Just thinking out loud..... Topic

But assists are a window screen dressing in the sim.
8/1/2013 6:55 PM
You guys that think Garret should play the 4, do you think he is better than Allen and Canterburry?

Name Yr. Pos. A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT TOT
Nicholas Allen Jr. C 78 18 84 82 77 62 1 11 6 83 68 34 D+ 604
Corey Canterbury Sr. C 80 25 83 78 82 80 19 13 10 22 69 31 C- 592
Matthew Johnson So. PF 53 17 75 59 73 75 24 15 19 37 69 67 C+ 583
Art Smith Fr. C 63 17 71 62 70 41 14 15 36 32 63 42 D 526
Anthony Garrett Sr. SG 75 84 57 87 32 16 35 64 61 73 90 64 B- 738
8/2/2013 8:49 AM
Allen and Canterburry are my starting 4 and 5.   Johnson and Smith are the backups.  Neither are what I consider good as post defenders but I don't think Garret is either (because of the 32 BLK).  And while neither Johnson or Smith are good rebounders, they are better than Garrett.

What am I missing?
8/2/2013 8:55 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/1/2013 6:55:00 PM (view original):
But assists are a window screen dressing in the sim.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
8/2/2013 10:40 AM
The game decides if there is an assist AFTER  it decides if there is a basket and then it assigns the assist based on a formula that probably involves passing, IQ, and position.

I think a players PASSING rating impacts the outcome of if a shot goes in, but assists in the SIM are determined AFTER a shot's outcome is decided.
8/2/2013 10:56 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/2/2013 10:56:00 AM (view original):
The game decides if there is an assist AFTER  it decides if there is a basket and then it assigns the assist based on a formula that probably involves passing, IQ, and position.

I think a players PASSING rating impacts the outcome of if a shot goes in, but assists in the SIM are determined AFTER a shot's outcome is decided.
Was that in some kind of developer's note or something? Or is that something you're extrapolating from the game play-by-play?
8/2/2013 11:20 AM
He's absolutely right, window dressing.
8/2/2013 11:38 AM
The fact that it's done post scoring equation is in a developer chat.   The idea that assists are assigned using a formula based on IQ, Passing, position (and indirectly distro) is my own hypothesis.

8/2/2013 11:53 AM
I also don't believe A/TO ratio would be as good when used with bigs considereding bigs are not meant to be passers.
8/2/2013 1:45 PM
assists used to be 100% window dressing, as your players' abilities DID NOT impact the scoring ability of others (well, not directly at least, like your pg being a killer ball handler driving to the lane and a killer passer to find the open man, doesnt make your wing jump shooter any better, which would logically be the case). but then seble changed that largely because he used to give half a **** what i had to say. 

now that a pg's abilities can increase the team mates' scoring efficiency (through creating better looks, that type of thing), its possible the way that happens uses similar formulas to the way assists are dished out. rebounds are window dressing in the sense that rebounds are decided by team and then allocated after the fact (well, that changed too) - but the formulas that decided how much a player contributed to a team's rebouding ability, and his chance of getting a rebound, were probably made to be as similar as possible. do assists work that way? who the hell knows. seble would probably answer that via support ticket though - it would be interesting to know if assists are still 100% useless window dressing, or if now, they are only half window dressing.
8/2/2013 2:19 PM
Ehh, split the difference and call them three quarters window dressing.  I can't ever remember a time since I've been playing that I felt like assist numbers were truly meaningful.  Always seemed to be way on the low side, at least to me.

***By the way, for someone who has "retired", you just can't help but hang around the forums, huh?  You know you want to grab another team, just go ahead, no one will think any worse of you.  How many times have you heard me say that I'm burned out and in need of a break, but when it comes right down to it, I just can't let it go?  Damn game is more addictive than crack!***  
8/2/2013 2:28 PM (edited)
yeah... i think there were two weeks there where i didnt check in even once, and like 2 1 week sessions. but i do miss it somewhat. maybe if something exciting opens up in tark next time around ill throw my hat in the ring?
8/2/2013 2:44 PM
You should be giving Canterbury more distro to lessen the impact of an off night for your guards. I realize his FG% is low. Hopefully, that is just a result of a small sample size and him building his IQ.
8/2/2013 3:26 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/2/2013 8:55:00 AM (view original):
Allen and Canterburry are my starting 4 and 5.   Johnson and Smith are the backups.  Neither are what I consider good as post defenders but I don't think Garret is either (because of the 32 BLK).  And while neither Johnson or Smith are good rebounders, they are better than Garrett.

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. I think the argument people were trying to make is just that Garrett is a viable PF option. Allen and Canterbury are much better though IMO. And billyg, come back (if not, at least stay on the forums)!
8/2/2013 5:48 PM
Does "window dressing" apply across the board? If I play 50 BH, 50 SPD, 50 PASS guy at PG will the sim determine that my team is due for a turnover and then most likely assign it to the PG based on his ratings? I'm sure there's a better way to put that, since a PG will generally get the most turnovers anyway.
8/2/2013 6:23 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Just thinking out loud..... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.