SimLeague Baseball Update Topic

I think I hear the band playing on the Titanic.
12/30/2013 2:05 PM

Is it just me, or did that sound like something Dilbert's boss would say?

1/2/2014 8:05 AM
I'm not an IT guy but it appears what he said was that they are doing no additional updates until they have migrated to a new platform.  It would be fun to talk about how fast you can drive your car but until you have a car, it doesnt matter.  Many of you have played other sites, if in fact there are alternatives, I would like to hear about them.  Doesn't mean we are leaving now, but does provide some options and leverage to make the "early in 2014" earlier.
1/2/2014 10:30 AM

Promises, promises... at this point, I'll believe it when I see it. It all comes down to credibility.... at this point there isn't much. They need to earn it again.

In the mean time, I continue to play 6 progressives... and look forward to the day that I can have fun playing 30 teams at a time again.

1/2/2014 11:01 AM
I agree with creeper in that I would like to know what those "other options" are just in case.
1/2/2014 3:50 PM
Guys, I don't think there are any other sites that can compare to WIS. If there are, please post a link. Thanks!
1/2/2014 4:58 PM
Strat-O-Matic online (not the Windows game, though it is based on that) is the closest thing to WIS, it has some advantages and disadvantages compared to WIS.  I prefer WIS though, primarily due to -

- WIS lower price, I think around $10 cheaper for one team
- WIS more realistic fatigue system, while it's certainly not perfect it works a lot better than SOMO, where modern day relievers can pitch well over 100+ innings and SP's with over 200 IP's in real life can pitch on 3 days rest all season.  Position players are rated for injuries, sometimes it comes out close to real life, other times you will see a limited use player in real life end up with 500-600 ab's.
- In SOMO it's very difficult to get 24 team leagues to fill, most of the leagues are 12 team leagues (12 and 24 are the only options).
- The WIS player search engine is way better than SOMO's.
- While there are lots of progressive leagues in SOMO, Strat does nothing to support them. 

I also play in some Strat Windows leagues, those are fun and more in-depth than WIS but require a commish who does a lot of work importing managers, exporting league files, etc.  Two other similar games are Action PC Baseball (Dave Koch Sports), and Dynasty League Baseball.  Again, they are fun and depending on the how the league is run more realisic than WIS, but they require more time and effort than WIS. 

Edit - I'm not excusing WIS for their inaction, and if they don't start generating some good faith soon they will lose a lot of people, but unfortunately this is probably the best baseball sim of it's kind if you are looking for strictly an online game that does not require much time and effort.

1/2/2014 6:19 PM (edited)
Thanks for the input, mountain jack.
1/2/2014 9:14 PM
I bought OOTP last night (half price - $19.95) and am going through the learning process.  A lot more detailed than WIS and it offers on-line leagues, but I won't venture there until I learn more about the game itself.

S-O-M was awesome fun in the late 60's all the way through the late 80's when the group I played with decided to turn to fantasy baseball.    I personally liked the S-O-M football game head to head...simple to play but great fun for many years!
1/3/2014 3:20 AM
Scott, I've been playing OOTP off and on for over 10 years... fun game... but wish they would incorperate some of the options available at WIS. I have not joined any on line leagues though.... so if you do, let me know how that works out... maybe I'll jump in with ya!
1/3/2014 9:28 AM
What does "OOTP" stand for?
1/3/2014 10:00 AM
"Out of the Park"
1/3/2014 11:10 AM
Will do Al!  
1/3/2014 4:25 PM
I've been checking out ootp also,but haven't made the jump to the on line leagues.....it's a different game for sure
1/3/2014 7:08 PM
I've played in some OOTP online leagues.  Be prepared for the possibility of lopsided trades and high owner turnover.
1/3/2014 9:29 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
SimLeague Baseball Update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.