Trayvon Martin Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
If the kid had been white Zimmerman would be in prison.
7/16/2013 10:39 AM
If the kid had been white, none of this would have ever happened because Zimmerman would have left him alone.
7/16/2013 11:00 AM
Posted by The Taint on 7/16/2013 11:00:00 AM (view original):
If the kid had been white, none of this would have ever happened because Zimmerman would have left him alone.
True
7/16/2013 11:08 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/16/2013 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Blame the media.  Racism makes for a good story, and makes money for the media outlets.

This should NOT have been a national story.  If the story was "adult man accused of shooting unarmed teenage boy", it very likely would not have been publicized outside of the community in which it occurred.  But once the media decides to embellish it as "white man (actually Hispanic, but white makes for a much better story) shoots unarmed black teenager", it takes on a much different feeling.  Emotions are inflamed, sides are taken, and racial divisiveness rules the day.  And that is a story that sells.

How does that help to curb racist attitudes in this country? I don't believe it does; it just continues to propagate racial divisiveness, an attitude of "us against them".  It's very sad to me that in 2013, we're unable to move forward in combating racism.
Ignoring obvious racism doesn't help us move forward in combating racism.
7/16/2013 11:10 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/16/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Blame the media.  Racism makes for a good story, and makes money for the media outlets.

This should NOT have been a national story.  If the story was "adult man accused of shooting unarmed teenage boy", it very likely would not have been publicized outside of the community in which it occurred.  But once the media decides to embellish it as "white man (actually Hispanic, but white makes for a much better story) shoots unarmed black teenager", it takes on a much different feeling.  Emotions are inflamed, sides are taken, and racial divisiveness rules the day.  And that is a story that sells.

How does that help to curb racist attitudes in this country? I don't believe it does; it just continues to propagate racial divisiveness, an attitude of "us against them".  It's very sad to me that in 2013, we're unable to move forward in combating racism.
Both good points, actually.  But I'd argue the media made this a story NOT because they were helping us move forward in combating racism, they did it BECAUSE they knew there is still racial tension in this country, and it would become popular if they kept pushing it.
7/16/2013 11:14 AM
Posted by silentpadna on 7/16/2013 11:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/16/2013 10:39:00 AM (view original):
If the kid had been white Zimmerman would be in prison.
Based on what evidence?
Yea, I don't agree with BL.
7/16/2013 11:15 AM
Posted by silentpadna on 7/16/2013 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/16/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):

What actual evidence do you have that is was obvious racism?  Unless, of course, you are talking about the media outlets  being racist (especially NBC that edited the 911 tape to make it LOOK like racism).

I'm not saying racism wasn't involved, but if is "obvious" to you, how do you know specifically?
Purely my opinion, no evidence.

I think Zimmerman followed Martin because Martin was black. That's racism, whether or not Zimmerman hates black people.

I think the Florida law is terrible. It allowed Zimmerman to (credit John Oliver):
Get a gun. Follow an unarmed minor.
Call the police. Have them explicitly tell you to stop following him.
Then choose to ignore that. Keep following the minor.
Get into a confrontation with him and then, if at any point you get scared, you can shoot the minor to death and the state of Florida will say, "well look, you did what you could."

I think the jury was able to relate to Zimmerman's fear of a black person and had an easier time finding him not guilty. When other juries in Florida have returned guilty verdicts in much clearer cases of self defense, see Marissa Alexander.

It's not KKK, out-to-lynch-a-black-kid racism. It's systematic, subtle racism and it allowed this trial to be about the fear of an unknown black person instead of the murder of an unarmed teenager.

Again, all just my opinion, no actual evidence.

7/16/2013 11:41 AM
AMERIKA IS RACIST TO ITS VERY CORE
7/16/2013 11:50 AM
1|2|3...22 Next ▸
Trayvon Martin Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.