1977 PROGRESSIVE LEAGUE DRAFT THREAD Topic

I can see this both ways. On one hand, if a guy is available in the database, he should be available in the draft. I don't check the draft list when I'm doing research to see if a player accidentally got left off and it wasn't really spelled out in the rules. If the issue already came up once, there should have been a site mail sent to everyone to let them know what the ruling was so it didn't come up again.

On the other hand, it's pretty standard procedure in every league I've even been in that if a player isn't on the list, he can't be drafted. I was amazed that Knight was still available a few rounds ago. When I checked the list and saw he wasn't on there, I figured he wasn't on the list so we can't take him. I'm sure other people passed him up for the same reason and getting him this late is a steal that seems calculated, to me.

Either way you're going to have ****** off people at this point. 

SS Darrel Chaney

10/15/2013 3:02 PM
Ok, with the draft wrapping up, I feel the need to talk draft strategy as this was my first prog league from scratch. And since my family and friends don't seem to enjoy me talking about it as much as I would think they would, I figure I'll share here and see if anyone else wants to add to it. First, I thought the experience was great. I went in with two strategies: 1) sacrifice the first few years and build a massive dynasty a few years out, and 2) to build an unbelievable starting rotation for the ages. But what actually happened was I ended up with the last pick. So by the time my picks came around, it appeared most others had the same strategy of long term success. So pretty early on I changed gears and decided to build a team for the first couple years and go through a rebuild when everyone else was competing in a few seasons. I think I did ok with the 2nd part of my strategy. Tanana, Palmer, Torrez and Halicki aren't exactly Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz but they should be pretty good for the first couple seasons. Looking over my picks, I may have reached some on Yastremski and Munson but hitting was getting thin so I panicked. Anyway, all I can say is I really hope I do well these first couple seasons or else I may be in for a long Pittsburgh Pirates style of droubt. Anyone else want to share? You can also comment on my picks if you're constructive about it.
10/15/2013 3:31 PM
Mike Sadek C
10/15/2013 4:05 PM
Posted by mikemundt on 10/15/2013 2:34:00 PM (view original):
MIKE VAIL OF

I think Goldman23's reasoning is spot on and I hope that the commissioner reverses his initial decision.  Not a deal breaker by any means but I think fundamental fairness should reign.   No rule was violated, the rules seem to suggest he's eligible to be picked, thus it should be ruled legal.
My 2Cents - I would have taken Ray Knight if someone else didn't.  In the end I support whatever's decided.

LJ
10/15/2013 4:16 PM
I would have taken Knight too if he was listed. My experience with unlisted players is that they go into the draft pool for next year, but will abide by the commissioner's decision, whatever it may be.
10/15/2013 4:51 PM (edited)
Tradrrr, it is interesting to hear about other people's strategy in these drafts, and this was the first progressive I've participated from the beginning in a while.  I tried to go with a balanced approach in generally taking what I considered the most long term bang for my buck with the earlier round picks.  In other words, I didn't focus on early, middle or late years, but more of a total value approach.  I also focused more at the outset on being strong up the middle and the skill positions, choosing to focus on 1B and OF as later fill-ins that usually have more hitters available at those positions anyway.  I ended up I think with a stronger offense over pitching, despite trying to maintain a focused balance.  As you noted, you definitely have to stay adaptable as players you thought would be available are taken earlier, and you shift accordingly.  ... Now if we can only get past this bit of controversy, we'll be back on track.
10/15/2013 4:54 PM
new pick and hopefully I'm not missing the name again

OF Jose Cardenal
10/15/2013 5:26 PM
OF Ed Kranepool
10/15/2013 5:27 PM
inf-Ted Martinez
10/15/2013 6:26 PM
Bruce Boisclair OF to replace Wohlford

by the way I just bolded the pick (why it is "edited")
10/16/2013 8:19 AM (edited)
2B  George Zeber
10/15/2013 7:57 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
P Rick Baldwin
10/15/2013 9:02 PM
3B Cookie Rojas
10/15/2013 9:40 PM
Late, and I'm surprised he's available: OF Thad Bosley.

10/15/2013 9:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...44|45|46|47|48...55 Next ▸
1977 PROGRESSIVE LEAGUE DRAFT THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.