All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > The Fundamental Design Flaw in 3.0
7/3/2013 2:58 PM
Posted by bjaygee on 7/3/2013 10:26:00 AM (view original):
The real problem, as evident by the posts, is that there are two contingents of GD players who want different games. 

In one, the player who was a better recruiter and game planner would win 100% of the time unless playing a similarly talented team and derailed by a very small number of random events - penalties, interceptions, etc.  In the other, a player whose team is not as talented and does not game plan effectively still has an opportunity to win because of random, artificially introduced factors intended to level the playing field.  No one game can be both.
I'm all for option #1.  Same with all the coaches that left when 2.0 rolled out.  The "everybody gets a trophy" crowd isn't that big or 2.0 would be filled like 1.0.
7/3/2013 7:31 PM
I guess two contingents is, in fact, the problem. I have never had the visceral reaction against V2 that others seem to have. I have had some success (one NC at Div I-AA level and some CCs) but I haven't had great success. I feel like that's about right for me. I don't know that I've ever learned to recruit all that well (or others invest more time than I do), but I've done well taking over teams that were already set up and realizing that potential. Sure, there have been some upsets, and maybe my NC run even enjoyed the benefit of a few upsets, but do we really want to play a game where you can predict with certainty the result before you play? Then what would be the point? Upsets happen in real life, but if you do a better job recruiting and get better players, you'll win - unless you really screw up coaching. Similarly, in this game, if you recruit well and get better players, you'll win much more than you'll lose - unless you can't game plan at all.
7/3/2013 7:42 PM
With respect to Oriole_Fan's description of the goal of adding more color to the play-by-play:

Weirdly, I don't enjoy reading the V3 play-by-play even though there's "more" information. I'm not sure the additional information is all that helpful (and, of course, sometimes it is nonsensical as well). But it's just not as easy to read. Also, I think the less descriptive (V2) play-by-play is more realistic (if you've ever seen actual play-by-play stats from actual football games). I would say that the V2 play-by-play more closely resembles the Hoops Dynasty play-by-play, which I have always believed was very good. When a basketball player drives for a layup, the play-by-play does not say which defensive player he drove past, and honestly, I never care.
7/3/2013 9:16 PM
I believe the current PBP has some additional stuff in there for the beta, but I could be wrong about that.

of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > The Fundamental Design Flaw in 3.0

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.