Future of Recruiting Topic

Posted by slid64er on 10/9/2013 7:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 10/9/2013 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Personally, I think recruiting should be left alone.  It's the only dependable aspect of the game.

This.

10/10/2013 3:45 AM
Posted by ebbets55 on 10/9/2013 11:36:00 PM (view original):
People in favor of keeping 100% of leftover recruiting money must have forgotten about the days when coaches literally had 7 figure "war chests."  There's not skill in plunking $100k into a recruit on the first cycle.

If anything, I think it should be evened out more so, by giving coaches who are new to a conference last year's bowl money.

I wouldnt have a problem with the bowl money staying with the school. 
10/10/2013 8:46 AM
Posted by ebbets55 on 10/9/2013 11:36:00 PM (view original):
People in favor of keeping 100% of leftover recruiting money must have forgotten about the days when coaches literally had 7 figure "war chests."  There's not skill in plunking $100k into a recruit on the first cycle.

If anything, I think it should be evened out more so, by giving coaches who are new to a conference last year's bowl money.

100% agree with ebbets. I was fortunate to have, almost always, high 6 figures, but it was a nightmare for the newbies, and the "have-nots" in the old days! The war chests made the new recruiters face almost impossible odds. I too think it would be a good idea for new coaches to keep the bowl money. It would help competitive balance.
10/10/2013 3:05 PM
I agree that a coach at a new school should get last year's bowl/playoff money.
10/10/2013 4:37 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 10/10/2013 4:37:00 PM (view original):
I agree that a coach at a new school should get last year's bowl/playoff money.
+1000 and  like the value rating(ex. 75.2) of a recruit also position roles.
10/10/2013 5:20 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 10/10/2013 12:35:00 AM (view original):
Recruiting works, but it sucks! Really - 20++ campus visits in D1A?!?!?!?! It can be made much better.
I'm with Katz on this, it works but it's nothing more than an auction....yawn.
10/11/2013 8:28 AM
If anything, recruiting should be rolled up into a Football Budget. If you want to keep left over money, then make us have to pay for coaches salaries (better coach - more $$$ - better player improvement - like HBD), pay for Trainers/Therapists (decreases injuries and recovery times), let us send certain players to "camp" to really improve skills, pay for better scouts (more $$$ - better reports), set value box for CV (from $1000 in increments to $50000) and you only get to offer it once, rather than multiple visits, make coaching visits have more impact and you can only visit one recruit each cycle.  Take away the e-mail that tells if you are leading or not when the player is yellow and a scholarship is on the table. And make it a few turns before they sign - even if they are green. It would also be interesting to have players call the school after recruiting starts, maybe 4 - 5 cycles after you have scouted them, and say they would like to play for you. There are lots of ideas that could be incorporated to make recruiting more fun.
10/11/2013 2:58 PM
1) I would like to see some recruits leaning my way before the recruiting period starts. We all know that schools in real life have great players who grew up loving them and no other team has a shot at those recruits.
2) Coaches should get a heads up on legacy players before the recruiting period begins.

10/11/2013 4:02 PM
Great ideas. A lot of this falls into my idea of in season recruiting. 

I do feel like player development can be improved. We have all seen the 5 stars that turn out to be crap and the 2 stars that make their way to the 1st round. I think that as this game gets worked on, it could become better and better. 
10/11/2013 7:05 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 10/11/2013 2:58:00 PM (view original):
If anything, recruiting should be rolled up into a Football Budget. If you want to keep left over money, then make us have to pay for coaches salaries (better coach - more $$$ - better player improvement - like HBD), pay for Trainers/Therapists (decreases injuries and recovery times), let us send certain players to "camp" to really improve skills, pay for better scouts (more $$$ - better reports), set value box for CV (from $1000 in increments to $50000) and you only get to offer it once, rather than multiple visits, make coaching visits have more impact and you can only visit one recruit each cycle.  Take away the e-mail that tells if you are leading or not when the player is yellow and a scholarship is on the table. And make it a few turns before they sign - even if they are green. It would also be interesting to have players call the school after recruiting starts, maybe 4 - 5 cycles after you have scouted them, and say they would like to play for you. There are lots of ideas that could be incorporated to make recruiting more fun.
Instead of offering once for a CV, how about setting the limit of official visits to 5 per recruit., just like the real world. This would really create a battle for the top recruits, and give a good reason why money should be saved each year. 
10/11/2013 7:11 PM
I updated the post header.
10/11/2013 7:14 PM
Do you want to settle for just the chocolate cake, which is really good? Or do you campaign to make it better by adding chocolate frosting?
10/11/2013 7:15 PM
Great ideas, but my fear, based on previous "improvements", is that WIS will **** on the chocolate cake and call it frosting.
10/11/2013 8:30 PM
Posted by slid64er on 10/11/2013 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Great ideas, but my fear, based on previous "improvements", is that WIS will **** on the chocolate cake and call it frosting.
I most certainly agree that we need more transparency to seeing what our developers are doing. It would make the consumers who pay to play this game feel safer about its direction.
10/11/2013 8:46 PM
I believe that bowl money earned by a school, regardless of the coach should stay with the school. 
The new coach shouldn't be punished because they moved to a potentially better situation. I understand the original idea was the stop coaches from jumping from job to job but if that is the case then just adjust the rep impact and be done with it.

Also, keeping 100% is a horrendous idea. War chests were horrible and titled the game way too much. Keeping 25% is fine. 

The only thing that really needs to be changed about recruiting is that there should be only 1 official visit that costs a pretty penny. A campus visit for a recruit extremely close to your school will cost $800, there should be a difference between those visits and the official one should only be able to be used once and cost 3-4 times a normal one. Similar to real life since the school then pays for everything.
10/11/2013 9:36 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Future of Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.