GUESS 3.0 Formulas - First Look Topic

I'm going to update my "reserved for explanation" post with some explanations.  Also, remember these are MY rating based on MY understanding of how the attributes are used.  I don't have access to the game code, obviously, so I could be WAY off in some areas.
10/19/2013 8:11 AM
Posted by heymon on 10/18/2013 10:17:00 PM (view original):
Am I to assume C/G/T are no longer different from each other in 3.0?
In the Dev Chat, oriole said the OL still functions as a single unit.  There isn't a reliance on T for outside runs vs G/C for inside runs.  Since there's no functional difference in them - but there IS a functional difference in run blocking vs pass blocking - I made the decision to forgo the T/G/C designations for now.
10/19/2013 8:49 AM
Thanks bhazelewood! Your help is always appreciated ! Hopefully the new game is better...
10/19/2013 10:09 AM
Is the GUESS page on gdreports going to be updated to show the new ratings formulas?
10/21/2013 11:33 AM
Yes, once they are finalized, I'll update them on the GUESS page also.
10/21/2013 12:42 PM
Looking at your formulas and not having seen how the new engine is set up, is it back to 1.0 in terms of whole sale line changes based on formation (pass/run)?  I see there are "playbooks" but havent looked at how detailed they are.  I am interested in getting back into the game and was just curious.  Thanks in advance.  Also the gdReports have always been great and a really nice addition to the game, you put in a lot of hard work and time with them!
10/21/2013 9:11 PM (edited)
Just being somewhat picky, but I didn't see a formula for a dual threat QB, which is what I'd like my QB to be.  Have they done anything about breaking down positions in practice plans?  After all, I'd like to have my fullback practice more on being a fullback and my other running backs learn what they need to to be great.  Also would like my safeties to learn how to be better safeties and my corners to be better corners.
10/21/2013 9:48 PM
Posted by mktulu on 10/21/2013 9:11:00 PM (view original):
Looking at your formulas and not having seen how the new engine is set up, is it back to 1.0 in terms of whole sale line changes based on formation (pass/run)?  I see there are "playbooks" but havent looked at how detailed they are.  I am interested in getting back into the game and was just curious.  Thanks in advance.  Also the gdReports have always been great and a really nice addition to the game, you put in a lot of hard work and time with them!
Its harder to pull this off now, but yes you can do that. 
10/21/2013 11:01 PM
Posted by Animal7 on 10/21/2013 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Just being somewhat picky, but I didn't see a formula for a dual threat QB, which is what I'd like my QB to be.  Have they done anything about breaking down positions in practice plans?  After all, I'd like to have my fullback practice more on being a fullback and my other running backs learn what they need to to be great.  Also would like my safeties to learn how to be better safeties and my corners to be better corners.
That's the nice thing about the "User" position roles, you can set up your own ratings / formulas.

I agree with you on the practice plans, it would be nice (if somewhat tedious to set up) to be able to tailor practice plans to individual players.
10/21/2013 11:15 PM
Posted by noah23 on 10/21/2013 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mktulu on 10/21/2013 9:11:00 PM (view original):
Its harder to pull this off now, but yes you can do that. 
And with fatigue still not being a major factor in line play, there's no real reason to do so anyway.
10/21/2013 11:17 PM
Posted by tooslim on 10/19/2013 7:42:00 AM (view original):

I could see the need for the game engine to be fixed and the randomness toned down a decent amount. However if these ratings are correct--it is a slap in the face to our current rosters. We recruit players with certain characteristics\ratings so they will be good players. Now a lot of these players just had their value severely slashed. Here are the problems:
1. Speed is not a factor for a Defensive End?
2. Speed has been dramatically decreased as a value for an Outside Linebacker? Has the game engine programmer ever watched a football game in his life? I seriously doubt it.
3. Speed has been dramatically decreased as a value for a Cornerback? See above comments.
4. Technique went from 26% of the CB's value to 8%? So glad I have a lot of high technique CBs on my rosters.
4. Those of us who recruited fullbacks can now think about cutting those players as G\I--which used to be very valuable to a fullback is now a big fat 0 in the new ratings.
There is more but these are the biggest changes I saw and don't agree with.
The HUGE problem is we recruited players because of their ratings and now the value of players has drastically changed. I see no reason whatsoever for the drastic change of values. 
Now we are expected to pay for 4 more seasons to change how our rosters are constructed and watch very good players we did recruit become average players.
Maybe I will warm to the new game and then again maybe I will not. Right now I am thinking that I just wasted money on the last 3 or 4 seasons that I have played in 3 different worlds and not sure if I want to start over.

This is why I have said the Worlds need to be rebooted. Let everyone keep the records and what not but reset rosters like it was season 1 of the Worlds so we can build rosters according to the different ratings. However, as usual, Oriole_fan doesn't respond to the question when I ask it.
10/22/2013 12:18 AM
This is why Norbert had said he would give us a heads up saying at some point "we are going to be changing over in a couple months" to get people ready for it. Got lost in the transition. 
10/22/2013 1:39 AM
Posted by secret_agent on 10/22/2013 12:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tooslim on 10/19/2013 7:42:00 AM (view original):

I could see the need for the game engine to be fixed and the randomness toned down a decent amount. However if these ratings are correct--it is a slap in the face to our current rosters. We recruit players with certain characteristics\ratings so they will be good players. Now a lot of these players just had their value severely slashed. Here are the problems:
1. Speed is not a factor for a Defensive End?
2. Speed has been dramatically decreased as a value for an Outside Linebacker? Has the game engine programmer ever watched a football game in his life? I seriously doubt it.
3. Speed has been dramatically decreased as a value for a Cornerback? See above comments.
4. Technique went from 26% of the CB's value to 8%? So glad I have a lot of high technique CBs on my rosters.
4. Those of us who recruited fullbacks can now think about cutting those players as G\I--which used to be very valuable to a fullback is now a big fat 0 in the new ratings.
There is more but these are the biggest changes I saw and don't agree with.
The HUGE problem is we recruited players because of their ratings and now the value of players has drastically changed. I see no reason whatsoever for the drastic change of values. 
Now we are expected to pay for 4 more seasons to change how our rosters are constructed and watch very good players we did recruit become average players.
Maybe I will warm to the new game and then again maybe I will not. Right now I am thinking that I just wasted money on the last 3 or 4 seasons that I have played in 3 different worlds and not sure if I want to start over.

This is why I have said the Worlds need to be rebooted. Let everyone keep the records and what not but reset rosters like it was season 1 of the Worlds so we can build rosters according to the different ratings. However, as usual, Oriole_fan doesn't respond to the question when I ask it.
The rankings are not WIS, they're from Bob and his hard work.  WIS has been known to under/over value very critical attributes in the past.  It wouldn't surprise me if what they say is important and how the games actually play out are not fully reflected in what Bob has put together from conversations with WIS.
10/22/2013 1:55 AM
I was a surprised as anyone when they made the announcement that the new engine was going live. I have to assume it came down to a business decision to try and push it out during college FB season.  One would think that they would try and flex some of the advertising muscle that FoxSports gives them, but they have failed to take advantage of it in the past.

I'm assuming that oriole is hard at work fixing the remaining bugs. As far as I know,  he's not said anything since the dev chat.
10/22/2013 8:06 AM (edited)
And Yost & Bryant go live tomorrow. Should be interesting.
10/22/2013 9:26 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
GUESS 3.0 Formulas - First Look Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.