N.L. MVP Topic

FTFY

"I give him some credit beyond his WAR because I don't think we have defensive metrics figured out yet."

11/19/2013 12:43 PM
While ignoring WAR, BL and I are somewhat on the same page.    We're talking about things that can't be measured.   Grit, heart, leadership, blah, blah, blah.    Do they exist and do they matter?  I think the answer is yes.   Do they bolt an obviously inferior player, measured by stats, to the top because everyone speaks well of him?    Not in my opinion.
11/19/2013 12:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/19/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
FTFY

"I give him some credit beyond his WAR because I don't think we have defensive metrics figured out yet."

UZR for most positions is pretty good. It isn't great for first basemen and I don't even look at it for catchers.
11/19/2013 1:09 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 11/19/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/18/2013 8:05:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure it also has to do with the "value" argument. I think McCutchen is more valuable to the success of the Pirates than Molina is to the Cards. And McCutchen played in 21 more games this season.
That's highly debatable. I can't find the exact record anywhere, but the Cards' slump that drppoed them out of 1st last season coincided with Molina's injury and absence from the lineup. I think they played below .500 in that stretch.
You have to go deeper than that.   Did the Cards slump at the plate?  Were they playing better competition?   Did the pitchers suddenly stink?   Wasn't Molina around to "lead" them anyway?   How did his replacement do?
11/19/2013 1:11 PM
◂ Prev 12
N.L. MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.