D3, Season 67 Topic

Last Night
#5 North Carolina Wesleyan 51   #12 South Vermont 64
The GotN #1 team jinx claims a second straight victim!  South Vermont opened up a big lead in the first half with the margin at the break standing at 12 points.  NCWes were able to finally cut the lead to 4 with just over six minutes left in the game but South Vermont ran away again, scoring 9 unanswered to put the game out of reach.  South Vermont and funngun had two starters with 20+ points, led by Richard Majors with 26.  With the upset win, they stay undefeated and move up to #12 in the rankings.  NCWes and nastynick are dealt their first loss of the season and slip down four spots in the rankings.  Meanwhile, the GotN jinx sits in the corner, chuckling and happily thinking about its next victim.

Also considered: #19 Johnson and Wales knocked #10 Texas Lutheran down to the bottom of the top ten with a 93-86 victory, #8 Louisiana handled #17 Newbury 63-50, #2 Wisconsin Superior rebounded with a 87-77 win over Austin, #6 Hamline got by Buena Vista 84-76, and #20 Emory stayed undefeated with a 62-52 home win over Piedmont.

Sim blowout watch: Wisconsin Lutheran easily covered against #22 Occidental 56-72 as did SUNY Potsdam in a 59-72 road loss at #16 St. Mary's.

GotN
#14 Calvin (6-0)(prc56) at #7 Hardin-Simmons (5-1)(sublightd)
The GotN #1 team jinx monster gets a night off since we have four very good battles between ranked teams to choose from tonight.  It was close, but I'm going with this tasty matchup with Calvin going on the road to defend their undefeated record at the higher ranked Hardin-Simmons.  Calvin is looking for their first win over a ranked team while Hardin-Simmons' only loss was to a solid Piedmont squad.  sublightd holds a big advantage in games between these two coaches at 7-1 but the oddsmakers have this game listed as a pick, should be a great game.

Also considered: #2 Wisconsin Superior at #23 Susquehanna, #4 Trinity at #5 North Carolina Wesleyan, #24 Southwestern at #13 Shenandoah, and new #1 Ursinus at E. Oregon

Sim blowout watch: Pittsburgh Bradford is a 42 point home dog against #16 St. Mary's while Bridgewater is getting 31 points as they host #6 Hamline.
7/9/2013 2:47 PM
Last Night
#25 Calvin 63   #3 Hardin-Simmons 83
Most of the first half last night was back-and-forth with both teams having leads, until Hardin-Simmons pulled away a little near the end to go into the locker room with a 7 point lead.  Later, Calvin was able to pull back within 3 around the thirteen minute mark but then Hardin-Simmons punched the gas and never looked back.  They outscored Calvin 36-19 the rest of the way and cruised to a comfortable 20 point victory.  Hardin-Simmons and sublightd had four players in double figures and moved up into the top three in the rankings after the impressive win.  Calvin and prc suffer their first loss and slip to #25.

Also considered: #15 Susquehanna got a big home win over #9 Wisconsin Superior 59-51, #2 Trinity stayed undefeated by downing #11 North Carolina Wesleyan 75-67, #19 Southwestern edged #21 Shenandoah in the last few seconds 63-60, and #1 Ursinus defended the top ranking with a 75-60 victory over E. Oregon.

Sim blowout watch: Oh so very close.  Pittsburgh Bradford surrendered a runner in the paint with just three seconds left in the game to fall to #20 St. Mary's 62-64.  Needless to say, they covered.  On the other end of the scale, we had our first official Sim Blowout victim last night as Bridgewater failed to cover and lost to #6 Hamline 55-103.  Oh so not very close at all.

GotN
#24 Whittier (5-2)(windixies) at #5 Texas Lutheran (6-1)(blapo21)
Whittier continues their road-heavy schedule with a visit to top five ranked Texas Lutheran.  blapo holds a 3-0 advantage in games between these two coaches and the home team is favored by 3 tonight.

