All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Oriole - Why such big changes so late?
10/16/2013 10:03 AM
The "throttling" was an (admittedly bad) idea I was toying with that would alter the advantage. I'm not messing with the scoring, but the idea was that if you are up large the chance would move a little towards more of an even advantage. I could argue that this is actually what happens in real life, once a team has a large lead, everyone on the team relaxes a bit, and doesn't play with the same vigor as if the game were still in doubt. I have taken that out and I'll be looking at the other issues that are plaguing the high scoring of the engine against inferior opponents. 

The engine is in pretty solid state at this point, and the changes that are made are just minor bug fixes and a couple of loopholes in game planning (example: all deep passes) that I'll be working on over the next few weeks. I'll be looking into specific stuff now, but I'm done toying with all of the throttling, so you can rest easy. 

10/16/2013 2:20 PM (edited)
Posted by oriole_fan on 10/16/2013 10:03:00 AM (view original):
The "throttling" was an (admittedly bad) idea I was toying with that would alter the advantage. I'm not messing with the scoring, but the idea was that if you are up large the chance would move a little towards more of an even advantage. I could argue that this is actually what happens in real life, once a team has a large lead, everyone on the team relaxes a bit, and doesn't play with the same vigor as if the game were still in doubt. I have taken that out and I'll be looking at the other issues that are plaguing the high scoring of the engine against inferior opponents. 

The engine is in pretty solid state at this point, and the changes that are made are just minor bug fixes and a couple of loopholes in game planning (example: all deep passes) that I'll be working on over the next few weeks. I'll be looking into specific stuff now, but I'm done toying with all of the throttling, so you can rest easy. 

Why are you concentrating on rewarding bad teams or punishing good teams?  This is one of the reasons 2.0 failed.  Let the games play out.  As long as two average teams play out reasonably, don't worry about the fringe teams.  Outliers will always have lopsided games against outliers on the other end of the curve. 

If the worlds are full, there will be far fewer crappy teams.  In 1.0, lopsided scores were rare.  Get the engine right, don't artificially limit good teams or inflate bad teams and fix the bugs mentioned in the various threads.  When the game is good, coaches will come, worlds will fill and lopsided games won't be an issue.  

I thought the game was close before this throttling attempt.  Now I'm wondering about the direction we're headed.
10/16/2013 2:29 PM
Your voices have been heard. I will not attempt another throttling technique. 
10/16/2013 8:34 PM
Posted by slid64er on 10/16/2013 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by oriole_fan on 10/16/2013 10:03:00 AM (view original):

Why are you concentrating on rewarding bad teams or punishing good teams?  This is one of the reasons 2.0 failed.  Let the games play out.  As long as two average teams play out reasonably, don't worry about the fringe teams.  Outliers will always have lopsided games against outliers on the other end of the curve. 

If the worlds are full, there will be far fewer crappy teams.  In 1.0, lopsided scores were rare.  Get the engine right, don't artificially limit good teams or inflate bad teams and fix the bugs mentioned in the various threads.  When the game is good, coaches will come, worlds will fill and lopsided games won't be an issue.  

I thought the game was close before this throttling attempt.  Now I'm wondering about the direction we're headed.
+1

In 1.0 lopsided scores mainly only involved abandoned teams.
10/19/2013 12:05 AM
oriole, thank you for listening and reacting so quickly. i for one am excited about 3.0 and have complete confidence in it being a better game than 2.0 from day 1 (it already is!) and believe it will get better over time. Thanks again for all of your hard work!
10/19/2013 8:02 AM
Hey oriole--I think what you have done with the game engine is very good for the game.

However, I just saw the player ratings chart that bhazlewood put out and the drastic changes had blood squirting out of my eyeballs.

Why oh why the drastic changes??

Speed means nothing for a defensive end? Speed is dramatically decreased in value for an outside LB?
Technique went from 26% of the value of a CB to 8%? Speed was dramatically decreased for a CB? Game instinct went
from 18% of a value of a fullback to 0.? And there are more but you get the point.
We recruited players based on certain values\ratings. Now some of these players just went from very good to average overnight. I think I just wasted
a lot of money building teams up based on their values and then you go and just change what makes a player valuable. I am ****** to say the
least. I will play the seasons out I have already paid for but luckily I only have 1 or 2 left.
IF I do put more money in and play more seasons---what guarantees can you give me that in a couple season from now you will not just change the player
values\ratings again and my recruiting, practice plans and team building efforts will be flushed down the toilet again for a second time?
Did you put ANY thought into this aspect???????????? ANY?????????????????

10/19/2013 8:06 AM

Before you go crucifying oriole for MY ratings, remember those are based on MY understanding of how the attributes are used. I could be totally off.

I think it's time I updated my "reserved for explanations" post with some explanations.

10/19/2013 1:16 PM
Posted by coach_deen on 10/19/2013 12:05:00 AM (view original):
oriole, thank you for listening and reacting so quickly. i for one am excited about 3.0 and have complete confidence in it being a better game than 2.0 from day 1 (it already is!) and believe it will get better over time. Thanks again for all of your hard work!
Amen! Oriole, nice job! I called you out a few times in the forums and you really stepped up and have created a much improved product. Still some ways to go, but definitely in a good spot. Well done!
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Oriole - Why such big changes so late?

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.