Home Run Derby Topic

Posted by 05nomar05 on 7/9/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Hell, I'd freaking put Puig on the list.  MLB needs a jolt of excitement for the casual fan...like what Mike said.

NL should be Harper, Wright, Puig and Carlos Gonzalaz.  Justin Upton would be a good choice as well.

AL should be Trout, Cano, Fielder (or Miggy) and Chris Davis.   You could do a Nelson Cruz and switch out Fielder....but Prince's name is bigger.
This isn't bad.  

IMO, you want to cover your major markets(NY, LA, CHI) and bring in possible future stars.   Throw in a couple of known commodities and it's golden.  Too bad Chicago is a bucket of puke for BL talent. 
7/9/2013 1:50 PM
Dunn can still swing for the fences in a Derby if you are desperate to cover Chicago.
7/9/2013 2:09 PM
Who cares?  I don't watch batting practice.
7/9/2013 2:10 PM
A lot of people don't watch baseball.

But chicks dig the long ball.

7/9/2013 2:24 PM
trudat.

Mine are near the floor!
7/9/2013 2:27 PM
Cespedes? He of the 15 HRs. And who the hell watches the A's?
7/9/2013 6:34 PM
Three rules that would spruce up the Derby:

1. Captains are the two league HR leaders as of June 15

2. Entrants must be in the top 10 in their respective league when selected

3. Everyone is eligible (not just All-Stars). As was previously mentioned, Dunn will never be an AS again, but would absolutely light it up in the Derby.
7/9/2013 6:44 PM
I just realized Cespedes isn't an all-star. Apparently Howard, Palmeiro and Choi have also previously participated without being on the team.
7/9/2013 6:56 PM
I don't think anything short of requiring guys to participate when asked (which will never happen) or creating an incentive that would entice more guys to participate is going to "fix" the Derby.  I guarantee you that many of the guys you are trying to get into the Derby with these changes declined to participate.  There's virtually nothing to gain, guys don't want to risk looking stupid, and this is the only real break they get in during the season and a lot of guys just want the day off.
7/9/2013 10:28 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/9/2013 6:34:00 PM (view original):
Cespedes? He of the 15 HRs. And who the hell watches the A's?
Residents in San Jose & Richmond!
7/10/2013 2:06 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 7/9/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):
I don't think anything short of requiring guys to participate when asked (which will never happen) or creating an incentive that would entice more guys to participate is going to "fix" the Derby.  I guarantee you that many of the guys you are trying to get into the Derby with these changes declined to participate.  There's virtually nothing to gain, guys don't want to risk looking stupid, and this is the only real break they get in during the season and a lot of guys just want the day off.
I think this is it.

There's the risk of injury/fatigue.   And it's possible that one could mess up their swing due to the adjustments made to it for the HRD.
7/10/2013 8:18 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/10/2013 8:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 7/9/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):
I think this is it.

There's the risk of injury/fatigue.   And it's possible that one could mess up their swing due to the adjustments made to it for the HRD.
Yes. See: Wright, 2006.
7/10/2013 8:22 AM
I just don't buy that the HR derby can really mess up a good ML swing for more than maybe a week or 2.  And that's a stretch.

I think Cespedes is actually a solid choice, he loves to swing hard, could be exciting in the derby.  I'd have liked to see Giancarlo Stanton make the NL team.  Sure, he's hitting like dogshit this year.  But man, he can pound the ball.
7/12/2013 10:59 PM

Alvarez is in now. Probably a good thing. CarGo was my pick to win it last year and he crapped the bad something special.

7/12/2013 11:32 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/8/2013 6:40:00 PM (view original):
MLB really needs to fix the HR derby. I realize it's an exhibition, but this captain thing is retarded. There are at least 6 NL all-stars with more HR than Harper and Wright and 7 AL all-stars with more HR than Fielder
I think having the host team have a guy in the contest is the right thing to do for the fans. Weights should be on the team for that reason. The rest I agree with. It's retarded.
7/14/2013 4:35 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Home Run Derby Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.