Iba, D2 Season 67 Topic

A huge evening in DII Iba as quite a few ranked teams go up against one another. 

#6 Lees Mcrae takes on #15 Franklin Pierce - these two teams, which are always solid, are primed to have huge seasons. Lees-McRae has a scary roster with 10 upperclassmen. 

#8 St. Edwards vs. #17 Cal Poly Pomona - two different styles of play - St. Eds (my wife's alma mater) relies heavily on excellent athleticism and defense, whereas Cal Poly Pomona relies on very good ball-handling and passing skills, and a wonderful assist-to-turnover ratio. 

#9 Hillsdale vs. #25 Northeastern St. - Hillsdale has 5 scorers in double figures, which makes their offense very difficult to slow down. NE St. is trying to rebound from a surprising 2nd round defeat last season when they had a very strong team. They're a little younger this year. 

#11 Wayne St. at #16 U. of the Sciences - Wayne St. didn't have the strongest starting schedule at (4-0), but they destroyed Armstrong Atlantic, their first real test. U. of the Sciences is 3-1, but is very well tested, having beaten Longwood, SE Oklahoma St. and Northeastern St, and only losing to #1 Pfieffer. They also somehow are starting a player shooting at %091 percent for the year. Maybe this guy has some major dirt on coach mhollebeek's sordid past.

#12 Bellarmine at #21 Pittsburg St. - master gameplanner Greenhawks has 8 upperclassmen, and his Bellarmine squad plays an absolute killer schedule. Expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season. Pittsburg St. scores 90 a game, and their reserves score more than their starters. They also play extremely mean defense, making them an exciting team to watch.

9/21/2013 10:13 AM
#1 vs #2 showdown tonight, Queens (NC) vs St Edwards.  And it's part of the CVAC-Heartland Challenge, preview to come in that thread.
9/23/2013 3:22 PM
Longwood is losing close games to good teams. Hopefully we turn it on at the end of the season. Maybe it's one of those seasons where we have a losing record, but tear it up in the PIT. 
9/25/2013 5:19 PM
not a lot of chatter this season. 
10/3/2013 2:54 PM
Definitely much quieter than in seasons past.  I've been swamped at work, so I haven't had as much time for the forums.  Hopefully as the season progresses chatter will pick up here some.

Big matchup in the Heartland tonight, as #10 St. Mary's TX makes the short trip down the road to Austin to face #2 St. Edwards.
10/4/2013 9:51 AM
Not much to talk about for Incarnate Word.  We are at 8-8.  Our 8 wins have come against triple-digit RPIs; our 8 losses against top 50 RPIs.  Only 3 more games against those triple digit RPIs, so our quest for 14 wins will likely come up short.  We will miss the NT for the 2nd time in 21 seasons.

On the bright side, my freshmen and sophomore classes I will put up against almost anybody's class.  Tremendous growth and plenty of room to go.  We might actually be able to give St Mary's a run for their money for the title of best team in San Antonio. 
10/4/2013 1:59 PM
The Great Lakes Valley should place 5 teams in the NT.  

In the East, Bellarmine holds a 2-game lead over 2-time defending champion Missouri-St. Louis and Indy. No. Kentucky is 2 1/2 back. 

In the West, Mercyhurst is one game ahead of 6-time defending champion Parkside.  Mercyhurst has swept Parkside this season, probably for the first time in history. Mercyhurst has won only one division title. 

Mercyhurst is favored in their next 7 games and should be 13-1 when they close the season with Mo-St. Louis and Indianapolis. Among the contenders, Parkside still must play Indy and Bellarmine

Current projections:
7.    Bellarmine
22. Indianapolis
32. Mo-St. Louis
35 Mercyhurst
37. Wisconsin-Parkside
85. No. Kentucky

10/5/2013 5:36 AM (edited)
The CVAC has been a slaughter house this year.  Currently there are 5 teams in the top 10, all seem to be legitimate contenders to make noise in the NT.  The most amazing thing is none of those teams are Longwood.  Some crazy coaching depth in that conference right now.  Longwood is young, so things will cycle back with him on top in a season or two I imagine.

Limestone is in year two of upperclassmen dominated team.  I am very pleased with my senior transfer success so far, and back-up SF juco has been servicable.  After losing 3 of my best players every last season I wasn't sure what would happen.... but the replacements have been admirable so far, and I hope to make another run in the NT. 

Interesting to me that the teams that played for the national championship last year are both 1-2 in the rankings.  Not sure we are really the best two teams - but it would be cool to have a re-match in the finals.... you don't see that often.

That said, my guess is the NT will be wide open again this year.  Good luck the rest of the way folks. I will try to improve on my miserable 11-29 record vs. bbunch tonight.  Gotta kick him while he's down if I can!

Here is the current CVAC projection report showing locks and bubble teams... 6 looks to be locks so far.

1. Queens U. (NC) CVAC muskies85 4 1 4 17-2 8-0 9-2 0-0 9-1 Lock
3. Limestone CVAC brianxavier 2 6 15 18-1 8-1 10-0 0-0 9-1 Lock
4. Lees-McRae CVAC dennyj 6 5 10 16-2 5-1 11-1 0-0 9-1 Lock
9. Coker CVAC warshot 9 11 26 16-3 8-1 8-2 0-0 7-3 Lock
10. Pfeiffer CVAC bow2dacowz 8 12 38 16-2 7-1 9-1 0-0 8-2 Lock
27. Belmont Abbey CVAC crashdive   27 3 10-8 5-5 5-3 0-0 4-6 Lock
61. Longwood CVAC bbunch   54 6 7-12 4-5 3-7 0-0 4-6 Bubble
69. Anderson CVAC bscollier   55 25 9-9 5-4 4-5 0-0 2-8 Bubble
72. Erskine CVAC tarvolon   46 27 9-9 2-4 7-5 0-0 5-5 Bubble
10/7/2013 11:29 AM (edited)
wow...tough conference!  The CVAC is always strong, but this is absurd!
10/7/2013 12:32 PM
St. Edwards comes to St. Mary's TX tonight in a game that should decide the winner of the Heartland's East division.  St. Edwards won at their place earlier this season.  Big game.
10/11/2013 6:15 PM
Holy ****. I just realized that Incarnate Word's current 12-14 record virtually ensures my first losing season in 30 at the school. Furthermore, I played two seasons at D-III without a losing record and unlike many of you, is my only team in HD. My first losing season doesn't feel good. this season can't roll over fast enough. Bbunch, I bet you can relate...
10/16/2013 5:59 PM
Time to get this thread going again. NT bracket is out. Who do you like out of each region? Who is your dark horse in each? Who do you think wins it all?
10/20/2013 9:38 AM
Cruel trick by Selection Committee : Matching me up vs my old team, Wisconsin, Parkside, a strong 11 seed in the first round. 
10/20/2013 12:42 PM
I think the NT is pretty wide open again this year.  If I get past my first round game, I may play a team that I barely beat regular season (won by 1 point on my home floor vs. N. Florida) and a possible re-match after that as well against another team I beat by 3 points on the road (Florida Southern).

To me that just shows how close things can be amongst the top 20 or so teams.  It seems to me that someone in the 5-10 ranking often surprises folks, so I would expect the same thing to happen this year.  
10/20/2013 9:18 PM
A few upsets so far, but 3 of the #1 seeds, 3 of the #2 seeds and 3 of the #3 seeds are in the Sweet 16.  Who are your Final Four predictions now?

I like Limestone in the Midwest, Valdosta St. in the East and St. Edwards in teh West.  I'm going to refrain from picking the South winner since that is my bracket.
10/22/2013 9:15 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Iba, D2 Season 67 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.