4 of the top 5 teams in the draft need a QB along with Minnesota at #8. Scouts Inc has Bridgewater, Bortles (?), and Manziel with 1st round grades.

Houston is a lock to take a QB, then St.Louis is a lock to trade the #2 pick to the highest bidder (which they did with the eventual RGIII pick).
1/1/2014 11:39 AM
Why would anyone trade up?   Manziel, Bortles, Carr, Hundley are far from sure things.    Of course, one could argue that STL needs a QB. 
1/1/2014 11:49 AM
They always panic and trade up
1/1/2014 12:17 PM
There's hardly ever "sure things", but teams trade up continually anyway.

One could argue that St.Louis does need a QB, but who cares? They aren't taking one with their 1st pick. They seem committed to Sam Bradford still.
1/1/2014 12:54 PM
cnnsi in its most recent mock has Manziel going to the Browns, but to the Browns with their mid-20's pick from the Colts.  They had Cleveland taking Clowney at #4.
1/2/2014 10:32 AM
I just can't help but think that Manziel is going to be a huge bust in the NFL.
1/2/2014 12:21 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/2/2014 12:21:00 PM (view original):
I just can't help but think that Manziel is going to be a huge bust in the NFL.
I'd love to see that, but unfortunately I think he'll be at least solid/viable in the NFL.
1/4/2014 2:46 PM
Kiper projects Manziel at 1st overall.
1/15/2014 2:31 PM
What does Johnny Manziel's future look like in the NFL?

Votes: 19
(Last vote received: 11/18/2016 9:52 AM)
1/15/2014 2:35 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 1/15/2014 2:31:00 PM (view original):
Kiper projects Manziel at 1st overall.
The owner sure sounds like he's taking Clowney.   Of course, he could just be trying to get a deal to move down and grab his QB(Bortles, Manziel or Bridgewater) later in the draft(which would be smart).    Seems to me that Carr has just as good a chance to be successful as those 3.    Hell, McCarron, Boyd, Mettenberger, Murray might have just as much chance at success.
1/15/2014 2:39 PM
This draft looks scarily like the one a few years ago with Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, etc. Like nmchnv says, they always panic and trade up. Practically everyone knew going into the draft that Gabbert wouldn't be a good pro, but still someone decided, no we have to do this.

As far as Manziel goes, well now the kid has at least shown he has some big playmaking nards. He plays like he's trying to break into a car in a parking lot. Sure he might get busted in half, sure he might throw five picks a game, but one thing I don't expect is for him to become a Captain Checkdown, refusing to throw the ball more than five yards downfield... or being constantly terrified in the pocket like a few of the guys I mentioned before.

The one thing I figured out this fall is that watching him try to play pro ball should be entertaining, one way or another.
1/15/2014 2:57 PM
It seems that the similar types are having trouble now.    Griffin, Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton.   Although, to be fair, the boom or bust way of Kap/Cam had both of them playing in January.   Griffin was obviously a trainwreck all year and Wilson has been about as average as a QB can be, and still win, for the last two months.
1/15/2014 3:04 PM
How are you going to trade down for a QB when so many of those teams at the top of the list are looking for QBs? That would be a dangerous game unless you think one of the 2nd tier QB's is the one O'Brien wants, in which you'd probably trade up from your 2nd round pick.

Anyways I still see O'Brien taking Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater.

Manziel's draft stock will be based on how the team thinks they can mold him. So the dynamics we saw on Saturdays will likely become stunted.
1/15/2014 4:48 PM

Because, IMO, you have no Luck.   There are a bunch of Griiffin's.   As Seattle and SF have found, you can get one of those later.   Say Minny has their heart set on Bridgewater.   They might deal the 8th(I think) plus a 2nd/3rd rounder for the first pick.   HOU could grab one of the other 3-4 guys then if they felt one of them was their guy.   Everyone isn't going to take a QB.   There are some pretty good other players up there.   Ones that I think are less hit or miss.  

1/15/2014 5:48 PM
How many QBs do you think will go in the first 8?   3?  4?  5?  7?   C'mon, it's three max. 
1/15/2014 5:49 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.