Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

not all companies are trying to attract good employees badluck. some just dont care. have to keep that in mind.
10/2/2013 2:05 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):
Plus, in your quoted article, where does it address hospitals charging $16 for an Advil, or $65 for a box of gauze bandages?  How is it reducing those costs?
So you want the federal government to step in and control/regulate how private hospitals price their goods and services?
10/2/2013 2:07 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 10/2/2013 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 10/2/2013 1:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/1/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 10/1/2013 7:19:00 PM (view original):
The benefit of an enticement is diminished, because you don't need a job to get affordable health coverage. Why pay more to continue to provide a diminished enticement when there is a cheaper option (pay the penalty). That makes no sense.
What the ****???

Last year there was a cheaper option for employers...not providing health care. Up until the ACA was passed all employers were free to not provide health benefits. And, yet, a lot of employers did anyway.

Why would an employer choose to stop now that there is a penalty? Why not just continue to do what they have always done?
Last year, if an employer stopped providing healthcare, a large segment of their workforce would look to make a lateral move to another company in order to get the health care.  Would I have made a lateral move under those cirumstances, to get healthcare for my wife and three kids?  You bet I would.  That is not (nearly as much of) a factor anymore.  Would I make a lateral move to another company that possibly has a "last one in, first one out" policy, in a down market, for stronger healthcare and put my career (and ability to support my family) at risk?  I'm not sure that I would.  I know many who definitely would not.

That being the case, the next time our industry sniffs a downturn, why wouldn't the companies say "Look, we all know this is the time where layoffs typically occur.  But we love all of you, and we don't want to lay any of you off.  That being the case, we have decided to stop providing health care through the workplace.  We know that you and your families will all still be covered on the exchange, and we don't have to take away any of your livelihoods."
So you're saying that, because the exchanges are available, employees will be less likely to make risky moves, career-wise, and employers will be less likely to lay people off.

What exactly is your complaint?
Wrong.  Layoffs still occur down the line (only the first wave is skipped), then hiring is arrested when the market increases (you have a larger staff than you normally would under those circumstances, as you skipped a wave of layoffs) and the lack of health expenses is ultimately realized as profit for the company in the end.  Other companies see the strategy if they didn't take part right away, repeat ad nauseum.  There ends up being no choice of a lateral move, because no one is offering coverage.

What it does (besides eliminate choices), as I said 5 posts ago, is force me onto the exchange.
You know that's going to happen, because once a company gets into "expense savings" mode (as they ALL do periodically) and start looking at where they can cut costs, this is going to be low-hanging fruit too juicy to resist.
How, exactly, does the ACA change that?

Companies could do that before without penalty.
10/2/2013 2:08 PM
Because the ACA all but eliminates the downside for the companies.  Rather than taking away healthcare altogether (catastrohic in employees' minds), they are simply changing they terms by which their employees receive it.  Negatively, in almost all cases, but as companies follow suit there is no ramification.  There is no leverage for the employee when none of the other companies in their chosen field are offering healthcare.
10/2/2013 2:12 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Plus, in your quoted article, where does it address hospitals charging $16 for an Advil, or $65 for a box of gauze bandages?  How is it reducing those costs?
So you want the federal government to step in and control/regulate how private hospitals price their goods and services?
That should be an option on the table, yes.
10/2/2013 2:13 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/2/2013 2:12:00 PM (view original):
Because the ACA all but eliminates the downside for the companies.  Rather than taking away healthcare altogether (catastrohic in employees' minds), they are simply changing they terms by which their employees receive it.  Negatively, in almost all cases, but as companies follow suit there is no ramification.  There is no leverage for the employee when none of the other companies in their chosen field are offering healthcare.
Before the ACA, company-provided or company-subsidized healthcare insurance was a valued benefit.  But when you now have another avenue to get it at a discount outside of your employer, it's value as a benefit is greatly dimished.
10/2/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
That's basically what it does through medicare.

Why not cut out the middle man and just go single payer? Government pays X for Y service. Hospitals have to find a way to make it work or go out of business.

Full disclosure, I'd be down for repealing the ACA if this was a realistic option. Judging by the "OMFG TEH DEATH PANELS!!1!!!" reaction to the ACA, I don't think it's realistic.
10/2/2013 2:18 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Before the ACA, company-provided or company-subsidized healthcare insurance was a valued benefit.  But when you now have another avenue to get it at a discount outside of your employer, it's value as a benefit is greatly dimished.
"Before the ACA, company-provided or company-subsidized healthcare insurance was a valued benefit"

It's not now???

The exchanges aren't free. They aren't cheap either if you make more than the poverty line and they come with big deductibles.
10/2/2013 2:20 PM
I do. if the govt pays one set price for each item, treatment, medicine, etc. then no one can price gouge at all.
10/2/2013 2:23 PM
its value is only diminished for those who have an option for healthcare already. if you dont have an affordable option then the value of the ACA provided one is immense.
10/2/2013 2:24 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 2:20:00 PM (view original):
"Before the ACA, company-provided or company-subsidized healthcare insurance was a valued benefit"

It's not now???

The exchanges aren't free. They aren't cheap either if you make more than the poverty line and they come with big deductibles.

Because they couldn't possibly sell it as benefitting their employees before.  Now they can say "We're doing it instead of layoffs.  You'll still have insurance, we just wanted to make sure you were all still employed as well."

10/2/2013 2:26 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
That's basically what it does through medicare.

Why not cut out the middle man and just go single payer? Government pays X for Y service. Hospitals have to find a way to make it work or go out of business.

Full disclosure, I'd be down for repealing the ACA if this was a realistic option. Judging by the "OMFG TEH DEATH PANELS!!1!!!" reaction to the ACA, I don't think it's realistic.
badluck that middle sentence above is prolly the smartest thing i have ever seen you say on these boards. pay X for Y service, and it WILL control the costs. if the payment is fair and doesn't send all hospitals out of business, then the ones who do go under are the ones who just can't do business anyway, and the market should eliminate them in normal circumstances but price gouging has allowed them to keep going until the govt steps in and says no more.
10/2/2013 2:27 PM
I think I'd rather just lose my benefits than be laid off and lose my job and my benefits with no option other than cobra.
10/2/2013 2:28 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/2/2013 2:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 2:20:00 PM (view original):

It's not now???

Because they couldn't possibly sell it as benefitting their employees before.  Now they can say "We're doing it instead of layoffs.  You'll still have insurance, we just wanted to make sure you were all still employed as well."

ya but ppl have to be stupid to believe a line of BS that says health insurance is being cut instead of layoffs benefits them.

lets face it 99% of companies do not give two ***** about their employees except for what the employee can provide to them. if a company really cared, instead of cuts to health insurance, the big earners at the company would take pay cuts to prevent layoffs. can't have that tho the big earners got to make their big bucks even if someone else no longer has a job.

10/2/2013 2:30 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 2:28:00 PM (view original):
I think I'd rather just lose my benefits than be laid off and lose my job and my benefits with no option other than cobra.
I think i'd rather the executives take pay cuts so I can keep my job and my benefits. thats what a comapny that actually cares does so it doesn't screw its ppl.
10/2/2013 2:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...57 Next ▸
Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.