Would anyone care to start a gimmick league? Topic

I've been itching to join a gimmick league for quite some time now, but there haven't been much in the way of pickings.

Would anyone with more sim baseball cred than me care to start:

-"Break the sim" style offense
-HR/3B/2B leagues (of the standings-reordering variety)
-SB league with no catchers
-Zero offense league
-Abysmally low cap (< $40m)

I have hopes the current SYN league will spawn another generation, but beyond that, I don't see anything as bat-crap crazy as the above leagues running...

7/9/2013 5:45 PM
I tried the SB/ no catcher league, but I could never get traction.
7/10/2013 1:43 AM
I've been thinking about a couple of different ones.... But it will be august before I can dedicate the time to flesh them out.

Right now, the two I've been considering are

- A re-make of my "The Running of the Turtles" league, where you require (1) a winning record and (2) the most caught stealings... Meaning the playoff slots go to the the .501% and better teams with the most caught stealings (NOT a defensive stat, you try to draft players who are 3 for 50 in SB attempts... ) 

- An all fatigue $60m cap league, where all teams are limited to 5000 PA and 1000 IP.  (tentative amounts).

They both need finetuning before they're ready for real time, and both can't run at the same time (not enough owners play this style of league).
7/10/2013 1:56 PM (edited)
I would reallyt like to do a Failure Gets you 7 league.
7/11/2013 11:20 AM
I've been kicking around an idea I call "There's no 'We' in 'Team'".  In this, teams would get points for individual awards (1 pt for Silver Slugger or Gold Glove, 10 pts for Cy Young, etc. - just tentative numbers); there would probably be a bonus for Batting and Pitching Triple Crowns, but otherwise points would only be allotted for the 'official' Sim Awards.  It wouldn't be super-high cap, but to allow for outstanding performances I'm thinking in the $140m range.  Playoffs would be determined solely by points, with the top four from each league making it in even if they're all in the same division.  Once the playoffs start, it's regular Sim.
7/11/2013 1:49 PM
I have been thinking about doing a Japanese baseball league. I found a list of 200 or so Mlb players that played in Japan. I figure we would have like a four round draft and then fill the rosters with sub 1 million dollar players and like 60/20 below average aaa.

I ran a Mexican outlaw league a while back using similar rules. The real mlb players really shined.
7/11/2013 7:15 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
"Or you could have a libertarian free market Ayn Rand version of a baseball league..." ha ha.  Very nice.  Reminded me of something else I read long ago on Ms. Rand, by the late, great Gore Vidal:

www.esquire.com/features/gore-vidal-archive/comment-0761

(Begins about halfway down the page, with the paragraph starting 'Now, before I'm investigated...)
7/12/2013 1:04 PM
Posted by italyprof on 7/12/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
I would like to do create a Board Game called "There is no We in Anything" - there will be a war of all against all and the life of man will be nasty, brutish and short and then civilization will collapse. 

Or you could have a libertarian free market Ayn Rand version of a baseball league in which each player took bids from the public and also online before every pitch or at bat and decided whether to even play, to play as well as they could, or to let the other team win, based on their own self-interest with no concern for the team. Fans would go see something else instead and baseball would cease to exist. Kind of like is happening to everything under the same philosophy in RL. 

Wow, your lack of understanding of Objectivism is, well, shocking ...
7/12/2013 1:44 PM

Getting back to the original idea behind these posts I propose the following gimmick league

The Chuck Yeager (King of the Hill League) 

Based on the movie the Right Stuff, Yeager (Played by Sam Shepard) only went up when his speed records were broken.  

So here goes

There will be 3 categories we will keep track of

1) Most K's per game by a pitcher
2) Most Rbi's by a batter
3) Closest to a no hitter (if a no hitter is thrown it then goes to closest perfect game)

When a player becomes King of the Hill he must be benched until someone ties or surpasses him.  (I will post the standings once a day on the league message board, and you have 24 hours after the post to adjust your lineup or rotation.)

Example On opening day Mark Langston strikeouts 13 batters , he cannot pitch again until someone else K's 13 batters. 

At the end of the season the winner gets a $5.00 gift certificate from everyone in his division.

Basic rules
NO DH NO ww NO trades 
Salary Cap 120 mil 
Any ballpark

Special rules
Everyone  must have at least one pitcher with 200 K's, one batter with at least 30 hr's and one other batter that struck out at least 100 times.

If there is a lot of interest in this forum I'll move it to the Theme Classifieds.
7/13/2013 6:41 PM
I will be putting together a Simpsons (Tribute) League to Celebrate the shows' 25th anniversary.

Basic rules will be to draft one player for every season the show has been on (1987 -2012) including the family's debut the Tracy Ulman show.
I was planing on some rules to celebrate the main characters and some ancillary characters... 
7/14/2013 3:23 PM
Posted by zubinsum on 7/14/2013 3:23:00 PM (view original):
I will be putting together a Simpsons (Tribute) League to Celebrate the shows' 25th anniversary.

Basic rules will be to draft one player for every season the show has been on (1987 -2012) including the family's debut the Tracy Ulman show.
I was planing on some rules to celebrate the main characters and some ancillary characters... 
Only 3 Bart's in sim, most interesting one is Bart johnson, have to find a way to get Homer Summa in there
7/14/2013 4:13 PM
There'd have to be room for Ed Doheny, Jonh Doherty, or Scott Dohmann on the pitching staff ... 
7/14/2013 6:46 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/11/2013 11:20:00 AM (view original):
I sign up for them whenever I hear of one, but they never get going. Would love to play in one again.
7/14/2013 7:45 PM
Posted by Donburgh on 7/14/2013 7:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/11/2013 11:20:00 AM (view original):
I sign up for them whenever I hear of one, but they never get going. Would love to play in one again.
Tried to get one going about a year ago... Got 12 signups or so and died. Deathinahole had similar luck about a year prior...

That said, you can always count me in for one of these
7/14/2013 9:16 PM
12 Next ▸
Would anyone care to start a gimmick league? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.