Newbie trading question Topic

Now go find out which of us bastards traded a closer for our crappy right fielder.
10/9/2013 3:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/9/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
This is usually fun:   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Will Springer  Cincy Roses RF.   .792 career OPS
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Yorman Santana  Det Engines RF.   .774
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Louie Sojo  Jax Courduroy   .818
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dan Ingram  Louisville Kracken   .767
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ben Rossy  Huntington Crew  .809

IOW, 60% of the owners who said "That RF sucks and can easily be replaced" are using lesser RF.    And the two that aren't are using RF that are just slightly better.

Don't you guys know that we can check your rosters?
Yea, I claimed Springer off waivers.  If someone wants to trade me a great reliever for him, I'd be thrilled.
10/9/2013 3:40 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 10/9/2013 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Now go find out which of us bastards traded a closer for our crappy right fielder.
I'm glad you said that.

Since you're offering a 90-100 IP relief pitcher, you're not going to get a better offer, IMO.   RPs are used at SIMMY's discretion.   Might be important innings, might not.   In my experience, trading RP is difficult.    I doubt I'd take the offer, unless I really needed a RF/1B, but I value my good RP more than a slightly ABOVE average COF.
10/9/2013 3:43 PM
BTW, funny that two of the "THAT GUY SUCKS" immediately defend their lesser RF.
10/9/2013 3:43 PM
I'm not sure what I'm defending.  Just pointing out that it's much easier to find a guy like Springer or the RF we're talking about than it is it find a guy like a great 100 IP relief pitcher.  
10/9/2013 3:50 PM
^ what he said.

Regardless, I hope that OP comes away with 2 important points: 1. There can be a lot of varying opinions, and 2. Don't be eager to trade in your first season.

10/9/2013 3:54 PM
Well, if you're going to say "That dude sucks.  You can find them anywhere", I'd suggest finding something better for YOUR team. 

It's the ol' "I only use pitchers with 80+ splits" bullshit.    If all your pitchers are 80+ splits, there are likely some really sucky teams in your 'tard world.
10/9/2013 4:15 PM
There are people here saying he's not a full time player (I didn't), and that's not true, he certainly is capable of playing every day.  So I get your point.  But he's an average RF.  The reliever is a great reliever.  You can probably wait and get a RF similar to that maybe in Rule 5, or right before spring training for under a million.  It's not worth trading your best reliever for this guy. 
10/9/2013 4:22 PM
My point is he's not really a R5 pick-up kind of guy(although I agree something similar might be found at the end of FA for 2m or so).    He's above average for a RF.   Otherwise, so many of us(I've got a full-time RF that's worse) wouldn't be using lesser players.
10/9/2013 4:30 PM
Just curious, Mike - when you plug him into your equation, do you get .800 OPS?  My gut says something more like .760-.770 or so.  (One of these days I'll dabble in making one of those)
10/9/2013 4:35 PM
Wow, this ignited a debate, huh? 

So, I'm curious, when evaluating the RF, how much do you take the 100 speed into account? That was one thing that caught my eye. Is the HDB universe like the real-life one where the stolen-base isn't all that valuable?
10/9/2013 5:22 PM
Posted by matt_wk64 on 10/9/2013 5:22:00 PM (view original):
Wow, this ignited a debate, huh? 

So, I'm curious, when evaluating the RF, how much do you take the 100 speed into account? That was one thing that caught my eye. Is the HDB universe like the real-life one where the stolen-base isn't all that valuable?
Speed doesn't equal stolen bases.
10/9/2013 6:12 PM
Now that I'm looking at his past stats, I can see that. So, what does equal stolen bases? Speed + baserunning + what else?
10/9/2013 6:26 PM

"Speed doesn't equal stolen bases."

In my experience, I don't agree with that, or rather I should say I think that's misleading.

Speed DOES equal stolen bases. But how many stolen bases is very largely dependent on your team's stolen bases settings.

In my experience...

Higher speed = more stolen bases

Lower base running = more times caught stealing

Both of those numbers increase as you increase your stolen base rating.

EG:

N Guapo- Spd- 94, BR- 71... on my Toronto team with few base stealers so the stolen base setting is 2. In almost a full season he had 46 steals and 6 times caught

M Espinosa
- Spd- 97, BR- 80... on my LV team, built with speed so the stolen base setting is 3. In his last full season he had 63 steals and 3 times caught

Obviously not an exact comparison, though their speed is very close, and Espinosa's BR is higher (I.E. less times caught).

Now regarding OP's RF in question, Harry Burnett... I'd guess with a steal rating of 3 and his 80 DUR he'd rack up something like 60-65 steals and 10-15 times caught. Something in that neighborhood anyway.

Thoughts?

10/9/2013 6:47 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/9/2013 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Just curious, Mike - when you plug him into your equation, do you get .800 OPS?  My gut says something more like .760-.770 or so.  (One of these days I'll dabble in making one of those)

I don't attempt to project stats.  I attempt to find the best player by using his ratings compared to the other options.

10/9/2013 7:31 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Newbie trading question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.