Also considered: #10 Rivier at #11 North Carolina Wesleyan, #2 Trinity at Austin, #3 Hardin-Simmons at Eureka, and #12 S. Vermont at Piedmont

Sim blowout watch: Wisconsin Lutheran is getting a huge 70 points as they host undefeated #18 Chapman and Middlebury is a 57 point home dog against also-undefeated #22 Occidental.
7/10/2013 12:32 PM
Yikes!...Webster preseason ranked #8 and now has an RPI of 174. Not good!  It's looking like they will have to win the CT to get in to the NT.  Which brings up a good question...after the CT, Webster's overall average will be pushing 630.  Could this be one of the highest rated teams ever to not make the NT?  Not a record I would want to hold.
7/11/2013 10:40 AM
Last Night
Whittier 66   #4 Texas Lutheran 86
The final score is very deceiving for this game, Whittier was only down 66-62 with 6:27 left in the game.  Unfortunately for Whittier, scoring 4 points in the last six and half minutes of a game is usually not a good idea.  It's an even worse idea when the other team scores 20.  Texas Lutheran and blapo were led by 23 points from Keith Flor and move up one spot in the rankings after the win while Whittier and windixies fall back into the others receiving votes section.

Also considered: #9 Rivier downed #20 North Carolina Wesleyan 73-63, #3 Trinity needed a game-winning bucket with three seconds left to get past Austin 72-70, #2 Hardin-Simmons held off Eureka 88-84, and #17 Piedmont got back into the rankings with a 73-63 victory over #19 S. Vermont.

Sim blowout watch: Wisconsin Lutheran easily covered the huge spread against #24 Chapman 65-82 while Middleburry did the same hosting Occidental 63-71.

GotN
#18 Emory (8-0)(phalla) at #1 Ursinus (8-0)(barjaz)
Tonight we have our undefeated defending national champion visiting our undefeated top ranked team, pretty much a no-brainer choice for the featured game.  barjaz won the only previous meeting between these two and his Ursinus team is favored by 7 points at home.  Should be a great battle.

Also considered: #15 Newbury at #21 Oglethorpe, #16 Shenandoah at #25 Lynchburg, Emmanuel at #4 Texas Lutheran, and #11 Susquehanna at Wentworth Tech

Sim blowout watch: Our friends at St. John Fisher make another appearance, getting 48 points while they host #22 St. Mary's and Hartwick is a 37 point road dog at #8 Wisconsin Superior.
7/11/2013 11:52 AM
Emory got the homecourt cookin' to eek out a win over Wooster. We won't get the same treatment at Ursinus tonight.
7/11/2013 1:54 PM
Let's be honest, if you can take down 148 RPI-having Wooster you should have absolutely no problem with this Ursinus squad.  Too easy.
7/11/2013 3:30 PM
FYI, I tweaked the formula I use to include IQ and have updated my rankings for this season.

skydrive.live.com/
7/11/2013 8:49 PM
bullman, anyway you can tweak your formula to make Wooster be ranked #1?  Throw me a bone here...
7/11/2013 11:39 PM
That could probably be done, but I am not sure it would help my credibility a whole lot
7/12/2013 9:38 AM
HEY my former team and team i hopefully will have next year, gordon, is #213! thats the highest we've been ranked by anybody all year exept for sos!
 WERE # 213, WERE # 213!
no i am NOT being sarcastic
7/12/2013 11:01 AM
Posted by bullman17 on 7/11/2013 8:49:00 PM (view original):
FYI, I tweaked the formula I use to include IQ and have updated my rankings for this season.

skydrive.live.com/
Awesome, thanks for the work you put into this!  Interesting that adding IQ pushes Emmanuel above J&W for your top spot in the GNE.
7/12/2013 11:31 AM
Last Night
Emory 52   #1 Ursinus 68
Ursinus went into halftime with a 5 point lead and were able to quickly build on that lead after the break.  They pushed the margin to double figures and kept up the pressure to cruise to an impressive 16 point win.  Ursinus and barjaz had three starters in double figures and sucessfully defend their top ranking while Emory and phalla slide down into the others receiving votes section.

