Posted by malone9975 on 8/2/2013 3:08:00 PM (view original):
What I could do over this weekend is put together a list of the top 48 at each position.  Then split them into 24 balanced squads.

I will then let masterdebate and another person have those teams put into some form of a randomized group that would allow for no one to know what they are going to get, but have a balanced grouping of players and still leave room to draft two others as well as maybe make sure everyone gets some incredible players, and everyone gets a touch of sim poison too.

I'd be fine with this. That was the original intent of this league, I believe, but masterdebate doesn't have enough experience with sim basketball yet to tell the difference between what makes a great player in the real world vs. the sim world, so the teams he decided on aren't as fair as he meant them to be. If you can make a list of teams that is fairer to everyone, I think that would solve the problems we're having here.

But even if we didn't do this, you guys gotta understand that a couple seasons in this league is going to look a lot different than it does right now. Inequalities won't necessarily last too long. Things can change quickly in the URAPP world.

8/2/2013 3:52 PM
Posted by malone9975 on 8/2/2013 3:46:00 PM (view original):
One thing logain...the GPS score should be limited to players typically drafted before round 5 since many players in round 5 and 6 are solid support players.  The GPS should show a player that you can build around that has a skill set that allows a player to be dominant at a given skill.  When you give me 6 points you aren't pointing out that most of the Majerle seasons are crap, Griffin, Rollins, and Moncrief are late round picks that are support players, and I have nothing at the point so I am going to have about 40% assists...hello penalty!

I would love to put together 24 more equally balanced squads that creates basic parity, and then allow the idiosyncratic nature of the theme to take over from there.
Yes..  you do have a lot of 6th round guys on there. As I said.. not the perfect system. I could limit it to top 5 round guys.. I actually have the 52 mil results for the past several years in a spreadsheet for another forthcoming project..

If I did that you would have 2 points lol..
8/2/2013 3:52 PM
Guys, why don't we just take the rosters of the 52 mil draft that just ended and make those the squads available to us by a random distro. That'd be quick and much more balanced. And it would give the baseball guys a good squad to start with
8/2/2013 3:54 PM
In the end.. if enough people are unhappy rerandomizing is probably better... we could randomize well balanced teams of 12.. allow up to 2 cuts.. and do a 2 round draft and roll.. 
8/2/2013 3:55 PM
Except for pennsylvanias squad.... Lol
8/2/2013 3:55 PM
Posted by slymonium on 8/2/2013 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Guys, why don't we just take the rosters of the 52 mil draft that just ended and make those the squads available to us by a random distro. That'd be quick and much more balanced. And it would give the baseball guys a good squad to start with
sure. You take Pennsylvainia's team sly!

I think the squad's from the initial PCL draft would be better.
8/2/2013 3:56 PM
Or that, if you still have that info.
8/2/2013 3:58 PM
The forum was open for a long time.. Ash may still have that info.
8/2/2013 3:58 PM

The key is the randomness of the league.  Owners will have to tolerate losing their superstars to free agency.
This is the only way that 1st rd. funk52 type talent will be available in each seasons draft.  Looks like rosters
can dramatically change season to season.  Which as the name suggests makes it Ultimately Random.
That is part of the challenge. Losing your key players and finding ways to replace them each season.
A dramatic shift from the PPL theme.  That league is long term planning.  This league is random and
the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune may well be your fate.

8/2/2013 4:05 PM (edited)
Yes.. I was actually kind of hoping for a bad roster lol. I figure if I suck I have a good shot at getting Wilt/Lebron/MJ next year.
8/2/2013 4:04 PM
Posted by logain on 8/2/2013 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Yes.. I was actually kind of hoping for a bad roster lol. I figure if I suck I have a good shot at getting Wilt/Lebron/MJ next year.
This comment could not have been timed any better, as I came here to post something I thought about for the last 3 hours, as I cut grass.  Especially with everyone commenting about equality, I think it would be a great idea if once we have original rosters (however we decide to have those), each owner designates one "A" player and one "B" player.  Then, in following seasons, two "A" players may never be on the same team, no "A" player may ever be on the same team with two "B" players, and no three "B" players may ever be on the same team.  After all, do we really even want teams with Wilt and Lebron, or Michael, Malone and Magic, or whoever, to be possible?  Creating these "pools" of players would greatly help create yearly parity, each and every year.  This may not have been an issue in baseball, but it basketball, where it's quite possible only 7 guys will see the court, we should take measures to prevent 3 "stars" from being on 1 team.
In case someone thinks it would be a great idea to have a guy like Wilt or Lebron and not make him an "A" or a "B", remember that the player is only locked-into that owner for one season.   
8/2/2013 4:29 PM
Posted by malone9975 on 8/2/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by eleibowitz on 8/2/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slymonium on 8/2/2013 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Interesting take logain.  Likely a half-way fair view on team quality.

Commish:  Once we have 24 guys, are you going to open it up for say 48 hours or so to make roster cuts, trades, etc, then once that time period is closed, post a list of players who are not available to be drafted?

This doesn't work for me, my team is really bad.  All I have is Moses and Porter
Hey I will give you Duncan, Moncrief, Issel, and Davis for Hondo, Malone, Fox, and Porter...lol
LOL no way!

8/2/2013 4:34 PM
Posted by logain on 8/2/2013 3:55:00 PM (view original):
In the end.. if enough people are unhappy rerandomizing is probably better... we could randomize well balanced teams of 12.. allow up to 2 cuts.. and do a 2 round draft and roll.. 
I dont mind a challenge but need to level the playing field a little.  I mean having Jerry Stackhouse in the starting lineup sounds like something  jethroeg would do lol
8/2/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by slymonium on 8/2/2013 3:54:00 PM (view original):
This is still my preference.  Quick, easy, fair.  Or we use the previous 52 draft since pennsylvania drafted such a godawful squad this time.
8/2/2013 4:44 PM
My 2¢ on rosters: your roster will only remain in tact for one season. The offseason could see you lose both MJ and KD. Then where will you be? You are only assured of your roster for the upcoming season, and even with that you are not assured a particular season. Open leagues do not play out the same as this format. Example: in baseball I have Tommy delay Cruz and had Erv Lange. Jealous? Ever even heard of em? I'd never use them in an open league but in this format they are extremely valuable. In 2 seasons the rosters will not resemble what they are now. If we start picking apart teams we open a slippery slope. In 6 seasons when someone has squires MJ Magic and Wilt are you going to stop and say its not fair? Because the commish will probably say tough luck. In baseball one team has Babe Ruth Albert Pujols Walter Johnson and Pete Conway and barely made the world series. But he squires them from being a bad team, making mart and aggressive trades. If the random factor is too much of a hurdle then this probably isn't the league for you. The rosters were posted before anyone signed up but you still took the chance on getting a "strong" team. I'm sure the Wizards and Bobcats would love parody but its not the way the league is set up.

Just my flawed opinion.
8/2/2013 4:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...14 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.