The 2nd Wild Card Topic

I can't stand sports where 50%+ teams make the playoffs. It's watered down BS. Baseball is the hardest of the major sports to make the playoffs in, which is what contributes to its greatness. And I say that as a fan of a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Clinton was in office. When the 8th best team in a 15 team conference wins the championship, there's a problem. They simply got hot at the right time, in a tournament they shouldn't even be in. I'm sure even the Cubs would have a shot at the WS if you threw them in the playoffs every season.
8/2/2013 2:06 PM
"I'm sure even the Cubs would have a shot at the WS if you threw them in the playoffs every season."

Okay, you're talking out of your head now.  You just lost major credibility...

8/2/2013 2:50 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/2/2013 2:06:00 PM (view original):
I can't stand sports where 50%+ teams make the playoffs. It's watered down BS. Baseball is the hardest of the major sports to make the playoffs in, which is what contributes to its greatness. And I say that as a fan of a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Clinton was in office. When the 8th best team in a 15 team conference wins the championship, there's a problem. They simply got hot at the right time, in a tournament they shouldn't even be in. I'm sure even the Cubs would have a shot at the WS if you threw them in the playoffs every season.
Mindset.

In Premier League soccer, they 100% agree, and the league championship is the golden crown.

FA Cup, which is tournament style, is also important but separate. That is your mindset.

I see the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the greatest tournament, period. I love everything about those two months. The regular season is just jockeying for entry.

That is my mindset.

That's why I'm not a fan of the wild card, period. Baseball had more of a mindset of the regular season meaning something.
8/2/2013 3:01 PM
Posted by inkdskn on 8/2/2013 10:58:00 AM (view original):
I don't like it, primarily due to the one game, 'winner-take-all' format. WC1 can finish 5 games ahead of WC2 after 162 games, lose the playoff game (and still be 4 games up after 163), but their season is over. That sucks. It makes game 163 much more important than the previous 162 combined, which I don't understand at all. WC2 had 162 games to beat WC1, couldn't do so, and still gets a one-game shot to do it.

I also think the perception that it 'rewards' division winners is bullshit, since division winners are in the same position they were before: a playoff series. The format severely diminishes the achievements of WC1, ridiculously awards WC2 (by opportunity alone), and leaves the three division winners unchanged. I hate hearing people say 'WC1 should won the division then!' which reeks of stupidity, imo, as all know that the WC team often has a better record than division winners.

'Rewarding' division winners could be done via a 1st-round bye for the best team (other 4 play 3/5 series), or something else.
Agreed, but it does make teams want to win the division more.

I wish we'd have 3 wild cards and 3 division winners make the playoffs.  Have a best of 3 with the 3 WC winners and the lowest seeded division champ.  Then the next round be best of 5 and then best of 7's the rest of the way.

The season would have to be shortened a week or so though.  Which would probably never happen.  Too much $$$ in olved.
8/2/2013 3:07 PM
Lets go royals! We have a shot at a wild card!!! 9 years is worth the wait!!!!
The Maxwell trade was a actual good trade he hit the game winning homer today and is doing well
8/3/2013 5:17 PM
I LOVE the new 2nd wild card, and the Royals are the reason. And no, i don't just like the 2 wild card because it puts us in the mix. We would not be in the mix if there was no 2nd wild card. Teams that have not been in the mix are in the mix. PLUS it adds more fun to September, when you're team may be out, they're in. And the playoffs spots aren't settled by a week before the playoffs. HOWEVER I do no like only a one game playoff. Make it 3 or 5! I know its more dramatic but really? I still like the idea of 8 teams in the playoffs for Hockey and Basketball. Baseball is not that kind of sport and hockey is not a sport that would want to switch to 5 teams. The reason they want that is A. It makes for more upsets, as the #1 seed has 4 tests instead of 3, B. Has more action, C. Your team has a better chance of playoffs. 
My 2 cents
8/3/2013 5:35 PM
The second wild card is working well for baseball.  I'm looking forward to the Sox-Rays and Cardinals-Pirates races for division titles.  And we also get 2 more games of do-or-die baseball.
8/4/2013 12:08 AM
I'm also in favour if the 2nd WC, but I can see how it can be bad for baseball. There are teams that realistically have no shot at the postseason, but at the trade deadline, they'll stand pat and talk themselves into having a chance because of the second WC. As a result, they miss a chance to move someone and get rebuilding talent back in return. Case in point - Seattle and Philly this season.
8/4/2013 12:10 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Jtpsops- a good point, but if Seattle and Philly don't make those moves how is that the 2nd wild cards fault? horrible decision making is part of baseball. If every manager was perfect, than baseball wouldn't be as fun. 

8/4/2013 2:56 PM
Which of these contenders has the BEST chance of making the 2ND WILD CARD spot? (gb as of 8/4/2013)

Votes: 15
(Last vote received: 10/7/2015 12:58 PM)
8/4/2013 3:04 PM
My vote is an obvious homer vote but the Yanks have been without Jeter and Granderson all year(not to mention ARoid and Texiera but they aren't coming back).   They should have 40 wins.  
8/4/2013 3:26 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/4/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm also in favour if the 2nd WC, but I can see how it can be bad for baseball. There are teams that realistically have no shot at the postseason, but at the trade deadline, they'll stand pat and talk themselves into having a chance because of the second WC. As a result, they miss a chance to move someone and get rebuilding talent back in return. Case in point - Seattle and Philly this season.
Trust me, by the time the deadline came, the Phillies weren't standing pat because of any illusion about making the playoffs...
8/4/2013 5:57 PM
Reuben Amaro is a good GM for a winning team, pulled off some incredible trades to bring in talent when they needed it.  Proving to be very bad in the opposite situation, not able to bring himself to ship Cliff Lee for prospects.
8/4/2013 6:32 PM
He can probably still trade Lee this month, or this offseason, or anytime in the remaining 3 years they have him under control.  Was there some massive deal out there that he said no to that I didn't hear about?  Lee's contract is an issue in moving him, and it's also a reason why they don't have to be in a big hurry to move him.

I'm more critical of him not moving any of the guys who will be free agents.
8/4/2013 7:01 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The 2nd Wild Card Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.