UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

And if everybody else wants to do that, godspeed. It's nothing personal. You'll just be doing that without me because it is impractical for my work schedule, which is manageable within limits but not random.

(Of course, I also question the equitability and effects on strategy of such a system. You might want to eliminate cards instead of adding them. But if that's want everyone else likes, I wish you good luck.)

8/16/2013 9:17 PM
The order should be randomized. I have counted the number of "free" top 5 picks accumulated by each player through the first 8 rounds. By free I mean the player didn't have to use a wild card or reverse card to get one of the first 5 picks from a particular franchise. The list clearly shows that the top half has an advantage. It's true that players on the bottom will eventually get more top pcks as they gradually move up, but the ranks of top player available will be seriously depleted by all the first picks, reverses, and wild cards already played. Since they are much more likely to use their wild cards early in the draft, they are also at a disadvantage in round 25.

Here are the free top 5 picks by initial draft position:
1-3
2-4
3-4
4-4
5-6
6-6
7-6
8-4
9-4
10-5
11-3
12-3
13-0 (that's me, alas!)
14-1
15-1
16-3
17-2
18-1
19-2
20-1
21-1
22-2
23-3
24-2
The top and bottom 3 actually did a little better than it appears because of the incentive for players near the bottom to reverse to deeper franchises (Yankees, pirates, phillies, etc.).
8/17/2013 11:38 AM (edited)
I think what your not factoring in is the 120m cap.  10+ million dollars players, especially hitters, are not helpful when playing with a 120m cap.  If the cap were higher, I would agree with you.  These high priced hitters hitters will make it harder to fill out a complete, quality lineup.
8/17/2013 11:29 AM (edited)
You are also set up VERY nicely for the next few rounds, better than anyone, imho.  Picking #5 right now and of the eight people in front of you, only one reverse has been played.   You are about fill out your team very nicely.
8/17/2013 11:27 AM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/17/2013 11:27:00 AM (view original):
You are also set up VERY nicely for the next few rounds, better than anyone, imho.  Picking #5 right now and of the eight people in front of you, only one reverse has been played.   You are about fill out your team very nicely.
I'm doing my best!

8/17/2013 11:47 AM
I love all of the good discussions... good cases on all sides. I' ll compile a few poll questions for vote once we've all gone through a 25 Round full draft- maybe allow a Skip out of a Round or a Draw 2 of some form- but let's all let this draft run it's course under the current set up first...this may be the ideal without changing anything- but I am open to minor tweaks.

I'm not a fan of random time slots and may veto that idea outright. I like a straightforward revolving order for simplicity sake so you know where in the day you pick each day- moving up 30 minutes each new round- for those drafting & for the commish in keeping up in excel copying and pasting WC & REV on the master list. I started 21st? and like my team thusfar...I think you just roll with it and hope some guys ahead of you play a reverse that helps you add a premiere Yankee Phillies or Phillies A's player or what not...most of the strategy & excitement of UNO is seeing how the draft unfolds - every draft is different & full of opportunities
8/17/2013 2:15 PM
I'm at 74.1 million after ten rounds
8/18/2013 8:42 PM
A non-randomized order certainly works fine with unlimited reverses. With only one reverse per round, not so much.
8/18/2013 9:46 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 8/18/2013 9:46:00 PM (view original):
A non-randomized order certainly works fine with unlimited reverses. With only one reverse per round, not so much.
I do disagree.  I think the 120m cap levels things out, preventing anyone from having the best players.  There is a third way.

You could have a draft where after each round, everyone moved up five draft positions.  Using the template below, the listing of people does not change, but the draft order changes by five each round.  Every will draft before and after the same people the whole draft and everyone will get a good mix of drafting early and late.

Draft Round                                        
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
  1 x                                             x
  2                                       x        
Draft 3                             x                  
Position 4                   x                            
  5         x                                      
  6                                             x  
  7                                     x          
  8                           x                    
  9                 x                              
  10       x                                        
  11                                             x  
  12                                   x            
  13                         x                      
  14               x                                
  15     x                                          
  16                                           x    
  17                                 x              
  18                       x                        
  19             x                                  
  20   x                                            
  21                                         x      
  22                               x                
  23                     x                          
  24           x                                    

The 25th round order is determined the same as it is now, by wildcard or reverse card usage, I can't remember which.

8/19/2013 3:21 PM (edited)
The spreadsheet does not show up well but in this example your draft picks would fall in the following order:

1, 20, 15, 10, 5, 24, 19, 14, 9, 4, 23, 18, 13, 8, 3, 22, 17, 12, 7, 2, 21, 16, 11, 6

not random, you draft around the same people each time, and eveyone gets a good mix of drafting positions.

I do though prefer the current method.  I do agree if the cap were higher, the current method would not work well.

8/19/2013 3:27 PM
Any thought on just doing a draft without cards where a player can be drafted only once.   No trying to block other players.  The only luck is the random order of the first round.   
8/20/2013 9:14 AM
I like the current cards at least  :-))  that's part of what makes UNO, UNO...1 Wild Card, 1 Reverse...that plus the Round you pick & you have 3 picks for players you really want & Round 25 for whatever position/player you really need...
8/20/2013 8:08 PM
I agree with you completely Todd.  The only enhancement I'd be in favor of at all would be adding a 26th round and letting everyone have 1 Skip card.
This is great fun and I think it works well; why try to fix it?
8/24/2013 2:58 PM

yargespd1, I'd be happy to join the league you describe, but would consider it more an exclusive ownership draft.
If you don't do it first, that may become my first succesfully filled theme league. 

8/24/2013 3:01 PM
Having just waded through this thread there seems to be two groups-- those who want to complicate and trick it up and those who pretty much like how things are. Experience tells me that the more complex the more difficult it becomes to garner and maintain interest. The only idea I've seen that interests me is the use of the Skip card to block a player within that franchise. That would add a straight forward degree of strategy.

The order as it is seems to work just fine, especially given the salary cap. Decisions have to be made-- I passed on T. Perez and Pete Rose today for a $200K player in order to preserve cap room. I need a 3B. With the number of reverses, wc's, etc, the ability to get viable players at any draft position remains. We all are placed in a certain position and suffer/gain in a fair and equitable manner. I see no reason order than those who want to game the system to change it.

But, in the end, a person purposes a league and everyone is free to join or not join.

My 2 cents,
8/24/2013 6:17 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.