Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

No they haven't.  We also aren't at open enrollment, when most changes in health plans and coverage occur.  Would it matter to you if they had?  Somehow I doubt it.
10/8/2013 4:58 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/8/2013 4:58:00 PM (view original):
No they haven't.  We also aren't at open enrollment, when most changes in health plans and coverage occur.  Would it matter to you if they had?  Somehow I doubt it.
Do you think they will drop coverage for all of their employees at open enrollment?
10/8/2013 5:40 PM
I think the possibility exists, with a much larger likelihood than it did before.  I think that, if I were running the company, I would seriously consider it.  As for what someone other than me will decide to do, I can't tell you that.  We'll see.
10/8/2013 5:47 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/8/2013 5:47:00 PM (view original):
I think the possibility exists, with a much larger likelihood than it did before.  I think that, if I were running the company, I would seriously consider it.  As for what someone other than me will decide to do, I can't tell you that.  We'll see.
So, in this hypothetical, you're running the company. Last year, without penalty, you could have dropped coverage for your employees but didn't. This year there is a penalty if you do. And now you're more likely to drop benefits? That makes no sense.

If you do, your good employees will leave. Most companies are not dropping benefits for their employees.

10/8/2013 6:17 PM
Many companies are certainly reducing benefits for their employees.

Because of the ACA.

Stop denying reality.
10/8/2013 6:21 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/8/2013 6:17:00 PM (view original):
So, in this hypothetical, you're running the company. Last year, without penalty, you could have dropped coverage for your employees but didn't. This year there is a penalty if you do. And now you're more likely to drop benefits? That makes no sense.

If you do, your good employees will leave. Most companies are not dropping benefits for their employees.

most companies are dropping benefits for their employees of some kind - if not healthcare then its something else.
10/8/2013 6:21 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/8/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):
Many companies are certainly reducing benefits for their employees.

Because of the ACA.

Stop denying reality.
Some companies are cutting the hours of employees that were already part time so that they don't have to give them benefits. Very few companies are cutting off the benefits of employees who already had benefits.
10/8/2013 6:26 PM
Posted by moy23 on 10/8/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):

most companies are dropping benefits for their employees of some kind - if not healthcare then its something else.
If not healthcare it's irrelevant to this discussion.

Source on the healthcare drops?
10/8/2013 6:27 PM
From CNN:

Myth:
 Employers are dumping health benefits because of Obamacare.

Reality: It's true that Obamacare is raising costs on employers. And some are either passing those increased tabs to workers or are cutting back on benefits to keep costs under control.

But Obamacare is not the only reason behind the benefits adjustments.

"An increase in costs of a few percent isn't enough to cause widespread changes in benefits," said Larry Levitt, senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

10/8/2013 6:33 PM

We've already been on this merry-go-'round.  Last year, there was no alternative for my employees.  I would have, in their minds, been removing their ability to get healthcare altogether.  This year that is not the case.  This year the industry has dipped, we have had four rounds of layoffs in the last four months, and the remaining employees are just happy to be employed.  They also have nowhere else to go, because the dip has been industry-wide.  It is a specialized-skill industry, so there is no option for a semi-lateral move to a different career.  It would be very easy for me to say "Look, we're as tired of the layoffs as you all are.  We've pared the staff down so much that we all we have left is the core group of employees that we simply can't afford to lose.  But, as we all know, there is also no turnaround coming for the industry in the near future.  So, in order to insure we don't have our fifth round of layoffs this year, we will no longer be offering employer-subsidized healthcare.  We know that this is an unwelcome change, but we are very excited about the new options being offered through the Affordable Care Act, and our HR staff is ready to help walk you through all of your options."

Now I keep my staff, cut costs now, and keep costs down in the future because I can start hiring later than anyone else who didn't follow suit does.  The good employees won't leave - they have nowhere to go.
10/8/2013 6:46 PM
We've pared the staff down so much that we all we have left is the core group of employees that we simply can't afford to lose.  But, as we all know, there is also no turnaround coming for the industry in the near future.  So, in order to insure we don't have our fifth round of layoffs this year, we will no longer be offering employer-subsidized healthcare. 

This happens with or without the ACA. Not because of the ACA. But, because of the ACA, your employees have a safety net that didn't exist before. Are you saying that's a bad thing?

10/8/2013 6:56 PM
I'm saying I don't even consider doing it without the ACA.
10/8/2013 7:43 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/8/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):

UPS, for one, has dropped spousal coverage if the spouse can get healthcare coverage from their own employer.

That is a drop in healthcare benefits.  Because of the ACA.
10/8/2013 8:01 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/8/2013 7:43:00 PM (view original):
I'm saying I don't even consider doing it without the ACA.
No, you'd lay them off instead.
10/8/2013 8:01 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/8/2013 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/8/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):

UPS, for one, has dropped spousal coverage if the spouse can get healthcare coverage from their own employer.

That is a drop in healthcare benefits.  Because of the ACA.

Like I said earlier, they've been wanting to do this for years.  Now it's a convenient excuse. 

10/8/2013 10:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...57 Next ▸
Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.