible blizzard that collapses the roof of your family home and kills someone in your family. What would you say to someone who told you you should have "expected" that blizzard.

5/21/2013 11:44 AM
In the context of giving a donation, which is the subject, people are up in arms because a rich guy didn't give enough.

IMO, there are things that happen that are worthy charities, and in my head, this isn't one. Neither would giving me money because I live in the snow belt.

Terrible loss of life, families devistated, wouldn't wish that on anyone, and the stories are sad. That is separate from give your money to that. 

There are two things that exist in this world; insurance, and government disaster funds (which, I think is called FEMA down there).

If that makes me look and appear like an *******, then I am one. I certainly would not take away your right to give people money you deem worthy to give, but I would love to see that money go towards the long list of worthwhile causes that have 0 back up other than public donation.
5/21/2013 12:10 PM
death, it came across as heartless.  But I understand your point.

I'd be curious to see where this money goes to, specifically.  If FEMA and insurance are supposed to cover everything, where does money to the Red Cross, etc, go to?
5/21/2013 12:13 PM
Well, sorry about that, but it is what it is. I'm sure some karmic thing will come along and even it all out.
5/21/2013 12:21 PM
Yes, death, you sound like a jerk.    To wit, we know America is a terrorist target.  So, by your reasoning, we should not gather in large crowds because that makes for a great target.   Therefore, the Boston bombing is the injured/dead people's fault.

The problem with government/insurance funds is the distribution.   Sadly, the Red Cross gets people the essentials faster than FEMA.  And FEMA gets it faster than insurance.   Nature of the beast.
5/21/2013 12:24 PM
And there are things that FEMA and insurance don't cover.
5/21/2013 12:27 PM
That being said, I get your overall point, you're just making it in about the least presentable way possible, so, well done.
5/21/2013 12:28 PM
Yeah, I think that's the case also.    He could have saved some time and just said "TGWTD".
5/21/2013 12:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Yes, death, you sound like a jerk.    To wit, we know America is a terrorist target.  So, by your reasoning, we should not gather in large crowds because that makes for a great target.   Therefore, the Boston bombing is the injured/dead people's fault.

The problem with government/insurance funds is the distribution.   Sadly, the Red Cross gets people the essentials faster than FEMA.  And FEMA gets it faster than insurance.   Nature of the beast.

Nowhere did I say that it was people's fault, but I didn't donate to that either, if that is the question.

And if insurance doesn't get it out there first, then your industry is broken. They should be first in, ESPECIALLY during high profile disasters.

5/21/2013 12:39 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 5/21/2013 12:28:00 PM (view original):
That being said, I get your overall point, you're just making it in about the least presentable way possible, so, well done.
That is probably fact, but not a first.
5/21/2013 12:40 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 5/21/2013 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/21/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):

Nowhere did I say that it was people's fault, but I didn't donate to that either, if that is the question.

And if insurance doesn't get it out there first, then your industry is broken. They should be first in, ESPECIALLY during high profile disasters.

I don't think you're talking about this the same way - the stuff that insurance covers isn't the stuff you need in first in a disaster scenario...
5/21/2013 12:44 PM
Not true, and I'm speaking Canadian here, but I work in the industry.

Disaster happens, you fly your claims team out there with your logo.

Find shelter, because that is covered (additional living expenses). Start with basic necessities - clothing (covered), food (covered).

Then start debris cleanup (covered), and work out negotiations for an en masse rebuild of the neighbourhoods, usually in conjunction with other companies (to get scale in your pricing).

Slave Lake, Quebec ice storm, Hurricane Irene....all follow the same model.

i admit to ignorance about what may be specific to your policies down there, but I can't see it being much different except for being a touch pricey in the high risk areas.
5/21/2013 12:49 PM
Yeah, food, water, shelter.    Insurance comes in later to replace the stuff you lost. 
5/21/2013 12:50 PM

How does a home insurance policy protect you?

• Structures. Your homeowner’s policy covers the financial damages to your home caused by accidental or weather-related damage to both your home and other structures on your property, such as garages and outbuildings. Additionally, home insurance will provide you financial compensation if you cannot live in your home due to the damage.
  • Personal Property. All the belongings and furniture that fill your home counts as personal property, and if they are stolen or damaged your home insurance policy will replace them.
  • Liability. If someone is injured in your home, you can be found liable for the medical expenses. The liability portion of your homeowner’s insurance policy protects you from this financial liability.

That's from the largest homeowners quote portal in the US. I'd say there's probably teams already there...or they should be.
5/21/2013 12:54 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...9 Next ▸
Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.