Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Barely read any of this thread, but if you're not being sarcastic, and your argument is "hit rock bottom so that we'll actually vote out these morons in Congress" then I like your argument.  I'm not sure if that's what I'm rooting for, because I don't think the country is strong enough from an economic standpoint at this time, but what is Congress' approval rating - 10%?  Yet if they fix this this week, everyone will forget about it next November and these same clowns will be voted in.  If this continues into the winter, it will be a bigger deal.
10/15/2013 9:09 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/15/2013 9:09:00 AM (view original):
Barely read any of this thread, but if you're not being sarcastic, and your argument is "hit rock bottom so that we'll actually vote out these morons in Congress" then I like your argument.  I'm not sure if that's what I'm rooting for, because I don't think the country is strong enough from an economic standpoint at this time, but what is Congress' approval rating - 10%?  Yet if they fix this this week, everyone will forget about it next November and these same clowns will be voted in.  If this continues into the winter, it will be a bigger deal.
It's so much bigger than that though. We are at rock bottom...or as close as I ever want to be. But, no matter what happens to the economy, wholesale changes in the House are extremely difficult due to gerrymandering. Realistically, House members are in more danger of primary challenge from a more extreme member of their own party. And that certainly won't solve anything.
10/15/2013 11:21 AM
We're nowhere near rock bottom.    There are a shitload of countries that would stand in line to be at our rock bottom. 
10/15/2013 12:26 PM
The government is shut down. Unemployment is over 7%. We may hit the debt ceiling.

That's as low as I'm willing to go.

Voting out all of congress doesn't solve the structural problems that led to this. We'll just replace them with another group of 535 idiots who will probably be more politically polarized and less experienced and still in the pockets of the big lobbyists.
10/15/2013 12:59 PM

Amen.

10/15/2013 1:17 PM
The 535 idiots in Congress today seem to act as if they only need to be held accountable to the lobbyists and the political power-brokers in Washington.

They need to start understanding that they primarily need to be held accountable to the people who elected them.

A couple of cycles of one-term Representatives and Senators, if that's what it takes, should start to get the point across.

10/15/2013 2:09 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/15/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):
The 535 idiots in Congress today seem to act as if they only need to be held accountable to the lobbyists and the political power-brokers in Washington.

They need to start understanding that they primarily need to be held accountable to the people who elected them.

A couple of cycles of one-term Representatives and Senators, if that's what it takes, should start to get the point across.

You'd think it would but the way the congressional districts are gerrymandered you're only going to get more extreme candidates. And, as we're seeing now, the more polarized congress gets, the more gridlock we get.
10/15/2013 2:26 PM
So, basically, you're saying we, as a people, are just far too stupid to send a message that says "We're tired of this bullshit" well enough so that it could be understood by elected officials?

While I tend ot agree, I also think we, as a people, don't have the balls to even try it.

10/15/2013 2:36 PM
I'm saying the mechanics of the system don't allow the message to matter.
10/15/2013 3:05 PM
That blows.  Let's start a revolution. 
10/15/2013 3:07 PM
We're allowed to vote.   If people would vote out the incumbents, a message can be sent.    But it won't happen because 80%, I imagine, are pressing one side of the poll regardless of the name attached to it.
10/15/2013 3:17 PM
10/15/2013 3:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2013 3:17:00 PM (view original):
We're allowed to vote.   If people would vote out the incumbents, a message can be sent.    But it won't happen because 80%, I imagine, are pressing one side of the poll regardless of the name attached to it.
Yep.  The only cure is to get the money out of politics.  And the politicians won't vote for that because the money lines their pockets and keeps them in power.
10/15/2013 4:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2013 3:17:00 PM (view original):
When was the last time you voted for a Democrat for president or congress?
10/15/2013 4:19 PM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32|33...57 Next ▸
Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.