AUCTION vol. One - (21 committed) Topic

works for me
10/9/2013 12:59 PM
Alright, I'm in. :) I bid $1 on Fresh Prince-era Will Smith. 
10/9/2013 3:53 PM
I'll bid a $buck$ on Jabbar....lol.
10/9/2013 7:10 PM

cmac, I'll proof your boards pretty soon, when I'm a bit more focused. you have cadillac anderson listed as lot 7 & 8 in the alpha list.

10/9/2013 7:23 PM
12 'in'...lets see if we can fill this league!!!
10/9/2013 7:25 PM
my first quick thought, it might have been posted already: bids in the last 5 minutes should extend the bid deadline by 10 minutes, or for 10 minutes from the time of the bid. Something like that. Otherwise you get an annoying rash of last-second bids and we have to fight about timestamps and such.
10/9/2013 8:10 PM
I think as long as the system has a time stamp of 9:59:59 its good - anything with 10:00 is after the bell-

the extensions and such would be good at an estate auction - or if  there was skype deal or everyone was present...
but its opening a whole can of worms and then there would need to be rules on the extension-

If you want a guy - you better bid-
you screw around - someone putting out more money will get him-

I'm an old ebay veteran - and it DOES pi$$ me off to have someone swoop in at the last second....

come on tarheel - jump on in  - the waters fine....

10/9/2013 8:37 PM
Posted by cmcafeeky on 10/9/2013 8:37:00 PM (view original):
I think as long as the system has a time stamp of 9:59:59 its good - anything with 10:00 is after the bell-

the extensions and such would be good at an estate auction - or if  there was skype deal or everyone was present...
but its opening a whole can of worms and then there would need to be rules on the extension-

If you want a guy - you better bid-
you screw around - someone putting out more money will get him-

I'm an old ebay veteran - and it DOES pi$$ me off to have someone swoop in at the last second....

come on tarheel - jump on in  - the waters fine....

cmc - auction is very interesting, but a question:

have you been able to confirm about the timestamp?  And if not, would you use what we assume to be chronological order if a post doesn't indicate seconds?  example:

jcred5 bids $86 on Michael Jordan at 9:59 EST
tarheel bids $86 on Michael Jordan at 9:59 EST

tarheel's bid is listed "last" by WIS in the forum.  So who gets Jordan?

Just my two cents, but I would expect a LOT of last minute bids.  This is a strange way to auction bid due to the WIS limitations, but typically in live auctions a lot of bids are last second. 

10/9/2013 9:53 PM
i think tarheel's idea makes sense
10/9/2013 11:22 PM
Jcred should get Jordan in that situation.
10/9/2013 11:29 PM
Posted by jhsukow on 10/9/2013 11:29:00 PM (view original):
Jcred should get Jordan in that situation.
I agree, if 2 people have the same bid, the first to bid should take it.
10/9/2013 11:39 PM
I am wrong in the earlier post - (which I removed)
when I answered jcred's chronological post question.

jhsukow, I agree with you.
ncmusisian_7 - I agree with you as well.

If there is no way to see the seconds - then it would be the first with that dollar figure having the claim for the 9:59.

I think my mind was hung up on seconds: 9:59 and then the latest seconds-
this example and the WIS site doesn't have seconds.

my bad

10/9/2013 11:52 PM
Last min bids (sniping) should be expected, it's simple how online bidding goes. Given the $1 increment, the likelyhood of a tie is probably small, but the first post at any given $ amount always owns that figure in the auction, all bids posting of the same dollar amount after that are nullified. In a system like ebay your bid would be rejected. If your sniping the auction would close on ebay before you could enter a second bid, and you simply lost. Unless you run multiple hardwired computers at gaming speeds..like who would do that???
10/10/2013 3:24 AM
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the "open" bids, that everyone can see.  Why not just have owners submit bids to the Commish (and his to someone else)?  That way, owners would have no reason to wait to submit bids, plus it would not benefit those who happen to have available computer access at 10:00.  In fact, as I type this, it may be a deal-breaker for me, as I know I'm not going to sit and stare at this site at 9:59 each night. 
10/10/2013 12:02 PM
Actually I am a fan of open bidding and think that close bidding really bring nothing of interest for me.
10/10/2013 4:42 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
AUCTION vol. One - (21 committed) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.