The 2nd Wild Card Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 10/30/2013 9:30:00 AM (view original):
While one season can't be considered a trend, it happened for the first time in 14 years and the first time the extra WC game was added.   I suppose one would have to examine how pitching staffs were handled to get to the WC to fully understand how it affected the WC teams' rotation for the first full series but I think the entire purpose was to "force" teams to compete for 162.
2nd time for the extra WC game.
10/30/2013 10:59 AM
Oops.
10/30/2013 11:10 AM
I'd consider this a good thing. You're rewarded for playing well in the regular season.
10/30/2013 11:28 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/30/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Oops.
The other thing to consider relative to the impact is the other change that came in with the extra WC - now the #1 seed always gets the WC, as opposed to before when you weren't allowed to a team from the same division in the first round.

Under the old system, St. Louis would have played LA in the first round.  And Cleveland would have been the sole WC under the old system, but if that rule hadn't changed with the new system, Boston would have played Detroit.

I think given the nature of baseball it's really going to be tough to isolate the real impact on the postseason, but I agree with you that the primary purpose of the change was more reasons for more teams to play meaningful regular games in September.
10/30/2013 11:45 AM

It will be easier if teams have defined 1, 2, 3 in their rotation AND if they've locked down a WC in time to set their rotation.   If the 1 is adjusted to pitch the WC, they've set themselves up to be at pitching "mismatches" the first two games of the next series(2v1, 3v2).  Of course, that's assuming the 1 seed locked down that spot early enough to set their rotation.  

10/30/2013 11:54 AM

It will be easier if teams have defined 1, 2, 3 in their rotation AND if they've locked down a WC in time to set their rotation.   If the 1 is adjusted to pitch the WC, they've set themselves up to be at pitching "mismatches" the first two games of the next series(2v1, 3v2).  Of course, that's assuming the 1 seed locked down that spot early enough to set their rotation.  

10/30/2013 11:54 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that this will make life easier for the #1 seeds in the first round over the long haul - and I guess inherently if the #1 seed is making the LCS more often then it stands that they will probably also make the WS more often.  Whether it was instrumental in this specific case, that I really have a hard time saying.

I mean, the Cardinals did get Wainwright going up against a rookie in Game 5 against Pittsburgh, but they were also in that Game 5 because Pitt took 2 of the first 3.
10/30/2013 12:14 PM
Like it now or not?
10/7/2015 10:09 AM
let's just let every team in to the playoffs and have the world series in February! Nothing better than February baseball in Chicago or New York
10/7/2015 12:29 PM
So, still on the fence then?
10/7/2015 3:40 PM
Maybe it would be better to only have a WS.    Win your league during the regular season or sit your stupid *** home in October.
10/7/2015 3:50 PM
who needs a ws?? team with the best record wins!
10/7/2015 6:12 PM
NO MORE RACES If you win 90 games you make the playoffs,  In the NFL if you win 10 games you make the playoffs
10/7/2015 8:00 PM
◂ Prev 12345
The 2nd Wild Card Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.