Couple of HOF voting improvment ideas Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I would like it if it listed by certain stats where the person ranked all time in that category.
5/26/2013 2:09 PM
I've posted this on here a few times, I think the way to fix the problem with people not voting for Hall of Fame can be resolved by awarding automatic "votes"

The numbers are obviously not set in stone (and only barely thought out) but I would go with something like:
.25 votes for GG/SS/All-Star Appearance/Pitcher or Player of week
.5 votes for Rookie of the year, fireman of the year
1 vote for mvp

So, if you had a guy with 3 MVP's/7 all-star seasons/A player of the week/5 silver sluggers/3 gold gloves (an obvious HOF'er) would start the process with 7 votes. Thereby greatly reducing the amount of votes and people needed to induct someone into the hall.

Just my thoughts.
5/28/2013 1:52 PM
I also like the idea of moving the HOF voting to the end of the season. I don't think owners new to the world do (and it could be argued shouldn't) vote for HOF because they have yet to actually even be a member of the world. If you have 3-5 new owners who don't vote you are making it that much harder to get a player into the hall.
5/28/2013 1:54 PM

New owners are busy leaning the ways of the world and building their team.   They have little to no connection to said world and the HOF voting is probably number 15 on their top 10 list of things to do.    Extend the voting(I'd say A/S break because eveyone is still "engaged" then whereas they may not be at season's end), change the format to a more sortable screen(even the nomination screen would work) and make election based on a percentage of votes cast(if 10 owners vote and a player gets 7 votes, he's in). 

5/29/2013 9:45 AM
"make election based on a percentage of votes cast(if 10 owners vote and a player gets 7 votes, he's in)."

This is the solution that would solve most problems people have with the HOF voting.  And it should be easy to implement. The only addition I'd have is that at least half the world should vote.

Also - have the position listed be the position the player played the most.  Not the 1B he played when he was 39 and didn't have the range he once had as a gold-glove CF.

I'd also be cool with extending the voting to the All-Star break.  In fact, I'd probably remove it from the preseason all together, and have voting start Day 1 of the regular season.
5/29/2013 9:58 AM
Posted by tmantom3285 on 5/28/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):
I've posted this on here a few times, I think the way to fix the problem with people not voting for Hall of Fame can be resolved by awarding automatic "votes"

The numbers are obviously not set in stone (and only barely thought out) but I would go with something like:
.25 votes for GG/SS/All-Star Appearance/Pitcher or Player of week
.5 votes for Rookie of the year, fireman of the year
1 vote for mvp

So, if you had a guy with 3 MVP's/7 all-star seasons/A player of the week/5 silver sluggers/3 gold gloves (an obvious HOF'er) would start the process with 7 votes. Thereby greatly reducing the amount of votes and people needed to induct someone into the hall.

Just my thoughts.
I've thought about this in the past, and it seems like a decent enough idea. However, it does have some flaws. Namely, I've seen many deserving players get left off the All-Star teams and the MVP and ROY ballots either because they play for a last place team, or because their defensive stats are slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY subpar (slightly, as in, a 1B with 3 minus plays and 2 errors gets snubbed in favor a 1B with 2 minus plays and 1 error, despite the first player having a BA 25 points higher with 7 more homers and 20 more RBIs).

For example, in Clemente, one of our all time great players is Desi Melo. At the time of his retirement, he was the all time hits leader, the only player to reach 3,000 hits (he's still one of only 3 players to do it), the all-time RBI leader (still in the top 5), all-time leader in runs scored, stole nearly 300 bases, and he hit nearly 500 home runs. However, for reasons I'll never understand, Melo had never made a single All-Star team. Not once, in his entire major league career. He won an MVP award, and a Rookie of the Year, and 3 Silver Sluggers. But that's it. 5 awards ever, for one of the all-time greats. And he was a solid, above average defensive left fielder for the early part of his career, who transitioned to be a very good 1B later on. In fact, the only are where he played really poorly was in 90 career games as a RF.

If you have a formula-based voting system, a guy like that might not get into the HoF. If they can fix the All-Star voting first, as well as the criteria for getting on the MVP and ROY ballots, then this idea becomes a lot better.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Desi Melo
5/29/2013 12:38 PM

1)  Keep the voting process basically the way it is.  Allow for a new option: "Nobody", to distinguish between owners who have not bothered to vote, and those who feel that nobody is worthy of election.  This would be the equivalent of a BBWAA member mailing in a blank ballot.

2)  Let SIMMY vote in place of those owners that do not cast ballots, much like how the MVP/CY/ROY awards work now.

3)  Show who will be elected if SIMMY was voting in place of all all 32 owners.

4)  Allow for owners to "veto" SIMMY's choices, if they feel that SIMMY is electing somebody not worthy.  As with trades, 10 vetoes of a SIMMY electee knocks him out.

5)  Remove the restriction of only five votes per owner.  In many worlds, there may be more than five worthy candidates on the ballot, but votes get split among the candadates and often times worthy guys are just falling short, thus propagating a vicious cycle from season to season.

5/29/2013 12:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/29/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):

1)  Keep the voting process basically the way it is.  Allow for a new option: "Nobody", to distinguish between owners who have not bothered to vote, and those who feel that nobody is worthy of election.  This would be the equivalent of a BBWAA member mailing in a blank ballot.

2)  Let SIMMY vote in place of those owners that do not cast ballots, much like how the MVP/CY/ROY awards work now.

4)  Allow for owners to "veto" SIMMY's choices, if they feel that SIMMY is electing somebody not worthy.  As with trades, 10 vetoes of a SIMMY electee knocks him out.

5)  Remove the restriction of only five votes per owner.  In many worlds, there may be more than five worthy candidates on the ballot, but votes get split among the candadates and often times worthy guys are just falling short, thus propagating a vicious cycle from season to season.

+1

Especially #5. Seems like a common occurrence in mature worlds to have ~10 worthy guys on the ballot and only the absolute legends of the game are able to get elected.
5/29/2013 1:39 PM
#5 has been happening at one particular position in Riley because the candidates are repeatedly splitting the vote.

5/29/2013 2:39 PM
also, if a player doesn't get a vote for 3 straight seasons, or less than 6 votes in 5 years he gets removed from the list.  The list is too long. 
6/18/2013 7:57 AM
Posted by overeasy on 5/29/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 5/29/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):

+1

Especially #5. Seems like a common occurrence in mature worlds to have ~10 worthy guys on the ballot and only the absolute legends of the game are able to get elected.
The world I commish recently had 28 people vote for the Hall of Fame and we were able to get three elected and two guys fell two votes shy.  We probably had at least 10 worthy HOFers on this season's ballot. The restriction on only 5 votes is the biggest impediment to getting these guys elected.
6/18/2013 1:06 PM

Position of the player needs to be listed as his most played position.  Most Players are listed as 1B or DH since that is how they ended their career but played most of there career at another postion.  Fo ex we have a guy listed as a 1B on the HOF voting page who played 112 games at 1B and well over 1,000 games at 2B.

I also think voting should be expanded from 5 to maybe 10.

and the percentage should be of those who voted as long as half the league votes.  You can't expect new owners to vote on HOF as they have no knowledge of the league yet.

7/31/2013 12:18 PM
Hey WiS, your customer base wants a change made to the product.  Are you listening?
8/1/2013 1:07 AM
Posted by shobob on 8/1/2013 1:07:00 AM (view original):
Hey WiS, your customer base wants a change made to the product.  Are you listening?

Hey Wis, your customer base wants a change made to the product. Are you listening?
8/1/2013 11:44 AM (edited)
12 Next ▸
Couple of HOF voting improvment ideas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.