D3, Season 70 Topic

Looks like the two most dominant programs in Rupp this season managed to navigate the gauntlet and will face each other tonight for the national title. Good luck to the X-man brianxavier and to pseudochamp (who I have to cheer for since he's piloting my alma mater...they could be playing bagpipes in the old oak grove tonight!).

Personal loyalties aside though, it's almost scary the way Millsaps has steered their ship through both the tournament and regular season to get to this point.
1/7/2014 9:00 AM
Congrats to bunkerbuster on winning the PI title.... with all freshmen and sophomores.  Wow.  I guess we all know where that team is heading in the next 2-3 seasons.  Yikes.
1/7/2014 3:05 PM (edited)
I am so shocked about the finals!  Shocked, I tell ya!
1/7/2014 11:33 AM
Congrats to brian and pseudo for fantastic seasons.  

Also congrats to bunkerbuster on the PI title with the all FR/SO. Nice to know he won't be recruiting in my area for the next 2 seasons!

1/7/2014 1:33 PM
I'll try to keep it together long enough for a Final Four recap.  As I type this, I'm at work and wearing my bright yellow Wooster "Fear the Scots" t-shirt.  I can't wait for my coworkers to ask about it so I have to explain my pretend basketball team to them.  Good times.

First off, congrats to Piedmont and bunkerbuster who took home the PI title last night after a 86-76 victory over Howard Payne.  H-Payne bombed away from 3pt land all game but Piedmont had too much inside and forced 29 fouls, sinking 34 of 43 free throws.  As mentioned by others, Peidmont had six sophomores and six freshmen this season so um, best of luck to the rest of the USA South the next couple years.  Enjoy having that team on your schedule a couple times.

Moving over to the NT, in the first of two final four games top-seeded Millsaps moved to an impressive 34-0 on the season with an 89-63 defeat of 4-seed Dickinson.  About eight minutes into the game Dickinson was in the lead 11-9.  Over the remaining twelve minutes of the first half Millsaps outscored them 31 to 11 en route to a big 40-22 halftime lead.  Millsaps kept up the pressure after the break and pretty much maintained the lead the rest of the way to stay undefeated on the season.

The other game was a much closer affair with both teams battling the entire forty minutes.  1-seed Wooster was able to make a run at the end of the first half and went into the locker room with a 45-37 halftime lead.  It was far from over though as 3-seed Emory quickly closed the gap when play resumed and were able to take the lead a couple times midway through the second.  Shortly after that, Wooster again went on a run to retake and expand the lead but could never quite knock Emory out for good.  The Fighting Scots were up 10 with three minutes to play but some fierce Emory defense and missed Wooster free throws made for a close finish.  Enough free throws went down in the last minute for Wooster to survive, 83-78.

So that sets up two 1 seeds in the final game, undefeated Millsaps against 32-2 Wooster.  One team has been the undisputed #1 team throughout the year while the other has bounced between #2 and #3 most of the time.  And apparently the odds-makers are on drugs because they have Wooster as a 4 point favorite, not sure where that came from.  These two played an exhibition game on the second day of the season this year with Wooster prevailing at home in overtime 90-86.

Good luck tonight brian, hopefully it's a classic.

1/7/2014 2:10 PM
Winner in the D3 National Championship?

Votes: 19
(Last vote received: 1/14/2014 2:54 PM)
1/7/2014 3:13 PM
It's a good thing you posted the poll instead of me, otherwise there probably would've been a bacon-related option.
1/7/2014 3:34 PM
 I thought about adding something funny, but that's not my strong point.  GL tonight Pseudo!  Turkey Bacon sandwich for lunch -- I'll consider that an good omen.
1/7/2014 4:29 PM
Bacon is always a good omen.
1/7/2014 5:31 PM
Congrats, pseudochamp, on the surprisingly easy win--your first, I believe, unless you have a more successful alternate WIS ID.  Your players must have been wearing their alternate "kilt" uniforms and scared the...er...pants off of the Millsaps players.

Anyway, you give me hope that those of us who usually have trouble escaping the early rounds can indeed win the whole thing (please forgive my self-pitying comment: this season was only my fifth trip past the sweet 16 in my 37 NT appearances).

Tough loss for you, brian, though I know you'll reload as you always do.  I'm sure Millsaps will finish off one of these deep tourney runs someday--and sooner rather than later, I'd bet.

See you all next season!

1/8/2014 2:18 AM
I really don't know how to explain this... psuedo- you are the champ!
1/8/2014 7:34 AM
Hats off to pseudo as well.  Obviously I'm disappointed that I couldn't break the algorithm curse that seems to run deep with my Millsaps team.  I am now 0-5 in NT title games with Millsaps.  Ouch.  On the other hand, it's hard to complain when you get that far so many times.  That's gotta count for something right?!  Very happy for pseudo to win it all - seems like a great guy and does a lot for the enjoyment of this world.  Enjoy the off season folks.
1/8/2014 8:48 AM
Someone call pseudo in sick to work today...that champagne hangover is going to be crazy good!  Congrats on taking Wooster to the top of the pile and getting the title man! If I can't figure this game out well enough to get my own team on top of the heap, I can at least cheer seeing my alma mater's name up there!
1/8/2014 8:50 AM
I know that this is just a fantasy game, but I really enjoy playing it. Guys like Pseudo and Brian enhance my experience playing this game because of how much they put into it. I love reading Pseudo's day by day break downs. Congratulations Psdeudo on winning it all. You truly do deserve it. Brian, I know that you are probably pretty frustrated this morning given the result. I guarantee that if you keep doing what you are doing that you WILL win a National Championship sooner than later. You deserve it probably more than anyone in here. So keep chugging out powerhouses and your day will come. You both should be proud of what you have done and it's guys like you that remind the rest of us why this game has really turned into something special.
1/8/2014 9:07 AM
I want know what the chances are Pseudo washed his Wooster shirt after work yesterday and is wearing it again today.  Or the chances he's wearing it again without washing it first.  
1/8/2014 9:46 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
D3, Season 70 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.