The 2nd Wild Card Topic

1-many teams fans over estimate the value of prospects to other teams, this is hardly a phenomenon contained to Boston

2-in this case, I would say top prospects based on the general consensus of the baseball community

8/7/2013 10:46 AM
1 - True, it just has a rich history on this particular site with that particular team.

2 - Perhaps, I honestly never saw any names other than the one they wouldn't trade.
8/7/2013 10:54 AM
Well, Orioles fans(or maybe it was just jtpops) thought they could put together a package to get Sale from CWS.   They might be the new Boston.
8/7/2013 10:57 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/7/2013 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Well, Orioles fans(or maybe it was just jtpops) thought they could put together a package to get Sale from CWS.   They might be the new Boston.
And now.....
AL East division contenders
Boston
Tampa Bay
Baltimore

Okay, that's stretching it a bit. The O's and the Stankees may be in it.

8/7/2013 3:54 PM
I wish the Stankees were the Stinkees.

8/10/2013 2:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/7/2013 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Maybe you should add some context. Bundy and Schoop are two of the top prospects in baseball, Britton is a decent #5 with upside, and then throw in another prospect. Would the Sox take it? Maybe not, but it's not like I said "Hey, offer the Sox Flaherty and Johnson for Sale! They're sure to bite!!"

I base my valuing of prospects on scouting reports and their reputation around the league. Bundy, Gausman and Schoop are very highly regarded. EVERYONE who talked trade with the O's at the deadline was asking about Schoop. I don't overvalue any of their prospects. Beyond those three, aside from maybe Eddie Rodriguez, they don't have much.
8/10/2013 2:49 PM
Every wild card contenders team nickname (by a ROYALS fan, sorry if you are offended. Come up with the worst nickname for the royals all you want)
Pukebirds (Orioles)
Stinkees (yankees)
Bowties (indians)
Royals
Parkas (Rangers)

8/10/2013 4:36 PM
Why are the stinkees considered a better team than the royals, indians etc by the general public when the stinkees have the 15th?best record in baseball?
And why is Justin Verlander considered a elite hurler still even though he is not? 
And why do they let A-Roid keep playing the rest of the year, and the fans still cheer him on (kind of)?
And why do people think every team that has been bad for a while will sink down because they were bad for a while aka indians, pirates, royals?
And why does everybody think the Tigers are the best team in the majors? (they look great on paper but having seen them play a lot they are 4th 5th at best)
And why does everybody butt into every athletes lives?
And many more Why's
Oh, the media these days...
8/10/2013 10:51 PM
should be pretty darn good come september
8/21/2013 6:50 PM
Instrumental in getting the #1 seeds to the WS?
10/29/2013 11:52 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/29/2013 11:52:00 AM (view original):
Instrumental in getting the #1 seeds to the WS?
I wouldn't go that far, but it may have made a difference in getting the Cards past the Pirates.
10/29/2013 10:52 PM
I'm pretty lazy.  Does anyone know how many times the #1 seeds have met since the WC was added?
10/30/2013 8:42 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/30/2013 8:42:00 AM (view original):
I'm pretty lazy.  Does anyone know how many times the #1 seeds have met since the WC was added?
This season is only the third time it has happened.

1st two were:

1995 - Cleveland vs Atlanta
1999 - New York vs Atlanta
10/30/2013 8:59 AM
While one season can't be considered a trend, it happened for the first time in 14 years and the first time the extra WC game was added.   I suppose one would have to examine how pitching staffs were handled to get to the WC to fully understand how it affected the WC teams' rotation for the first full series but I think the entire purpose was to "force" teams to compete for 162.
10/30/2013 9:30 AM
I think it is a great addition which gives the #1 seed a slight edge, which they have earned over 162 games in my opinion.

With the WC game now being a one and done scenario, this forces both teams to go all in to win that game. They have to use the best available pitchers, which means that for the next round the #1 seed gets to throw their #1 vs the WCs #2 probably.
10/30/2013 9:45 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The 2nd Wild Card Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.