All Forums > SimLeague Basketball > NBA > No Lakers Thread This Season?
11/25/2013 6:12 PM
Bill Simmons often talks about three types of people:

You can be Michael, Fredo, or Sonny.

Kobe clearly made the Sonny choice.  Duncan made the Michael choice.  I am expecting Melo to make the Fredo choice.

Kobe made a short term decision that focused on him in the moment.  Regardless of how much Kobe gets paid the fans, Nike, and everyone else is going to find him, but by not taking less hampers team growth in the next couple of years.  The Lakers will not be contenders unless some other GM wants to give them another sweetheart deal.
11/25/2013 6:26 PM
Players want to play for the Lakers (and Celtics), for the same reason guys in other sports want to play for the Cowboys or the Yankees.  They want to play for a storied franchise, that always has at least a shot of winning it all, while being in the spotlight.  Do you think guys really grew-up saying "I want to be a Raptor.", or "Some day I want to play for Memphis."?  For some players it's about winning, for others it's about money, but for some it's about the experience.  Those players will always chose the Lakers, if the Lakers give them the chance.
4/2/2014 9:11 AM
Since the Lakers have zero history in rebuilding, I'm almost sure they will try to trade their pick for a younger established player (to pair with Kobe, persuade Pau to stay, and lure one other "name" to LA, before Love returns home in 2015-16).  Anybody have any possible targets, and how high do you think the pick would need to be to get that player?

4/2/2014 12:11 PM
I don't see them trading their pick. They'll have the 6th pick right now. Obviously they could go as low as 9th, but that's highly unlikely to get jumped by a bunch of teams, plus they could move up if they win one of the spots.

Draftees are cheap and any trade will bring in either a guy closer to FA and bringing in more money, or a guy already more highly paid. They need a homerun on the pick. Kobe's contract murdered their ability to bring in a suitable cast for the Lakers to win anytime soon.
4/2/2014 4:42 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 4/2/2014 12:11:00 PM (view original):
I don't see them trading their pick. They'll have the 6th pick right now. Obviously they could go as low as 9th, but that's highly unlikely to get jumped by a bunch of teams, plus they could move up if they win one of the spots.

Draftees are cheap and any trade will bring in either a guy closer to FA and bringing in more money, or a guy already more highly paid. They need a homerun on the pick. Kobe's contract murdered their ability to bring in a suitable cast for the Lakers to win anytime soon.
I see things that way too, but I doubt the Lakers do, and I know Kobe doesn't.
4/2/2014 6:43 PM
prediction:  Lakers get the 1st pick.
4/2/2014 9:43 PM (edited)
the Lakers will get someone like Exum or Smart or maybe Randle at the 4-7 spot and then they will resign some of their more promising driftwood/projects (Blazemore/Meeks/Marshall/Kelly et al?) and maybe make a run at a Lowry or Monroe as long as the bidding doesn't get too extreme (with the new CBA we may be surprised at how low the bar gets set on some of these guys - or maybe that's wishful thinking) - maybe they resign Pau if he comes cheap enough but I wont blame him if he goes somewhere more promising - Kobe will ***** a bit possibly but he took the 24m so cant have it both ways

meanwhile the fans calling for MDA's head are a) idiots and b) probably out of luck- idiots because Christ Jesus couldn't get this team over 30 wins (unless he was getting heavy favors from his dad ala 'Hey Nick Young my dad sez you get to be Mike circa 89 for a year' etc) and out of luck because the rebuild is one more year just like MDA's contract

as for Mr Nash I hope he comes back and finds a way to finish on his own terms but whatever happens they absolutely should not stretch him - just let him play it out - maybe you can even find somebody willing to dump a pick &/or prospect for his expiring? who knows? But in any event worst case is it washes a year from June and is done (and you don't look like a-hole welchers in meanwhile?)
of 2
All Forums > SimLeague Basketball > NBA > No Lakers Thread This Season?

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.