Also considered: #16 Oglethorpe got some clutch baskets in the last minute to edge out #23 Newbury 59-57, #19 Lynchburg also gutted out a close one over #25 Shenandoah 65-63, #4 Texas Lutheran got past Emmanuel 75-66, and #9 Susquehanna handled Wentworth Tech 68-68.

Sim blowout watch: St. John Fisher only lost by 16 against #24 St. Mary's 56-72 and Hartwick just covered at #7 Wisconsin Superior 53-81.

GotN
#4 Texas Lutheran (8-1)(blapo21) at #7 Wisconsin Superior (7-2)(thbro)
This should be a solid top ten battle as the Bulldogs of Texas Lutheran visit the Yellow-Jackets of Wisconsin Superior.  I got the idea this morning to look up the mascots for the teams and include them in the GotN write up, and wouldn't you know we start off with a couple kinda boring mascots.  I guess not everyone can be Fighting Scots or spider monkeys.  Anyway, the odds-makers have this game as a dead-even pick'em so we might be in for a close finish.  I'm going to pick Texas Lutheran because I've never heard of any bulldogs that were allergic to bee stings.

Also considered: #23 Newbury at #17 Piedmont, Emory at #2 Hardin-Simmons, and #13 Rivier at Wisconsin Oshkosh

Sim blowout watch: D'Youville is getting a D'solid 56 D'points while hosting #3 D'Trinity and Waynesburg is a 44 point home dog against #20 Occidental.  Party on Garth.
7/12/2013 12:11 PM
Spas -- I tweaked other areas as well, so it is probably not IQ that is making the difference unless you have players with low IQ ratings. 

I am using IQ as a pretty large factor in the rating (about 6% each if I remember correctly), but in most cases I don't think it will affect the overall rating of a team much because most teams have similar IQ's distributed throughout their roster.  It will make the most difference for teams changing their offense or defense, or with a larger than normal number of freshmen or first year transfers that are low IQ in the offense/defense that the team runs.
7/12/2013 3:21 PM
Last Night
#7 Texas Lutheran 69   #6 Wisconsin Superior 79
Well, apparently bulldogs can be allergic to bee stings, I stand corrected.  Wisconsin Superior moved into the lead about four minutes into the first half and then never looked back.  They forced 36 fouls on Texas Lutheran players and made 32 free throws while shooting almost 50% from the floor.  That adds up to an impressive 10 point home victory that assures WS and thbro a top ten ranking at the end of the non-conference season.  Texas Lutheran and blapo suffer their second defeat off the season and slip down three spots in the rankings.

Also considered: #11 Piedmont handled Newbury 76-54, #2 Hardin-Simmons got past Emory 76-66, and Wisconsin Oshkosh upset #21 Rivier 65-54.

Sim blowout watch: D'Youville got oh so close to a major upset by only losing by 5 to #4 Trinity 82-87 while Waynesburg at least made it respectable falling to #24 Occidental 64-82.

Tonight is the pre-conference schedule break for most teams, GotN will be back tomorrow.
7/13/2013 9:28 AM
GotN
#11 Piedmont (8-2)(bunkerbuster) at Shenandoah (7-3)(zagman73)
We start off the conference season with a USA South battle as the Piedmont Lions travel to defend their near top ten ranking against the Hornets of Shenandoah.  I'm clearly not an expert on bee sting allergies so I'll hold off on making a prediction, you might say I was "stung" last time I tried to do that.  Or you might not.  Anyway, this should be the first of many great battles this season in the USA South West division since they currently have three ranked teams and all six are 100 or below in RPI.

Also considered: Millsaps at #3 Ozarks, Centre at #10 Rhodes, North Carolina Wesleyan at #12 Oglethorpe, and Newbury at #13 S. Vermont

Sim blowout watch: In what might be an all-time high for the blowout watch, Sul Ross State is getting a mighty hefty 91 points as they host #2 Hardin-Simmons and two teams are getting 58 points: Gettysburg at #1 Ursinus and Chestnut Hill hosting #19 St. Mary's.
7/14/2013 9:44 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸
D3, Season 67 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.