ODL Predictions Topic

Full previews for the East updated.
7/8/2013 7:56 AM
Nate, I suspect that the stat profile on this team is not very different than on BTF/DDL or JFG/2012-13 teams. Note their position in their respective leagues. It 's always entertaining to hear the opinion of those who think there is only 1 way to play the game.
7/8/2013 11:54 AM
Posted by smokey57 on 7/8/2013 11:54:00 AM (view original):
Nate, I suspect that the stat profile on this team is not very different than on BTF/DDL or JFG/2012-13 teams. Note their position in their respective leagues. It 's always entertaining to hear the opinion of those who think there is only 1 way to play the game.
Smokey, it's VERY clear that you had a specific strategy and gave it a shot for this league. There is no doubt that you know exactly what you are doing, I don't question whether or not you understand the game, because I can see that you do. IMO playing the game that way does not work in the ODL because of the pool of players you have to compete against, I may be wrong and as I just posted in the evals on page 1 you have the perfect chance to prove me wrong with your squad, it will be fun to watch and I'm glad to see someone test a different theory about what works in the sim, just in this case I don't think it will work.
7/8/2013 12:12 PM
Smokey, the DDL had a serious lack of three's in season 1 and will continue to do so in the 1970's season 2 version, IMO it's a much different game than a league like the ODL.
7/8/2013 12:14 PM
BTW, previews for both conferences are now completed and updated on page 1.
7/8/2013 12:15 PM
if my opponents intend to continue to go all Mark Price/Steve Nash on me 50-40-80 you may want to revise the Midwest

otherwise very cool - thank you for doing all that work
7/8/2013 12:23 PM
And the 12-13 has a lack of D, assists and boards, making it unlike anything even close to it in the sim. In the 12-13 the disadvantage on the boards is not that bad, because the league in RL only had 42 boards a game and we get 50 from the sim, heck look at the boards I'm getting from Westbrook there. Props to you for having a wining strategy in the DDL and 12-13, it's just that IMO the optimal strategy in a league like the ODL or the DH$52 HAS to be different because the pool of players contains a majority of the greatest individual seasons of all-time in RL, thus those leagues are extremely unique when compared to a progressive or limited player pool draft league.
7/8/2013 12:27 PM
Posted by felonius on 7/8/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
if my opponents intend to continue to go all Mark Price/Steve Nash on me 50-40-80 you may want to revise the Midwest

otherwise very cool - thank you for doing all that work
Thanks and no problem. Had to make up for dropping the ball on the draft evals with Vance. I've come to the realization that the in-game-running draft evals are Vance's cup of tea and I can't hang with him on those, but my best work is done post-draft when I can actually see the data and try to figure out how it all fits together.
7/8/2013 12:30 PM
felon, we have all learned from the recent draft leagues that you should wait until at least the 26-game mark before revising expectations, that will give us all 13 home and 13 away games and a chance to balance out some of the early season randomness, as well as letting some of the fatigue set in. I plan to do another round when he hit that mark here.
7/8/2013 12:35 PM

Thx nate, you may be correct about the difference in the styles of the different league effecting my team design. It may take me a few seasons to adjust to the ODL style of play. This team design is an execise in getting close to lower limits in numerous stats, while bringing as much def and floor game (ast%) as possible. Therefore if I miss on a lower limit stat, say a rbd short or TO/PF over, I'm screwed. I spent a year looking at various aspect of this style offense while letting def drift downward to see what was the lower def limit. The DDL was my first real attempt at putting it all together, the 2012-13 was the 2nd and this ODL the 3rd. The DDL parked in the 80's is where this design came from, but the 2012-13 is clearly diametericly opposed and solid new era perimeter ball. So, the design is in place, but solid execution of the design may take me a little while yet. The first two attempt are encouraging, wrt this team I won't know about for another 20 or so games. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

7/8/2013 12:44 PM
LMFAO - nate, last I looked you had not reviewed my team, I wrote the above before seeing it. I guess we are on a similar page after all. WRT the TO & PF, there are statagy's that allow me to bring my teams in at average PF and usually 1-2 TO less than opponents. Remember the def? ;-))
7/8/2013 12:55 PM
The trick is to get your opponent to turn it over and foul more than you do. These things I never talk about in the forum or to anyone..but SKY. GL!
7/8/2013 12:59 PM
Thanks for all of the fine work natenoy. I can't argue against your enthusiasm and your love for this thing that we all enjoy so much. I agree that your strong point is the post draft assessment. You have a gift with numbers.

What I have found is that being good at the draft leagues is about 50% being able to break down the numbers and 50% draft strategy. By draft strategy I mean having a feel for which players will make a great team when they are woven together, and being able to figure out when to draft them based on the league that you are in. 

And I am definitely hoping that my team wins the division because I did draft just shy of 19,300 minutes. But I also didn't figure that I would be "lucky" enough to be in dh555's division lol!
7/9/2013 12:27 AM
BTW - nate, thanks for your hard work.
7/9/2013 4:29 AM
◂ Prev 12
ODL Predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.