1980-81 NFL Franchise Progressive Discussion Page Topic

Official Discussion Thread

Below is a copy of the recent sitemail sent to all owners.  Please post your vote below:

Subject:
NFL Franchise Progressive League
We are now at 19 owners in and wanted to get started on some of the initial work to get the league up and going.

There have been some suggestions about the # of keepers, keeper salary and using a single year instead of progressing 2 years at a time.

If we try to come up with a plan that all 19 (and ultimately 24) owners are completely happy with we'll never get off the ground. So here are a couple of small tweaks I'd like to propose and if everybody is good with it then we'll go from there.

Currently as advertised, it is keeper 3 players (in addition to the Def/OL/ST units) for a max keeper salary of $40 million.

I propose we allow 5 keepers (plus Def/OL/ST) and a max keeper salary of $45 million.

Here is my rationale.....I want to make it where each team starts off with some players who were part of their team's real life roster in 1980 and/or 1981 while at the same time not giving any team too big of an up front advantage before we even start. It's kind of a slipperly slope but I think 5 keepers and (instead of 3) and $45MM (instead of $40MM) is a good place to be.

I will start a Discussion Thread in Theme League section. Please go there and vote:

YES to change it to 5 keepers/$45 million

NO to leave it at 3 keepers/$40 million

Thanks,
Andy (neabaseball)
12/3/2013 3:56 PM
hoopsrus
To:
neabaseball
Received:
12/3/2013 4:06:00 PM
Subject:
RE: NFL Franchise Progressive League
I'm YES to both 45M and 5 Keepers, with the caveat that I think we can inrease even a little higher, I would be good with 48M if there is consensus.

12/3/2013 5:31 PM
YES
12/3/2013 6:29 PM
YES
12/3/2013 7:34 PM
YES
12/4/2013 7:06 AM
yes
12/4/2013 7:34 AM
Yes
12/4/2013 7:13 PM
Yes
12/5/2013 12:44 AM
Quick clarification so that I make sure I understand the rules correctly:

For the inaugural season, all keepers come from the actual roster of the franchise we have chosen, both DEF/OL/ST and positional players.

However, for all subsequent seasons do we continue to keep our own franchise DEF/OL/ST, but select our position keepers from anyone we've drafted, whether they played for our franchise or not?  This is how I understand it, just want to make sure I've got it right.

For example, for the 1982/1983 draft, let's say New Orleans owns the #1 pick -- they could take Elway, Marino, Marcus Allen, or whoever they want from those two draft classes with the #1 pick and that person could then become a keeper for them for future seasons, even though they never played for the Saints IRL.  Meanwhile, they would continue to use actual Saints DEF/OL/ST every year.  Correct?
12/5/2013 8:03 AM
Posted by will_prosper on 12/5/2013 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Quick clarification so that I make sure I understand the rules correctly:

For the inaugural season, all keepers come from the actual roster of the franchise we have chosen, both DEF/OL/ST and positional players.

However, for all subsequent seasons do we continue to keep our own franchise DEF/OL/ST, but select our position keepers from anyone we've drafted, whether they played for our franchise or not?  This is how I understand it, just want to make sure I've got it right.

For example, for the 1982/1983 draft, let's say New Orleans owns the #1 pick -- they could take Elway, Marino, Marcus Allen, or whoever they want from those two draft classes with the #1 pick and that person could then become a keeper for them for future seasons, even though they never played for the Saints IRL.  Meanwhile, they would continue to use actual Saints DEF/OL/ST every year.  Correct?
You are 100% correct
12/5/2013 10:06 AM
Everybody that responded so far has been in favor of changing # of keepers to 5 and raising keeper salary to $45 million.

One other idea I've had that might be worth considering.....give me your thoughts in the discussion thread and depending on sentiment, we'll either consider adding it to the league or not.

To give it a little more franchise flair, what if each owner had the ability to protect one future player per decade. This player must have started his career with your franchise in order for you to protect him. Each team would get one player to protect in the 80's, one in the 90's, one in the 00's and one in the 10's. For example, as the Seahawks owner, I might protect RB Curt Warner in the 80's, WR Joey Galloway in the 90's, Shaun Alexander in the 00's and Russell Wilson in the 10's.

In order for this to work, there must be some kind of tradeoff that an owner commits to in exchange for getting to cherry pick what would otherwise be a very attractive draft pick. I propose we develop a formula based on rushing/receiving yards and/or passing yards on a career basis. A sliding scale could be developed that could be used to determine how much the protecting owner must give up in exchange.

For example, if the player falls into category A, then the owner must forfeit his 1st and 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. If category B, he must forfeit his #1 pick in this year and next year's draft. If category C, he must forfeit his #1/#2 in this year's draft and #1 pick in next year's draft. category D, he must forfeit his #1/#2 in both this year and next year's draft.

The formula could be something like this......each player's career rushing and receiving yds added together and rounded to nearest 1000. The player gets 1 pt for each 1000 yards he had in his career (e.g. 8900 career yds = 9 pts). QB's get 1 pt for each 2000 career yards (e.g. 24,200 career passing yds = 12 pts). If the QB also had 2000 rushing yds, then he would get 14 pts.

Category A = 0-7 pts, B = 8-13 pts, C = 14-19 pts, D = 20+ pts

I'm just throwing this formula and scale out there as an example....I'd say if we as a group like the concept then we could cuss and discuss the specific methods we come up with to facilitate this option.

Let me know in the forums what you think and/or if you have any different ideas that might work better.

Thanks,
Andy
12/6/2013 11:29 AM
This latest idea is just food for thought while we wait for the last few spots to fill.......would only consider changing to that method if the owners strongly supported the idea.
12/6/2013 2:25 PM
I love this idea, but I would like to see the cost for selecting players in categories A and B scaled back a bit. I'm not sure that some players in these categories would even be worth more than a 1st round pick. Also, we may want to consider adjusting the cost for these players based on draft position. If have the #1 pick in the year that my  chosen player is a rookie, it might not even be worth it for me to use the pick on him.

Just some details to think about. I like having a bit more "franchise flair."

12/6/2013 3:04 PM
Posted by ddprime on 12/6/2013 3:04:00 PM (view original):
I love this idea, but I would like to see the cost for selecting players in categories A and B scaled back a bit. I'm not sure that some players in these categories would even be worth more than a 1st round pick. Also, we may want to consider adjusting the cost for these players based on draft position. If have the #1 pick in the year that my  chosen player is a rookie, it might not even be worth it for me to use the pick on him.

Just some details to think about. I like having a bit more "franchise flair."

Remember, each owner would basically be selecting the best player of the decade from their franchise......in most cases that's going to be more valuable that even the category A cost.  Also, if this rule was implemented, it wouldn't be a requirement that each owner use this feature.  If they didn't feel that there was a franchise player worthy of the cost, then they could opt not to utilize this feature and just keep their draft picks.

12/6/2013 4:12 PM
In most cases it probably would be worth it, but I think it would depend on how high a draft pick the team had that year.

Also, I was wondering if it would make more sense to say that the franchise player must have played the majority of his career with your franchise (as opposed to starting his career with it). For example, Curtis Martin is the Jets' all time rushing leader, but he played 3 years with New England before coming to New York. Even though he didn't start his career with the Jets, I consider him more of a Jets franchise player than a Pats franchise player.
12/6/2013 8:32 PM (edited)
123 Next ▸
1980-81 NFL Franchise Progressive Discussion Page Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.